< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Public shooting range on WMA and State Rec Areas  (Read 13114 times)

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
Public shooting range on WMA and State Rec Areas
« on: October 03, 2011, 02:29:43 PM »
With the closing of Branched Oak Lake's popular shooting area awhile back, and WMA's anywhere near populated areas being marked off limits. Those of us who enjoy shooting outside (at least in the Omaha and Lincoln areas), are having to drive further and further to find public lands for practice.

I don't really mind driving to Hamburg Bend...but it's underwater right now...and atleast for thhe summer had a "No Target Shooting" sign up, so I have been driving to Twin Oaks S. of Tecumseh. My problem lies in the fact that once I get there it can be difficult to find an open area to shoot, with clear lines of sight and a good backstop...like a giant hill with nothing on it. I am not trying to complain by any means, and I do realize that these areas are set up to be maintainance free and natural.

My request would be for a berm...that is all, perhaps near a parking lot...okay, thats really two things but you get the idea.. They wouldnt need to mow it or anything, just an area where responsible shooters could go and let off steam OUTDOORS. I know there are ranges in town, and thats cool for the winter, but in the warmer months I like to be outdoors, and I wanna bring my own targets, or take my kids, or fire reloads. I hoof out what I hoof in and know that you all would do the same. This is a great chance to create something to further the cause, a place to teach our kids, grandkids, loved ones about the sport we love and protect it from fading away. I'm poor personally and so a gun club is currently out of the question (all my fun money goes for ammo).

So this is my poll, please vote, leave comments etc. I love feedback.

--KGillen
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
Re: Public shooting range on WMA and State Rec Areas
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 02:38:34 PM »
That is kind of a tough one and I would have to say I am more of a hunter than a target shooter and therefore would not want a bunch of people target shooting when I'm trying to deer, pheasant or turkey hunt on that property.  I do think that some areas need to be set up for pistol shooting though, just not at a time or place I'm trying to hunt. Just my two cents.
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline Bigtony

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 03:49:47 PM »
My area I liked to take my son and daughter to got marked this summer.  I guess they had some college kids out there target shooting and drinking.  Long story short, one shot another with a 22 and a couple weeks later no target shooting signs.  Now I have no place to take my kids unless I want to pay for a membership to Izaak Walton by Lincoln.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 05:32:22 PM »
I have proposed before that we (NFOA) work together with the G&P on setting up such an area or reopen previous area(s) and our members could maintain it with the G&P policing it. This would have to be a ongoing project  with regular volunteers, as I'm too busy to do it all myself. 
Anybody have some inside contact in the G&P?
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Ghost

• Steel Benefactor
  • NRA Life Member - 1972
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 05:47:32 PM »
I would also like to have some safe, free, outdoor places to shoot like KGillen describes.  I would be more than willing to put in some time on a regular basis, policing up spots that G&P might allow around the Lincoln area.  Maybe I could even pick up some good brass!   ;D 
A well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free State......George Mason

Offline Bigtony

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 07:08:55 PM »
We did try to keep our area clean, some days was quite a chore but I don't think it would be to hard to keep up as much as we went out there.  The kids would always help pick up what trash we could and I always picked up shell casings to either reload for myself or trade for what I needed.  I would be up for it if we could get it back,  alot of people from Lincoln area used it.

A-FIXER

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 07:29:59 PM »
I would be in favor of this with and during open season that it would be shut down.... but otherwise open to public.

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 03:43:40 PM »
I'd be more than willing to volunteer some (quite a bit of) time for maintaining these areas. I am not insensitive to the concerns of hunters out there, and would be understanding of any time/seasonal compromises that would need to be worked out. I really feel this is something important we can do. Hypothetically what would be the next step?

I'm pleased with the all the positive feedback thus far and would love some more members of the board to weigh in.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 03:46:33 PM by KGillen »
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Offline Bigtony

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 07:01:49 PM »
If hamburg bend, triple creek (my neck of the woods) and the one south of branched oak all have posted "no target shooting" signs, do all of them that were not posted before have them now.  I don't know how many there were but all that are within 30 miles of me ( that i know of) have them.  What's going on with this?

Offline RipTombstone

• NFOA Full Member
  • 44 spoke and sent lead and smoke and 17" of flame
    • Plum Creek Leatherworks
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 11:53:14 PM »
I would love to see more shooting ranges.

Here in central Nebraska, we have Pressey State Park, which has a nice rifle range with some permanent benches. Nothing fancy, and its usually in pretty good shape as far as trash is concerned. Unless you live in Oconto, its a long drive to get there though.
The one at Dogwood WMA along I-80 also allows target shooting, but it is simply dangerous. They have a berm built, with parking and the gate next to the berm. The shooters basically shoot towards the vehicles and the gate when they are shooting. I would like to see the G&P revamp this one, and make it a safer/better built range.
RT
SASS Life 51139
http://www.freewebs.com/daltonmasterson/plumcreekleatherworks.htm

Facebook me at Plum Creek Leatherworks

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 09:37:27 PM »
OK guys, the Board has approved this effort and I am your liaison.

Let's move this discussion to the members only forum, and we can talk about forming a committee to get started. I need to restrict this committee to NFOA full members, so if you are not one, get your application in ASAP

http://nebraskafirearms.org/join
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.