< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Lincoln Paper Article  (Read 1849 times)

Offline FKSSA

• Volunteer Recruiter
  • NFOA Full Member
Lincoln Paper Article
« on: October 16, 2011, 07:59:47 AM »
I see the paper has run a article on the fifth year anniversary of CCP being issued. I am not sure how to take what they are saying, but it sounds to me that they were expecting all kinds of crimes to be thwarted by the individuals who obtained the permits. There was also a part of it that I took to mean they want the list of names to be public as to who has a permit. Just my thought read it for your selves.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Lincoln Paper Article
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 08:14:40 AM »
I just finished reading the same article. Sounds to me ( I may be a bit biased in my feelings) that the LPD Chief is once again fishing for an issue. The story of the restraunt patron being too nervous about seeing someone carrying a " partially hidden" firearm and leaving.   How were they to know the individual wasn't some plain clothed LEO, they surely would have felt ok with that.  We all know I appreciate all our LEOs do,  but why is it a badge suddenly makes it ok, yet the average law abiding citizen makes someone 'nervous'?  It is taking an extreme amount of self control to not fire off comments on this article  :-X

Link to article. Judge for yourself.
http://journalstar.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/7682ad94-f7df-5606-a0bd-6782cacb06b8.html

p.s. Maybe the reason they can't find any data on incidents involving CCW holders is because we are probably the most law abiding citizens in the state?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 08:22:37 AM by NE Bull »
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 09:00:34 AM »
I just finished reading the same article. Sounds to me ( I may be a bit biased in my feelings) that the LPD Chief is once again fishing for an issue. The story of the restraunt patron being too nervous about seeing someone carrying a " partially hidden" firearm and leaving.   How were they to know the individual wasn't some plain clothed LEO, they surely would have felt ok with that.  We all know I appreciate all our LEOs do,  but why is it a badge suddenly makes it ok, yet the average law abiding citizen makes someone 'nervous'?  It is taking an extreme amount of self control to not fire off comments on this article  :-X

Link to article. Judge for yourself.
http://journalstar.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/7682ad94-f7df-5606-a0bd-6782cacb06b8.html

p.s. Maybe the reason they can't find any data on incidents involving CCW holders is because we are probably the most law abiding citizens in the state?

Yes.  That is also because we generally seem to have much better situational awareness than the average person, and tend to avoid predicaments that would necessitate the use of a concealed weapon.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 09:05:45 AM »
The Lincoln Chief of Police is opposed to concealed carry, but can't find any facts to argue against it so he comes up with this story of a lady being "nervous".  Pretty weak.  The political agenda of the LPD leadership continues to disgust me.

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 09:05:51 AM »
Pretty obvious that both the Journal and the Chief are hard pressed to deal with the fact that CC has not resulted in the mayham predicted. The nervous restaraunt patron story is silly at best. The only thing that this article reveals to me is that our new police chief is just as biased as the last one and will carry on that sad situation and that the Lincoln Journal is still the liberal rag it has always been. The only facts that are shown are that fewer people have opted to obtain permits than were expected and that those who did have done so responsibly. 

Offline Eagle1

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 09:29:05 AM »
Typical of LPD leadership. Carrying on about a non-issue to draw attention away from the real issues that they need to face.
USN 83-87, American Legion

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 09:43:56 AM »
The Lincoln Urinal star is run by a bunch of idiots.

Fortunately for permit holders they aren't smart enough to know about the issues there have been with permit holders, and fortunately for us NSP does a pretty good job of keeping them confidential. There have been more than a couple handfuls of knuckle headed individuals with CHP's that have done completely stupid things causing them to lose their permit. Especially the one just two weeks ago who was fishing at Branched Oak, fired his gun and threatened a team from Offutt practicing a water rescue ......... Amazingly the LJS ran this story and must have forgotten about it

CHP holders are a group of folks just like Cops, Firefighters, Doctors, etc........ Most are good folks, but there are always boneheads in every group.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 09:44:07 AM »
I guess this pretty much says all that needs to be said. Move on to real stories now.

However, it appears no one has lost his or her permit to carry a concealed handgun.

Shelton said the number of active permits -- 15,432 as of Wednesday -- is equal to the number the patrol has issued since the law went into effect in January 2007. Shelton said 189 have been denied.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 10:16:04 AM »
I don't even buy the premise of Chief Peschong's story about the nervous nellie in the Braeda store...I'll go so far as to say that he needs to produce some proof that this event happened.

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 10:30:10 AM »
I might know someone, who knows someone, who knows someone that is involved with that particular business..... And there were NO complaints to the business in question about an incident such as this happening

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 10:34:32 AM »
Logical arguments are lost on most Urinal Star discussion board participants.  It is actually pretty easy to see how the anti-gun crowd spreads their agenda... baseless fear tactics.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
I cancelled my Urinal/Star subscription some time ago, and I will not bother to register and comment on this fallacious story
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 06:09:30 PM »
What a bunch of frickin' lightweight thinkers!!  After 5 years we still have people crapping their pants over this issue. 

Ridiculous!
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 07:22:27 PM »
I know someone who knows someone who has a friend of a friendwho is fairly certain that CHP holders have carried in Braeda locations....as well as other eateries throughout Nebraska.
And the written press wonders why it is going bust........

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 07:27:58 AM »
To my knowledge, there have been 8 instances where CCW permit holders have done something stupid involving a firearm in a public setting.  Nothing gravely serious, mostly stupid. 

1) Guy on motorcycle, convicted felon with firearms rights restored, is busted for DUI and has handgun in bike's saddlebags.

2) Nimrod in Lincoln blasts milk jugs in backyard with handgun.  Chief o' Police Cassidy yells "I told you so!"

3) Restaurant manager somewhere in Omaha shoots himself in finger in the back room of restaurant.

4) details unknown to me

5) details unknown to me

6) details unknown to me

7) Guy in Baker's supermarket parking lot in Omaha shoots himself in leg.

8] The infamous "jet ski/fishing" incident on a lake by Lincoln.

I know nothing about incidents 4,5 or 6, I was told we had six incidents by a fairly reliable source prior to these last two and I knew the particulars of the first three as they were widely reported in the news.

I'm not sure why I haven't heard anything about those middle 3 incidents.  So far as I know, when a permit holder runs afoul of the law or otherwise does something stupid, they are rapidly (and rabidly in some cases) identified as permit holders in the news outlets.  (which I personally have no problems with)

« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 07:31:34 AM by Lorimor »
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 10:51:03 AM »
There was one (maybe 4, 5 or 6) where someone in an Omaha restaurant was showing off his firearm in a restaurant and had a ND.  Bullet did not hit anyone, but the flying concrete did.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 04:41:17 PM »
Another story on 10/11 news site about the lack of numbers.
Some yahoo in the comments had the galls to bash the liberal media and the Metro Cities councils, not to mention the OPD and LPD brass. 
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 05:45:31 PM »
well . . .

some peoples kids'    I tell ya   ;)

Offline dark 45

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2011, 03:33:53 AM »
"I don't know that we do a very good job of being able to track that," Peschong said. "If memory serves me right, that was kind of specific in the law that that information couldn't be released."

translation: we aren't doing what i would like to do to keep you safe. just so you know the law makes it harder for me to keep you, your babies, and little kittens safe from being gunned down.

Behm said he didn't know of any state agency or group, other than the patrol or local agencies, that might track such incidents.
"I'd be curious, too."

translation: i have done extensive research in the matter, and couldn't find a way to track these people down. it would make me feel better to know what these people do and where they are, it would also help me keep blood from running in the streets.

A month after the Concealed Handgun Permit Act went into effect, former Sen. Jeanne Combs of Milligan told the Journal Star she thought the information should be kept private unless there is a good reason to release it. So far, she said, handgun permit holders haven't been proven to be a danger.
And if the information were public, they could be targeted by burglars looking for expensive guns, she said.

"I see more harm than good from releasing a list."

i like the article leaves off on this note, as this is generally what the reader leaves reading the article with. it is also a vary good point that would be hard to argue against.

it seems they tried to be unbiased.  they only make reference to it being a safe practice twice, and instilled a slight paranoia throughout the rest of the article i have a good idea where they lay on the issue.