< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Retro Deer Hunt This Year  (Read 1178 times)

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
Retro Deer Hunt This Year
« on: October 16, 2011, 09:30:53 AM »
Our deer hunting is a family affair these days and I have been looking at my part as the senior member (read "geezer") involved as an opportunity to put one of my old rifle collection back into the field. I have made up my mind to use an open sighted Remington M81 in .300 Savage. The rifle was made in the same year I was born and is equiped with the correct vintage tang sights available at the time. Its going to limit my shots but I hope to put the old girl to good use at least one more time. The picture is of my "offical" six shot sight in target at 100 yards using hand loaded ammo. Even with the one flyer it ought to get the job done if I can do my part. ;D

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Retro Deer Hunt This Year
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 01:14:55 PM »
Looks like you'll get the job done just fine, as long as the dreaded buck fever doesn't take hold. ;)
My younger brother opted them same sorta thing a couple years ago, only he went with a Cowboy Marlin Octogon barrell lever gun , tang sights shooting hand cast 'cowboy' loads in .45-70.  And mind you he's an excellent shot, but when a decent buck came into view... well it finally dropped with 3 big ol holes thru it's lungs. 
I'm curiuos, What kind of loads are you using, any special bullets?
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Retro Deer Hunt This Year
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 10:34:12 PM »

I'm curiuos, What kind of loads are you using, any special bullets?
Nothing special really. Pretty much standard factory load using the Hornady .308 150 grain spire point over 39.5 grains of H4895. Runs at 2500 fps.