< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Firing handguns underwater  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
Firing handguns underwater
« on: October 08, 2011, 02:01:37 PM »
Interesting video. The guy covers a variety of subjects in other videos but this one is pretty interesting for this forum:

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Firing handguns underwater
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 03:31:53 PM »
I am surprised that the case ejected fully. I am also surprised that the weapons didn't explode. Who would want to do that to their firearms?

When I'm bored I'll search YouTube and watch people stress test their weapons. It is always surprising that someone would be willing to beat the value out of a gun.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 05:20:55 PM »
One of my son's asked me about this once when we were out at the range and I didnt really have much of an answer.  Now I do, so yes I have learned something today. 

On a side note, I now know that my gun will fire (at least once) under water if I ever need it to.  That in and of itself is comforting knowledge to have.

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline dark 45

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 11:25:15 AM »
the projectile only goes about a meter under water. even less if shot into water from above.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 12:35:13 PM »
the projectile only goes about a meter under water. even less if shot into water from above.

Mythbusters did an episode on this.  Turns out diving underwater is a good way to escape bullets.  The bullets break up quickly and don't go very deep at all.  IIR they tried a variety of calibers.  Love that show.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline dark 45

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 09:05:05 AM »
Mythbusters did an episode on this.  Turns out diving underwater is a good way to escape bullets.  The bullets break up quickly and don't go very deep at all.  IIR they tried a variety of calibers.  Love that show.

i'v caught a episode or two, its a cool show. i have issue with how they go about it allot of the time, the methods used and what they use as analogs. over all the show is fun to watch. i have been watching a few episodes on Netflix would you happen to know the episode they do that on? i would be interested to see it.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 10:16:44 AM »

i'v caught a episode or two, its a cool show. i have issue with how they go about it allot of the time, the methods used and what they use as analogs. over all the show is fun to watch. i have been watching a few episodes on Netflix would you happen to know the episode they do that on? i would be interested to see it.
Try episodes 34 and 51.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 05:43:45 PM »
Very interesting, and it appeared to be the same model Ruger that I own.  Good to know if I'm ever attacked while snorkling somewhere.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.