< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Hunting fatality near Fremont - Troy Shawn Hansen  (Read 3255 times)

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
Hunting fatality near Fremont - Troy Shawn Hansen
« on: October 26, 2011, 07:28:18 PM »
This happened Sunday (the 23rd).   His in-laws live here and he has friend here but all we've heard is that he was hunting and somehow shot himself.   

What we've heard (and remember this is just talk, nothing confirmed at this point.)

His hunting partner was a considerable distance from him and they were in contact by walkie-talkie.  Supposedly the partner heard three shots.  After waiting at their truck for a little while, he went looking and found Hansen dead.  The three shots make no sense, but then this story has been handed from person to person and you know how that goes.  We've heard it has been declared an accidental death.

38 years old, leaving a wife and two children... sad and tragic.

Anybody hear or read anything else?   All I can find by googling is obituaries. 

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Hunting fatality near Fremont - Troy Shawn Hansen
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 01:17:50 AM »
I hate hearing about things like this. I will be praying for his family and I hope everybody else does too.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 05:53:40 AM »
I hate hearing about things like this. I will be praying for his family and I hope everybody else does too.

Mr. Hansen must be fairly new to Bennington, his name is not familiar to me. 
Sad deal, especially with the family and all.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 06:48:47 AM »
This is the same as the father-in-law shared.   The family is having a tough time.  Prayers are certainly needed.

A Bennington, Neb., man died in a hunting accident south of Fremont in Dodge County.

Authorities said Troy Hansen, 38, died Sunday after he apparently fell and his weapon discharged. He had been duck hunting in rural southeast Dodge County.

Hansen was hunting about 7 a.m. with a friend when they split up, staying in contact via walkie-talkies.

The friend said later he heard three gunshots, Dodge County Sheriff Steve Hespen said.

About one minute later, the friend heard one more shot and lost contact with Hansen, Hespen said.

Hansen died at the scene of a single gunshot wound.

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 10:04:40 AM »
Shooting three shots is a distress signal, or used to be I guess, since no one here has picked up on it yet.
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 10:16:27 AM »
Good point Scott, it has been so long since I have heard that it had completely slipped my mind.

So based upon what has been said he fired a distress signal then several minutes later had something happen where he ended up shooting himself.  It will be interesting to hear more about this as more comes out.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 12:05:46 PM »
Or, he shot at 3 birds/whatever he was hunting, then tripped/fell/dropped the gun and it discharged somehow.  It's hard to say, we will probably never really know what happened.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 10:16:13 AM »
Tragic. And the season is just beginning.

It a good reminder that you should be prepared to handle a medical emergency out in the middle of nowhere.

Every hunter should have some basic first aid and CPR training, along with a small med kit on his/her person.

At a minimum have a commercial tourniquet, one that can be accessed immediately with either hand (not in a pack or left in the truck), and know how to use it.

- Shawn 
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 09:18:24 PM »
Troy was a close personal friend, avid hunter and the poster child for hunter safety.  Freak accident, tough loss for his family and anyone who had the priviledge of calling him friend.
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan