< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: OffTopic: ticketed for "suspicion of misdemeanor assault" - wtf ?  (Read 1374 times)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
This is not me, nor anyone I know, etc etc etc.

http://www.ketv.com/news/29484730/detail.html

---------

What's puzzling to me is:

"Lincoln police ticketed William Burke on suspicion of misdemeanor assault."

.... is.... this a ticket with a fine / fee ?

Is he being forced to pay a fine on suspicion alone ?

See... I can understand 'arrested for...' etc... where you can go to court and such stuff... but... this seems ..... ludicrous ?  Police can say they hear bad things about something they can't prove you did... and you have to pay a fine ?

I sincerely hope there was no fine / fee / etc in place for this and it's more or less just a paper trail that Mr. Burke has been noted for possibly causing problems in the past.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: OffTopic: ticketed for "suspicion of misdemeanor assault" - wtf ?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 07:42:08 PM »
This looks like the vague type of charge Chief Hayes in Omaha would use to control  guns with his new statute.   RJ.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 08:01:44 PM »
You are assuming a "ticket" means no court appearance, it does not.

Even when a traffic ticket is issued, you must appear in court unless the circumstances allow you waive the trial and pay a fine and court costs.

The ticket is an order to appear in court
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 08:12:39 PM »
You are assuming a "ticket" means no court appearance, it does not.

Even when a traffic ticket is issued, you must appear in court unless the circumstances allow you waive the trial and pay a fine and court costs.

The ticket is an order to appear in court

Awesome reply, thanks Dan!

Makes more sense now.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 08:36:07 PM »
Kids! Looks like they need a time out.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 08:40:05 PM »
Awesome reply, thanks Dan!

Makes more sense now.

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 02:30:49 PM »
I say, "Put them both in a cage match, no rules, and let 'em fight it out to the death."  Shouldn't take long.  :)
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline Policista

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 11:32:49 AM »
"Suspicion" is a term coined by the media. Law enforcement officers do not arrest for "suspicion."

Defendants are issued citations in lieu of a physical custody arrest and released on their signature
as their promise to appear; or they are booked to guarentee their court appearance for arraignment.

Charges are founded on probable cause, evidence or witness/victim statements - not "suspicion."

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 02:28:21 PM »
If every time a nursing home resident punches another one got ticketed, the cops would not have to set up speed traps to pay for anything!  This is NOT an isolated incident in a nursing home.

Offline Policista

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 07:19:21 AM »
If every time a nursing home resident punches another one got ticketed, the cops would not have to set up speed traps to pay for anything!  This is NOT an isolated incident in a nursing home.

Very true. Several media sources released investigative stories after the high-profile death of an Alzheimer's patient at a Bloomington, Minnesota nursing home: http://www.startribune.com/local/north/40326907.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue