< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Don't touch the merchandise?  (Read 1896 times)

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
Don't touch the merchandise?
« on: October 05, 2011, 05:26:18 PM »
Hi folks. I've been reading a lot on the forums and I really enjoy it so far. I just saw in another thread about gun shows someone had posted warning people not to handle all the merchandise on the table.
My question is simple - Why not? (the other thread was very old, so I started this one)

I mean, if you're there to sell guns and I'm there to buy guns and what you have is of interest to me, why would you not want me to handle your merchandise? Everyone is a potential buyer, right? If you don't accept that simple truth, then you're probably not selling to your full potential. Some days I've gone to gun shows and I'm dressed pretty well, and some days I go and I feel like someone is going to offer me change because they think I'm a hobo. But either way, I'm certainly a potential buyer of goods and I'm very impulsive. :) I can also tell you that there have been (many) times at gun shows that someone has had something I really liked and I really wanted to buy it, but the seller was just one of those types of people that was generally unpleasant so I moved on to the next table.
I'm not meaning to rant or anything, and I say this all with all due respect. I hope that it might stimulate some good conversation here and might even change some opinions that gun sellers might have and the way they deal with their potential customers.

Thanks!
That which does not kill us was not trained properly.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Don't touch the merchandise?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 06:48:30 PM »
While I certainly agree that handling the merchandise should be allowed, I also think one needs to get permission from the seller first.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 07:10:36 PM »
While I certainly agree that handling the merchandise should be allowed, I also think one needs to get permission from the seller first.

Yep, I always ask.  But if the seller says no you can bet I won't buy from him.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 07:32:59 PM »
You have to try to see it from "the other side of the table".   ;)

After having 30 people finger-phook your $1300 Sako, $900 Weatherby, and $800 Winchester 1906 only 2 hours into the show, saying "boy that sure is a sweet rifle, too bad I only brought $7 with me for some alligator jerky"... you might get a bit grumpy and protective of your guns too. 

Most people are respectful of others' property, some... not so much.  I've had people literally take a gun apart in front of me(without asking first) who have no clue whatsoever of how the gun works or how it goes back together.  I also had one doofus take a mag out of a bolt action shotgun and proceed to take it apart allowing the spring to fly 4 tables away.  He set what was left on the table and walked away.  That is kinda a turn-off for the seller.

If I don't know the person selling the gun, I will always ask before I pick something up.  If I do know them and the gun is exceptionally nice or expensive, I will ask permission first.     

It's the polite thing to do.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 07:39:43 PM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 09:10:32 PM »
I always ask, I hate handling things that don't belong to me. The ones that have the signs all over telling me not to touch I just look and keep moving past them. That's their choice, and the way they want to do business.

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 09:31:17 PM »
I'm like Rick, too many people want to touch the guns and have no interest in buying them.

Now, here is a great reason I have signs on the table, that say "Please ask before handling the guns." How many times have you been in a gun show restroom, and a guy walks out of the crapper and straight out the door? Happens almost every time I'm in there. That is also why I don't shake hands with people very often. And the urinal situation is no different. Now what did he just touch with his hands, and then he touches your guns. He may as well stick the gun in his pants directly and give it a good cheese coating.

Still want to touch every gun? I only handle something if I truly want to check it over and BUY it.(Then I go wash my hands.)

Also, people are not careful, and drop them, dinging them up, which lessens their value greatly. That is money out of my pocket, and I take it seriously. I have nice guns on the table and want to keep them that way. 
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 08:29:24 AM »
I get it, I really do. From your side, you deal with those types of people all day so it probably gets frustrating for you. I can definitely understand your concern of people dropping or damaging your items. That would be a huge cause for alarm for me as well.
I guess I didn't really think about that, since I'm not prone to doing such things. I thank you all, it does make a bit more sense to me now. I still rarely ask before handling merchandise on a table without signs, etc, simply because I really don't think about it. Not out of disrespect, but as I said, I'm a consumer and when I'm interested in buying stuff I play with it. I do the same at any dealership, vendor, store, etc. I guess it doesn't really get to me much because I know that there are not many things that I'll be handling that I couldn't afford to buy if I wanted to. Sometimes I'm surprised though; I once picked up a Class III weapon unknowingly and looked at the price and almost sh*t myself. I put it down quickly. If there's NO WAY I could pay for it, then I definitely don't mess with it.
Perhaps in the future, I'll try asking the vendors out of ettiquette. I guess it seems odd to me. :) I'll start wearing a shirt that says "I brought more than $7 for jerky" :D

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 09:41:11 AM »
Asking first is a matter of respect.  We gun owners need to continually do our best to present an image of responsibility and our behavior at gun shows is part of that.

A parallel is the Oshkosh Fly-in in Wisconsin.  It is noted for the cleanliness of the grounds and the politeness of the attendees.  If someone is so foolish as to throw a gum wrapper on the ground, one or more guests will be immediately picking it up and disposing of it properly. 

It would be nice if the same was said of gun owners in general.

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 11:04:29 AM »
I totally understand this at an actual "show". For example a car show; I go to them because I love to show off my Camaro. At a car show, the first rule is "Don't touch my f*in' car" and the second rule is "See rule #1". But there's a fundamental difference there because at a car show, people aren't selling the cars. They're only there to "show". Whereas at a gun "show" people are there to sell the stuff they brought. I'm only discussing this to bring opinions, not because I necessarily disagree with any of you. I can see where your frustration would come from, but like I said, you're there to sell your stuff. I don't know that we should treat the items any different than any other items EXCEPT for the fact that they need to be handled properly, as any firearm should be. If handling it is likely to cause damage to it, then certainly keep that item out of reach, but if it's not, let people check it out. It will make things sell better. I don't think that theft should be too big of a concern at a gun show, is it? I mean, if I saw someone pocketing something at a gun show, I'd bring that to the attention of everyone in the vicinity. Not to mention, stealing in an environment where a large number of people are most likely armed doesn't seem like a bright idea to me.
Thoughts?

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 11:53:41 AM »
I totally understand this at an actual "show". For example a car show; I go to them because I love to show off my Camaro. At a car show, the first rule is "Don't touch my f*in' car" and the second rule is "See rule #1". But there's a fundamental difference there because at a car show, people aren't selling the cars. They're only there to "show". Whereas at a gun "show" people are there to sell the stuff they brought. I'm only discussing this to bring opinions, not because I necessarily disagree with any of you. I can see where your frustration would come from, but like I said, you're there to sell your stuff. I don't know that we should treat the items any different than any other items EXCEPT for the fact that they need to be handled properly, as any firearm should be. If handling it is likely to cause damage to it, then certainly keep that item out of reach, but if it's not, let people check it out. It will make things sell better. I don't think that theft should be too big of a concern at a gun show, is it? I mean, if I saw someone pocketing something at a gun show, I'd bring that to the attention of everyone in the vicinity. Not to mention, stealing in an environment where a large number of people are most likely armed doesn't seem like a bright idea to me.
Thoughts?
I understand your what your saying but also at most car shows half of them also have for sale signs in the windows, does that then allow anyone to paw their cars.  Even in many gun shops the guns are behind the counter and you must ask to handle one.  Like I said I understand where you are coming from but I was raised that you always ask if it isn't yours (unless in a retail setting with displays like wal-mart).  Just my 2 cents
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 04:21:12 PM »
Rob and Hope(Exeter Arms) had a 1911 stolen at the Hastings show last Sunday around lunch time.

From what I've heard, that was the first time in over 20 years... but it can and evidently does happen.   :(
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 04:59:52 PM »
Perhaps in the future, I'll try asking the vendors out of ettiquette. I guess it seems odd to me. :) I'll start wearing a shirt that says "I brought more than $7 for jerky" :D

Hey, YoD  I think your onto something with this whole tshirt thing.  ;) (kinda reminds me of ones my brother made for a couple friends for a buddy's wedding. The were bright yellow and stated: "I'm only here for the cake and beer'" He has been asked to go into production. 8) )
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 05:25:31 PM »
Hey, YoD  I think your onto something with this whole tshirt thing.  ;) (kinda reminds me of ones my brother made for a couple friends for a buddy's wedding. The were bright yellow and stated: "I'm only here for the cake and beer'" He has been asked to go into production. 8) )

What???  No pie??!?!!?

;D

Offline RipTombstone

• NFOA Full Member
  • 44 spoke and sent lead and smoke and 17" of flame
    • Plum Creek Leatherworks
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 10:36:11 PM »
I have always asked before picking up a gun from a table. If I am just checking markings on it, I might roll it over with out asking, but it is still technically on the table when I do that. Other small things, like reloaders, dies, etc, I usually dont ask if they are on the table, unless the owner is standing right there.

Now, on the other side of things, when I am set up with my leather gear, I dont mind people picking them up. BUT when they take out the dummy 1911 and try to shove the dummy XD into the 1911 holster, even though they are marked as to model, I get a little agitated.

I do have a few old original holsters on my table as a display as well. Those I try to keep to the back of the table, or on a rack where they are not handy to grab. Some things are NOT for sale at shows, but are used as examples instead.

As for losing merchandise at shows, I have not yet, but Run N Iron has lost a few items over the years. I think a scope or two was in the mix, but I dont remember any firearms missing.

RT
SASS Life 51139
http://www.freewebs.com/daltonmasterson/plumcreekleatherworks.htm

Facebook me at Plum Creek Leatherworks

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 01:55:17 PM »
Asking first is a matter of respect.  We gun owners need to continually do our best to present an image of responsibility and our behavior at gun shows is part of that.

A parallel is the Oshkosh Fly-in in Wisconsin.  It is noted for the cleanliness of the grounds and the politeness of the attendees.  If someone is so foolish as to throw a gum wrapper on the ground, one or more guests will be immediately picking it up and disposing of it properly. 

It would be nice if the same was said of gun owners in general.

+1
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX