< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Savage Model 99E Headspace issues  (Read 2360 times)

Offline altheman2

• Powder Benefactor
Savage Model 99E Headspace issues
« on: October 09, 2011, 10:11:47 PM »
I have a Savage 99 lever action .243 i took out shooting recently and after looking at the brass i started to suspect i had a problem. Ordered a headspace gauge from Midway ( i had a 1916 Spanish Mauser i wanted to check out anyway). Sure enough bolt closes on the field gauge. Has anyone had work like this done to a gun? Anyone know a good gunsmith? I don't want to turn this gun into a wall hanger just yet.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Savage Model 99E Headspace issues
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 10:24:52 PM »
Headspace work is major surgery.  I'm guessing you'll need a new bolt, if you can find one.  It would then possibly need to be headspaced to the barrel.  I'm no gunsmith but you might be able to have the barrel set back one rotation of the threads and then have the chamber reamed again to the correct headspace.  If the lugs on the bolt are worn that might not be viable, though.  I would be afraid they would continue to wear and get out of spec again.

A-FIXER

Re: Savage Model 99E Headspace issues
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 06:49:38 PM »
I was told that the lugs could be built up as to make up for the head space , I have heard. Maybe you can call Rob for exeter arms a call he say gots new gun smith, and runairon is another, I have a new lic gunsmith BENTLEY out of Cario, NE doing some bolt/headspace work for me but I am currently awaiting a fluted bolt for my 30-06, and the barrel is not ajustable as I have a Straight-jacket on it....