< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Why I am done with Cabelas.  (Read 4761 times)

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
Why I am done with Cabelas.
« on: September 24, 2011, 10:06:10 PM »
The wife and I decided to take a 260 one way trip to Cabelas in Sydney, Ne today on the bikes. We got there, did some shopping and looking around for about an hour. Checked out with our purchases that I paid cash for. When I got to the bike in the parking lot and went to put on my new gloves, the stitching was gone in a part by the wrist.

Having not even been 10 minutes since I checked out, I went back in the store to exchange the gloves for a pair that was sewn together properly. I was stopped as I walked in the door because the alarm went off, which I expected. I was detained at the desk while they verified I didn't just walk in with a pair of gloves that I found somewhere. The gloves were tagged and I was told to go to the back of the store to the customer service counter, where I was the only one there and two people were just standing there talking. I finally had to ask them if this was where I was to go for a refund since I wasn't going to waste any more time walking back to the powersports section of the store to get another pair of gloves that I was guessing were of the same great quality.

Here goes the refund story. I was told that since I paid cash, I could not get a refund without handing over my drivers license. I said I would not, I did not have to show it to buy the product at the register with the cash from my wallet. I was told that I may have stolen the gloves from somewhere and was lucky enough to find the receipt. I said that it didn't matter, I had the gloves and receipt, and I wanted my money back because it's not my fault they sell crap. This obviously was not the right thing to say to this POS person, I was now going to be detained for other things, what I don't know. Then I was told they would not give me cash without my DL., nor would I get the gloves back. I said that they can either give me the cash or I would call the police and report them for theft of my gloves or money.

I want to know why it is such a big deal to get your money back for the crap that they are selling, and I will also bet the gloves went right back on the shelf.

I am done with a company that does business this way, I don't have to put up with it, and I won't!

A-FIXER

Re: Why I am done with Cabelas.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 10:16:53 PM »
Corporate crap.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 10:23:47 PM »
Don't care what crap it is, I am going to spend my money with a business that doesn't treat me like a terrorist because I want my money back for the China made crap they are selling. I emailed them, but doubt if they will be concerned since they are well stocked with customers that spend more money than I do.

A-FIXER

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 10:26:33 PM »
So.............did you get your money?

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 10:34:24 PM »
I did, but it took a lot longer than it should have, and they have lost two customers now.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 10:45:29 PM »
Their response.

Dear Dave,

Thank you for contacting Cabela's Customer Relations Department Live Help.

I certainly do apologize that you do not agree with our return policy, and I am sorry for your poor experience.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Your interest in Cabela's products and services is appreciated. I look forward to working with you in the future.

Best Regards,
Paid PR representative that really could care less's name here
Cabela's Product Information Associate.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 12:09:28 AM »
Wow, they really went the extra mile.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 09:23:30 AM »
I will add that to the other reasons I don't go there. 
Expensive prices, terrible customer service, poor quality products... oh, and did I mention their high prices?  I can usually order something online and have it shipped right to my door for less than their retail price which will also have tax added onto.

Very rarely will I venture into the Walmart of sporting goods stores.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 10:33:55 AM »
I normally just shop their ads, bargain cave, and occasionally catch a decent deal on the used rack.  I would rather shop there than some other big box sporting goods store, since they ARE a Nebraska company.  One which we would do good to have on our (NFOA) side. 
That being said, I'm sorry for DaveB's experience, sounds like folks on both sides of the counter were having a bad day.

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Supersparky

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 12:09:33 PM »
I only go in there to browse the bargain cave and pick up cheap ammo if they have some on sale.  Sometimes, if I am interested in a gun, I will go in there to check it out before going somewhere else to buy.  I am amazed at the lack of gun knowledge of the people at the gun counter.  It seems like they just hire people with no clue about the products they are selling, but that is getting to be my experience everywhere.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 12:12:19 PM by Supersparky »

A-FIXER

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 02:28:49 PM »
Yes, to the above and it is just wrong that you have to present your D. L. even when you paid in cash and or credit. I won't buy any firearms from them anymore the Kearney store requires you to fill out the form on computer so that really turns me off and i'll buy local and at gun shows from now on. I think the only way they will do that is an exact replacement of same item. But it seems better to purchase items on line if your willing to wait. so much for being fair or equal it is what it is a pain.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 07:21:36 PM »
i'm sorry you had such a bad experience.  i haven't had a bad experience with them either, except the sometimes terrible waits at the gun counters.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 08:01:44 PM »
I normally just shop their ads, bargain cave, and occasionally catch a decent deal on the used rack.  I would rather shop there than some other big box sporting goods store, since they ARE a Nebraska company.  One which we would do good to have on our (NFOA) side. 
That being said, I'm sorry for DaveB's experience, sounds like folks on both sides of the counter were having a bad day.

I wasn't having a bad day, we rode our bikes in beautiful weather with the plan of going to the Sydney Cabela's. We had never been to that store. My bad day started when they sold me some made in China junk that was not even sewn and all I asked them to do was make it right.

I don't care if other people shop there and enjoy it. I hope nobody else ever has a problem. But I will not waste my time with them ever again, they give Nebraska a bad reputation the way they run their business. I wonder how many people from out of the state stop in to buy something only to find out they bought junk? They are just plain stuck with it unless they want to bow to the customer joke of service.

Now my bad experience is behind me, and the customer service email shows that they don't read what you send to them either. I am no longer upset, I still have the option to spend my money as I please, and they will just have to do without it.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 08:10:55 AM »
Sooo. how WAS the Ride?  Interstate or back highways?  At least you had 260 miles of highway to cleanse the soul. ;)

Mine is "in the shop" and this weather of late is causing a baad itch. 
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 08:32:03 AM »
Unfortunately, there are enough dirt bags who try to take advantage of generous return policies at most larger retail stores that they've had to take back some of that generosity.  Cabela's certainly isn't unique in requiring a driver's license for a cash return.  I returned some items to Home Depot yesterday.  I had paid cash for them and really just wanted to exchange them for a similar item.  Instead, Home Depot issued me a store credit.  They checked my driver's license to make sure I wasn't a "habitual returner" and I was fine with that.  No big deal.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 08:43:52 AM »
Unfortunately, there are enough dirt bags who try to take advantage of generous return policies at most larger retail stores that they've had to take back some of that generosity.  Cabela's certainly isn't unique in requiring a driver's license for a cash return.  I returned some items to Home Depot yesterday.  I had paid cash for them and really just wanted to exchange them for a similar item.  Instead, Home Depot issued me a store credit.  They checked my driver's license to make sure I wasn't a "habitual returner" and I was fine with that.  No big deal.

I call that "sheeple". What are you going to give them next?

A store credit for a cash purchase? They just guaranteed that they will have a return customer and not lose a dime. That is how the new government is wanting to work.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 08:46:32 AM »
Sooo. how WAS the Ride?  Interstate or back highways?  At least you had 260 miles of highway to cleanse the soul. ;)

Mine is "in the shop" and this weather of late is causing a baad itch. 

Had to take the interstate this time. The reason is that we have horses that need taken care of twice a day. Last time we just took state highways, but had family around to take care of things here.

My bike needs a lot of work now too, but I have to keep it going to keep the wife leading the most miles rode contest. Glad it ends Saturday, 250 miles a day on top of work is wearing my old butt out.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 01:22:03 PM »
I call that "sheeple". What are you going to give them next?

A store credit for a cash purchase? They just guaranteed that they will have a return customer and not lose a dime. That is how the new government is wanting to work.

Before you start calling people you don't know a bunch of names ... maybe you want to step back for a moment and tell me what's on your driver's license that isn't already public knowledge, or publicly available.  The driver's license number?  What can they do with that?  Maybe you don't want people to know your weight ... or height ... or eye and hair color.

As far as store credit for a cash purchase goes:

1. I didn't have a receipt.  I'm bad about not hanging onto receipts.
2. I only wanted to exchange the items, anyway, so I was happy with the store credit.

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 06:06:00 PM »
i'm sorry you had such a bad experience.  i haven't had a bad experience with them either, except the sometimes terrible waits at the gun counters.
I have had to wait numerous times at their gun counter. The sales staff isn't usually very friendly. I've stood and waited for service while they chit-chat. They burned my bridge when they put up the red "take a number" dispenser. I like to stop by Moeller Arms and chit-chat when I buy my guns. I won't be going back to Cabela's.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 08:11:33 PM »
Before you start calling people you don't know a bunch of names ... maybe you want to step back for a moment and tell me what's on your driver's license that isn't already public knowledge, or publicly available.  The driver's license number?  What can they do with that?  Maybe you don't want people to know your weight ... or height ... or eye and hair color.

As far as store credit for a cash purchase goes:

1. I didn't have a receipt.  I'm bad about not hanging onto receipts.
2. I only wanted to exchange the items, anyway, so I was happy with the store credit.

I paid cash, did not need to show ID, the purchase was not even 10 minutes old. I had the receipt. There was nothing else needed. I will not subject myself to undue harassment, especially to a retail store. They acted like they were the government, they are not. As far as calling you a name, sorry, it wasn't meant to you directly, it is just what the country is turning into, give to whatever agency wants it. And I am the one that was called a dirt bag, but that's okay, I can handle it. And what is the big deal about being a habitual returner, I had a receipt and a defective pair of gloves. It's not my fault Cabela's sells Walmart quality. They don't have to worry about me returning anything any more, I will not shop there.

One Dirt bag, signing off.