< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Winter BOB?  (Read 1178 times)

Offline TerryLane

• NFOA Full Member
Winter BOB?
« on: October 12, 2011, 09:47:38 AM »
What changes do you make to your BOB for fall/winter and when do you make the swap? Take care.
Terry Lane
NRA Life
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Appointed Training Counselor
Nebraska Concealed Handgun Instructor

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Winter BOB?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 10:19:41 AM »
im no expert, but i add hand/foot warmers, socks, coat, gloves, etc.  also, i keep my gas tank never below half and have HEET to prevent gas line freezes.  if its gonna snow ill keep a shovel with me as well.  and my truck has really rugged 10 ply M/S tires.  since i work in TV i HAVE to go to work, im considered essential personnell.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: Winter BOB?
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 12:08:49 PM »
I usually go through my BOB's every fall and spring.  I change out items with passed expiration dates, make sure I add any new items that I think may be useful and get rid of any items that I deem unnecessary.  I don't really change the clothing or shelter options in the bag though.  My bags (each family member has their own) all contain layers of clothing that can be added or deleted depending on the weather.  Each bag always has an outer/environmental layer that is water/wind proof/resistant.  Each bag also contains base layer clothing and insulating layer clothing.  That doesn't change from season to season.

We try to keep our vehicle's fuel tanks above half full at all times.  I usually also have 20 gallons of gasoline on hand at any given time.

Winter is a good time to make sure your propane tanks are full - if you have propane heaters.  A lot of people grill all summer and fall and leave themselves with a nearly empty propane tank.  If the heat goes out, you'll be wishing you filled up on propane.

I'll usually put a pair of winter boots in my vehicles as a part of my get-home/stranded kit around this time of year.  We keep wool blankets and get-home bags (GHB's) in our vehicles year-'round.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 12:15:15 PM by Mudinyeri »