< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Public display of support for LB430  (Read 2309 times)

Offline ranger04

• Valued Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
Public display of support for LB430
« on: January 22, 2009, 08:28:31 AM »
I have posted before that we need to put on a public display for LB435, on NECCW there seems to be some support for this. Putting several hundred gun owners on the state capitol steps would make a pretty bold statement. What do you all think? I  beleive we need to do this on a day the legislaure is in session, I would take a day of vacation to go to Lincoln to participate and I know of several others that would do the same.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 07:44:44 PM by Dan W »

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Public display of support for LB435
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 09:09:19 AM »
Just speaking for myself here...

I would participate in this, but it would take a bunch of organizing in a short amount of time. NFOA has really come a long way in the couple short months it has existed, but it is still very much in its infancy. I'm not saying we still can't pull something off this session, but I am really looking forward to when we are more established and have to dedicate less time to just getting the organization up and running and more time organizing events like you are bringing up now. Maybe between ccwne and the site here, we could come up with enough people to make it worth while, but we would need to start working on it now.

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 09:43:54 AM »
I think you mean LB430.  LB435 is an HHS bill dealing with emergency housing and RV use....

I kind of disagree, I think if the bill is going to make it to the main floor for voting we definitely shoudl show up on the capital steps en masse to show our support! However if it never makes it out of committee we should not bother with the large group.

That said we do need to keep an eye on the committee hearings for when this bill comes up!  AND we need to show up with as many as possible to the public hearings for this bill (and the other bills that we oppose) with as many varied witnesses with different points of view and different support points (or objections) to the bill as possible.  Keep an eye on the judiciary committee hearings page!!!
N0ZXR

Offline ranger04

• Valued Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 09:53:38 AM »
My bad, I stand corrected on the bill number, Thanks. I agree with you for the most part, and get a group together to go to the hearing on the bill would be great. I have testified at a couple of hearings so far and would be will to do so again. Putting a group together to go support this bill if it gets  to the floor would send a pretty bold statement. Ater all it is OUR 2nd Amendment rights were are looking after. I think we should do it.

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 09:58:15 AM »
I kind of disagree again, going as a group means the committee will view us as 1 entity instead of a lot of single citizens with different opinions and reasons to support or oppose the bill. I think 10 people each with their own prepared concerns that differ are way better than 10 people saying the same thing. 

Just my $.02 cents, it would be nice to fill the hearing room with 1000 supporters but I just dont think that'll happen. 
N0ZXR

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 10:17:52 AM »
Going as a group to testify could be the best thing we ever did if we could get together and organize and critique our individual testimonies ahead of time. Planning and preparation is everything. Getting together as a group would allow us to coordinate our testimonies to insure we are covering all bases without repeating ourselves. It would also allow for the group to help refine everyone's speech. Also, it would allow us to reserve some of our quickest thinkers for later in the hearing so that they could speak in response to comments made during the testimonies, or to correct any misinformation. We would still be acting and speaking as individuals, just with the help and preparation offered by the group.

Also, going as a group is good for moral support.

So, I kind of agree with both of you.

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 02:34:39 PM »
I am in favor of folks testifying at the public hearing.  The anti-gun folks will certainly have their testimony times at the public hearing.

Not sure if it still works the same way, but many moons ago I was involved in health insurance legislation open hearings at the Capitol.  First went one group (those of testifying in favor of such-and-such bill), and then went the second group (the big wigs from the insurance industry who were against such-and-such bill).  Interestingly, when the second group made comments that were flat out lies, and the first group wanted to go back up to the mike and have a chance to say differently, the first group was told that they could not...that the parliamentary procedure did not allow for there to be a debate back and forth at the mike!

So, again, I don't know if it is set up the same way of each "side" having a designated speaking time, or if they would allow for a counter-statement to be made.  If it is the latter, then Jay is right on the mney of saving one's quicker thinkers/speaker for the counter remarks.

At that prior time, we had a legislative aid helping us out as to what can and cannot be done.  Perhaps one of Senator Christensen's aides would do the same.
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 02:54:54 PM »
I have testified before, and saving someone for counterpoints is even more for discussion that is brought up on our side. When you only have 3 minutes to speak, and you have a prepared statement, you just plain don't have enough time to give your presentation, plus counter any discussion that may occur during your presentation, or during proceeding presentations.

Ashford was great at making asinine comments during several presentations that made me want to jump out of my seat, in fact a couple of times I couldn't contain myself and said something outloud from my seat  :-\ . (I had already spoken.)  It would be nice to have at least one person that could use notes we were taking throughout the hearing to use their time at the mike to counter such comments or questions.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Public display of support for LB430
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 07:46:30 PM »
ranger04,  I edited the title  to prevent any confusion for the readers
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
Re: Public display of support for LB430
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 08:44:39 PM »
"...in fact a couple of times I couldn't contain myself and said something outloud from my seat  :-\ . (I had already spoken.)..."

Jay, I know what you mean. Way back when, I had started to do the same, and that is when the legal aide came in handy to chill things with our group so that we did not cause any turbulance with the committee.  Because of her position, she was able to go immediately afterwards to the chair of the committee and explain what had transpired re the other group not telling the truth; the committee chair gave our group until the next morning to fax him proof that the other group was lying; we did just that, and it was amazing how the facts were able to be in our favor...along with not going bezerko from the audience. :)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 08:45:53 PM by Aldo »
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan