< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Trouble with Ultramx Remanufactured Ammo.....  (Read 1199 times)

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Trouble with Ultramx Remanufactured Ammo.....
« on: January 21, 2009, 11:27:12 AM »
......last nite at Tuesday Nite Muzzle Music Club.......

I went to TheBulletHole for IDPA and bought a box of 9's as usual (-still have not gotten around to developing a load yet!) and loaded up the mags for IDPA.  Four targets in, the EMP locks up, almost in battery, and will not allow me to retract the slide........

.....turns out, upon further investigation, about 1/2 of the rounds  in the box of Ultramax remanufactured ammo (commercial reloads usinf once fired brass, as I understand it) I had just purchased were bulged just in front of the case head, some worse than others....... I checked them by taking the gun apart and trying to drop each one into the chamber...... less than 1/2 would drop in, and 1/2 of those that would not would not come out if you attempted to push them in.  I had a nother guy check them in the chamber of his crunchenticker (a SIG, IIRC) and he had no problems with any of them.

The chamber of the EMP started out squeaky clean, and was not all that dirty after the 7 rounds that went out prior to it locking up....... i guess it just has a tight chamber: I'll have to be extra-diligent when I start handloading for it.

TheBulletHole was more than generous- they replaced the Ultramax remanufactured stuff with NEW PMC and thanked me for pointing out the problem!  Excellent CS! 
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Trouble with Ultramx Remanufactured Ammo.....
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 11:56:40 AM »
Glad to hear the guys at TBH took care of you.

I know everyone here already knows this, including you, Jim  ;) , but this is a good opportunity to remind us all to never carry ammuntion in your carry gun that you have not proven to run 100% reliably in your particular firearm, and when loading up your mags (or cylinders) be sure to take some extra time to inspect each individual round.

That would not have been very much fun if the targets were shooting back!

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 07:05:39 PM »
Happened to me a few weeks back with the 9mm. Except only 1 out of two boxes.
Mike

USAF 82-88, American Legion, NFOA,  NRA

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 07:07:21 PM »
Jim, in the case of self defense and competition cartridges, I use a max cartridge gauge on all ammo I want to make sure will chamber before I load it in the mags ,  and all reloads I make are gauged before they are boxed

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline USN Retired

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »
That is cool! I'm going to have to order me one of those. Thanks for the info.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -unknown