< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Some Omaha Crime stats  (Read 1532 times)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Some Omaha Crime stats
« on: October 25, 2011, 09:57:20 AM »
This is part of Omaha's application for funding for Fiscal Year 2011 Project Safe Neighborhoods program.

http://www.cityofomaha.org/cityclerk/images/stories/agenda/ID%2011_10_25/Mayor/1250.pdf

Quite a few good stats and graphs of different crimes in Omaha starting on page 10. 
The last 2 sentances of the first paragraph on that page are very telling:

Data obtained from the US census Bureau indicates that Omaha's per-capita homicide rate is greater than that of many major US municipalities, including New York, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Phoenix, and San Antonio.  Despite common misconceptions, Omaha does have a serious violent crime issue.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Poor Man

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Some Omaha Crime stats
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 07:36:06 PM »
Many thanks for posting this.    Poor Man :-X
Most folks who get lost in thought are
stumbling around in unfamiliar territory

Law is not necessarily Justice: nor is Justice necessarily Legal

NRA Life Member; CCRKBA Life Member;Charter Member - Second Amendment Task Force. Member of Gun Owners of America. and, National
Ass'n for Gun Right

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 07:44:50 PM »
Rick, if there was a committee for intelligence gathering, I'd want you to be in charge. I would also volunteer my help....RJ.It would be better if it wasn't public information,hehheh

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 08:21:22 PM »
This is part of Omaha's application for funding for Fiscal Year 2011 Project Safe Neighborhoods program.

http://www.cityofomaha.org/cityclerk/images/stories/agenda/ID%2011_10_25/Mayor/1250.pdf

Quite a few good stats and graphs of different crimes in Omaha starting on page 10. 
The last 2 sentances of the first paragraph on that page are very telling:

Data obtained from the US census Bureau indicates that Omaha's per-capita homicide rate is greater than that of many major US municipalities, including New York, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Phoenix, and San Antonio.  Despite common misconceptions, Omaha does have a serious violent crime issue.

In this same report you will read that Omaha's gun tracing costs are all paid by Project Safe Neighborhoods, and I will bet so are there costs for registration.

It also goes into great detail about the federal gun tracing system Omaha is a part of, but Chief Hayes apparently knows nothing about
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 08:32:50 PM »
Rick, if there was a committee for intelligence gathering, I'd want you to be in charge. I would also volunteer my help....RJ.It would be better if it wasn't public information,hehheh
I think what he means; "How do you find this ,um, stuff?"  ???

I had to stop reading, I hate it when these people start playing with numbers and percentages.  I found many instances where they compared percentage A (derived from years 1, 2,3) and compared it with percentage C (derived from years 3,4, and maybe 5) just depending on what numbers sounded scariest.  According to the charts, Aggravated assult was up for the last 5 years (7.2%) and last year (5%) while Aggravated assult with GUN (aahahhh!)  was down huge (15%) over the five year and (5%) last year.
Some how that equates to the next page where they state: "Much of the violent crime in Omaha is caused by using a firearm, by gang members, or both"  Nice..
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 08:48:39 PM by NE Bull »
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 08:40:31 PM »
yep ..... stats can be interpreted which ever way they want.  whatever proves their side or POV.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 09:30:16 PM »
Yes, number manipulation by lawyers and for lawyers in hopes of using the tax dollars of the many for the betterment of the very few(if any).

As to "how do you find this stuff?"   Well, I can access very few websites at work as I wait for the phone to ring.  I read the complete Omaha City Council and Douglas County Board Meeting agendas as soon as they come out on thursdays and fridays.  I guess I like to be informed on what the politicians are trying to get away with while 99.9% of their constituents are not looking.  The funny part: I don't even live in Douglas County anymore.  How sad is that?   ::)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 09:33:05 PM »
The funny part: I don't even live in Douglas County anymore.  How sad is that?   ::)

not sad.  beneficial to the NFOA.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline MikeF72

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 10:56:55 PM »
Rick - Perfect timing!  It's amazing what they'll do for a buck.  As I was sitting here reading this my youngest son called.  He's a sophomore at UNO and is getting his EMT certification through Creighton this semester on Tues and Thur nights in hopes of one day being a fireman.  While in class someone cut out the windows of his Jeep Wrangler and stole an Ipod and sunglasses.  I told him to call the police and file a report.  He called 9-1-1 and they transferred him to a recorded line where he was asked to leave his phone number and someone would contact him within 36 hours.

All of this just reminds me why I carry - if the Omaha Police Department response time to a burglary is to call me back within 36 hours I'm MUCH more comfortable with the 1400 feet per second response time of the .44 mag I have strapped to me.

One more year and the kid will be old enough to get his CCW and I'll sleep a lot better.  I hate to think of what might have happened if he come out to his car while some crazed meth-head was ransacking it.
All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. - Daniel Boone

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 09:08:01 AM »
Rick - Perfect timing!  It's amazing what they'll do for a buck.  As I was sitting here reading this my youngest son called.  He's a sophomore at UNO and is getting his EMT certification through Creighton this semester on Tues and Thur nights in hopes of one day being a fireman.  While in class someone cut out the windows of his Jeep Wrangler and stole an Ipod and sunglasses.  I told him to call the police and file a report.  He called 9-1-1 and they transferred him to a recorded line where he was asked to leave his phone number and someone would contact him within 36 hours.

All of this just reminds me why I carry - if the Omaha Police Department response time to a burglary is to call me back within 36 hours I'm MUCH more comfortable with the 1400 feet per second response time of the .44 mag I have strapped to me.

One more year and the kid will be old enough to get his CCW and I'll sleep a lot better.  I hate to think of what might have happened if he come out to his car while some crazed meth-head was ransacking it.
I had my Jeep window cut out and had to deal with the same recording. Kiss your stuff good bye.

As for the statistics, I just hope that all of shootings stay in a certain part of the town.

Thanks for the info Rick!