< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Why I am not done with Cabelas.  (Read 2732 times)

Offline Hermit

• NFOA Full Member
Why I am not done with Cabelas.
« on: October 02, 2011, 06:51:31 PM »
Every time I go into the store in LaVista, they have some boxes of 7.7x58 Jap for my Arisaka.  Which consistently blows me away.  They (obviously) have some sort of inventory tracking system that says to itself, "Hey, somebody keeps buying all this obscure caliber of ammunition that we have on the shelves.  We should continue to stock it"

Also, I noticed this Saturday that the red "take a number" device is gone from the gun counter. 

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Why I am not done with Cabelas.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 07:31:10 PM »
Every time I go into the store in LaVista, they have some boxes of 7.7x58 Jap for my Arisaka.  Which consistently blows me away.  They (obviously) have some sort of inventory tracking system that says to itself, "Hey, somebody keeps buying all this obscure caliber of ammunition that we have on the shelves.  We should continue to stock it"

Also, I noticed this Saturday that the red "take a number" device is gone from the gun counter.
Haha... you're trying to get me back in there.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 08:03:06 PM »
Incidentally, I've heard 7.7x58 is actually the same cartridge as .303 British, or at least close enough that you can fire .303 in an Arisaka.  I'm not 100% sure that's true, but I do believe the Japanese based the 7.7 round on the .303. 

Thank God Prvi Partisan makes ammo for all these obscure old calibers.  I love my milsurps.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 08:28:07 AM »
Thank God Prvi Partisan makes ammo for all these obscure old calibers.  I love my milsurps.
+1  Privi has really stepped up in the old school ammo dept. Good brass to boot.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Hermit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 08:08:48 PM »
I just checked and held a .303 up next to a 7.7x58 and just eyeballing it, they don't look near enough alike to consider even trying one in the other.  Different shoulder, taper, overall length and the .303 is rimmed, where the 7.7 isn't.

That said, there might be a way to get brass from one re-sized to work in the other, but I know nothing of reloading and I may be talking out of my backside.  Well, actually, I /know/ I am, heh.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 09:01:48 PM »
I may be thinking of a different Japanese round - I think they had a rimmed round that some of their guns used.

Offline altheman2

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 07:48:38 AM »
LaVista had a whole stack of 7.62 Nagant. First time i have seen that anywhere but online and not a bad price either 24.95.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 01:29:32 PM »
They still don't have anything for my 7.65 Argy though:)

Thats where Kim and Derek down at DE Guns came to my rescue.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 06:55:41 PM »
For those not done with Cabela's ... they have free shipping on orders of $99 or more.  Use the code WTURKEY.  I just ordered some of Under Armour's new ColdGear 4.0.  Deer season is going to be toasty warm!  ;D

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 08:21:57 PM »
you're a Cabelas junkie mud lol
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 08:28:35 PM »
If the weather stays like this you won't need that gear for deer season.  I'm worrying about being able to hang my deer.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 08:57:16 PM »
If the weather stays like this you won't need that gear for deer season.  I'm worrying about being able to hang my deer.

Wouldn't it be more humane to shoot them?

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 09:18:15 PM »

Wouldn't it be more humane to shoot them?

Fly

You forgit the smiley :) :D ;D ;) :kiss:
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 10:02:15 PM »

You forgit the smiley :) :D ;D ;) :kiss:

You're assuming I am joking, but I'm just trying to figure out how bkoenig plans to get that noose over the antlers.  It is just more than my brain can handle.

No...I am not THAT dense.

Fly
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 10:08:46 PM by OnTheFly »

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 10:05:35 PM »
You're assuming I am joking, but I'm just trying to figure out how bkoenig plans to get that noose over the antlers.  It is just more than my brain can handle.

Fly

Duh, you start at the other end!

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 10:12:15 PM »
Well, I did grow up on a farm and was a pretty good horseman.  I could never rope worth a darn though  ;D

I will admit I tried "herding" a doe on a 4 wheeler once just for kicks.  I found even though I could outrun the deer she could out turn me...

And with that, this thread is WAY off course.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 11:57:08 PM »
For those not done with Cabela's ... they have free shipping on orders of $99 or more.  Use the code WTURKEY.  I just ordered some of Under Armour's new ColdGear 4.0.  Deer season is going to be toasty warm!  ;D

BACK ON TRACK...
If I could find a real deal at Cabela's, then I might jump in.  But for the products I am looking for (ammo, red dot scopes), Cabela's prices are no better than other online retailers where I could get the same items for the same (or lower) price with no sales tax and no shipping.

Fly

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 12:18:53 PM »
BACK ON TRACK...
If I could find a real deal at Cabela's, then I might jump in.  But for the products I am looking for (ammo, red dot scopes), Cabela's prices are no better than other online retailers where I could get the same items for the same (or lower) price with no sales tax and no shipping.

Fly

I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy from Cabela's ... just offering up a bit of value if you intend to do so.  Personally, I couldn't find the ColdGear 4.0 in stock (in my size) anywhere else, including Under Armour's site.

Koenig may be right, though, I may be in my camo Speedo if the weather doesn't get serious about cooling down.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2011, 06:46:10 PM »
I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy from Cabela's ... just offering up a bit of value if you intend to do so.  Personally, I couldn't find the ColdGear 4.0 in stock (in my size) anywhere else, including Under Armour's site.

Koenig may be right, though, I may be in my camo Speedo if the weather doesn't get serious about cooling down.

Don't get me wrong...I always appreciate this kind of info.  I'm sure there will be times that Cabela's has something that is a great deal or can not be found at other retailers.  Free shipping would definitely help in that case.  But for me, I am just not finding anything on my shopping list. 

Fly