< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Suggestions on a 30.06  (Read 3093 times)

Offline FreedomOne

• Forum Member
  • The USA! Of, For, and By the People!
Suggestions on a 30.06
« on: November 01, 2011, 07:12:03 AM »
I am looking for suggestions for a rifle that shoots 30.06. I have one that my Great Uncle, who was a gunsmith, made for my Grandfather years ago. Beautiful gun! I don't want to shoot it. More of an heirloom now. So I am looking for something not too expensive, but something I can take out and shoot once in awhile, and Heaven forbid if the SHTF, it could be used for some long range defense. Ok that being said I came across the Remington Model 770 with a scope for $299.00 on sale. I see some good remarks about it, and others that are negative! Anyone have personal knowledge or experience with this type of rifle? What about the same kid of rifle like a Mosin Nagant in 7.62 x 54? I know you can custom fit a polymer stock on to that gun and have a nice looking rifle. I want something with some stopping power. Prefer the polymer stocked guns as well. Am looking for suggestions with keeping the cost low as possible. Thanks!

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: Suggestions on a 30.06
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 07:32:18 AM »
In my opinion, for a combination of price and accuracy, you can't beat a Savage with the accutrigger.  Reportedly the most accurate "out of the box" rifle you can get for under $500.  Then add a decent scope to it, and you will be in business.  Someone had a bunch of them on sale in their sales ad in the sunday paper, I forget who it was though.

As to the Mosin, they are great guns for SHTF, but are hard to scope properly.  They seem to be better suited as an open-sighted battle rifle... as they were designed to be.

I would definitly pass on the Remington 770.  I have not heard anything good about them.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 09:31:05 AM »
I agree, skip the 770. 

I agree Savage is the best value for your dollar.  You might also look for a Stevens rifle.  They are (were) the Savage budget line before they came out with the new Axis series.  It's the same rifle but without the Accutrigger.  I think thwy may be discontinued but you can probably find a used one cheap.

Package deals that come with a scope from the factory usually have crappy optics.  You don't have to spend a ton of money for a good scope, but don't go cheap.  If you buy a BSA or Barska you'll regret it.  Cheap scopes aren't woth the aggravation.  I learned that the hard way.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 09:34:57 AM by bkoenig »

Offline FreedomOne

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 01:44:51 AM »
Thanks for the replies! I had heard good things about Savage rifles as well! Good to get some back up on that! I had a feeling about  the Remington, but didn't want to pass on a possible "diamond in the rough" but it sounds like this is still a piece of coal. LOL! I will be "Scoping" out a savage and see what I can come up with! Thanks of the Mosin Nagant and sights comments. That info is good to have as well! Great forum here!

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 06:16:20 AM »
I just remembered seeing this too: http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,3818.0.html

That would be a darn nice entry-level gun package.  Weaver makes good scopes.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 08:15:36 AM »
Shoot your heirloom.  I do.

It isn't like you will wear it out, if you take care of it.

long range defense.

???? A rifle is for taking the fight to the enemy, which means OFFENSE.  A long range rifle even moreso.

That said, there are some real deals to be had out there, both new (Savage Axis Combo at Cabela's was $350 last week, or $250 w/o the scope and rings..... I bought a rearsenalled M59/66 Yugo SKS and a Mosin (returned, already cleaned and everything!) instead ...... range report coming when i get time......

With the Mosin, I got 4" groups at 100 yards, iron sights and shooting off sticks ...... not a sniper rifle, for sure....... whattayawantfer$99.99?

My best advice for finding a good bolt action rifle?

1. Check the consignment racks between the end of deer season and April 15th: there are great deals there (that's where I got the Mosin, when "newly re-arsenalled" Mosins were $150, same store) ...... you can usually save half or more on perfectly good rifles, and sometimes they will have pretty good glass on them, too.

2. Practice as much as you can, and to that end.......

3. .....Learn to Handload.  You won't save any money, you'll just shoot twice as much. ...... and you can make much better ammo than the bulk manufacturers.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 11:16:11 AM »
Another vote for Savage.  I own a couple myself.  Neither has the Accu-trigger.

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 08:52:06 PM »
Stay away from Remington's budget lines, they are crap. The 710s, 770s and whatever else. If you want a good cheap Remington, look for a 788. They were Remington's Budget guns, but were darn good shooters, but a little ugly.

Marlin makes a smooth action and a great trigger on their bolt guns, and very reasonably priced. You may want to check them out. 
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 10:32:32 PM »
Shoot Grandad's gun.  I'm sure it was made to be used and, IMO, there is nothing sadder than a fine tool that gets no use.  Odds are good it's better than anything you're going to buy for a reasonable price.

Offline FreedomOne

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 06:54:15 AM »
Wow! What a great forum! Got some great responses. I hadn't figured on the ones that said to shoot the handmade rifle. I mean I know that when my great uncle made a gun it was top quality and made to last. He had a perfection streak in him a mile long. I have the same trait. That was why my first reaction was to keep it all perfect looking. I still want to get another rifle, but I may shoot this once in awhile too. I'll just maintain it to keep it looking great! You guys are the best! Thanks again!

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 08:54:59 AM »
I shoot my grandfathers shotgun quite a bit.  I know I'd hate to damage it, but I also know he wouldn't want it collecting dust.

If you want to pic up a new Remington, I agree with the others, stay away from the 710/770.  The 700 sps is pretty decent and you can get it with a detachable magazine.  Personally, I think the one for sale that was linked earlier would be perfect for you.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 10:56:03 PM »
The Savage Axis line is OK in my experience but not great.  My brother in law has one in .223 and it's pretty accurate, but just doesn't feel as well made as the Model 10/11/12 series.

You might also look at Howa.  I have no experience with them other than fondling them at the gun shop, but I've heard a lot of good things about them.  They're the same company in Japan that makes the Vanguard rifles for Weatherby.

We live in the golden age of firearms.  If you buy any quality name brand gun (not the budget lines) and top it with a decent optic you can be pretty confident you'll have a rifle that will shoot close to 1 - 1.5 MOA groups with the right load. 

BTW, I used to own a Savage 12FV in .223 and it was extremely accurate.  I sold it because with the 26" bull barrel it was just too heavy to be practical, and I wanted the cash to build an AR that would shoot groups twice as big  ;D

My AR is a solid 1 MOA gun, but here's what the Savage could do on a regular basis - 5 shots at 100 yards:

« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 10:59:47 PM by bkoenig »

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 11:03:04 AM »
A Modest Suggestion for Your Consideration:

Check out the Marlin XL-7.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 08:11:32 PM »
Avoid the 770 like the plague. I have one and it is sitting in my closet with a broken off bolt handle. Scope on it broke from the recoil of the 300 win mag and was just plain nasty glass anyways. Very gritty action, ok but creepy trigger. Can be very difficult to close the bolt and opening can be a problem. My bolt handle broke off when I was trying to open the action that was stuck shut for some unknown reason. Bought mine from Davidson's so I will hopefully get the lifetime warranty coverage for it. If/when it gets fixed it will go straight to the pawn shop.

On another note I have a TC Venture in .308 and it is wonderful. Cheap gun for the outstanding quality you get with it. I recommend one of those, and I have heard good things about Weatherby Vanguards.

Offline FreedomOne

• Forum Member
Food for thought.....
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 01:19:21 AM »
True story and most people will never know it.
Here's an interesting side bar.
After the Japanese decimated our fleet in Pearl Harbor Dec 7, 1941, they could have sent their troop ships and carriers directly to California
to finish what they started.
The prediction from our Chief of Staff was we would not be able to stop a massive invasion until they reached the Mississippi River .
Remember, we had a 2 million man army and war ships... all fighting the Germans.
So, why did they not invade?
After the war, the remaining Japanese generals and admirals were asked that question.
Their answer... they know that almost every home had guns and the Americans knew how to use them.
The world's largest army... America 's hunters!
I had never thought about this....
A blogger added up the deer license sales in just a handful of states and arrived at a striking conclusion:
There were over 600,000 hunters this season in the state of Wisconsin .
Allow me to restate that number, differently.
Over the last several months, Wisconsin 's hunters became the eighth largest army in the world.
More men under arms than in Iran .
More than in France and Germany combined.
These men deployed to the woods of a single American state to hunt with firearms, and no one was killed.
That number pales in comparison to the 750,000 who hunted the woods of Pennsylvania and Michigan 's 700,000 hunters. All of whom have now returned home.
Toss in a quarter million hunters in West Virginia and it literally establishes the fact that the hunters of those four states alone would comprise the largest army in the world.
The point?
America will forever be safe from foreign invasion with that kind of home-grown firepower.
Hunting -- it's not just a way to fill the freezer, it's a matter of national security.
That's why all enemies, foreign and domestic, want to see us disarmed.
Food for thought when next we consider gun control.

Offline FreedomOne

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 01:24:03 AM »
This is one great forum! There are lots of great suggestions and advice! I have read each one and it is all great info! Thank you very much to each one of you! I haven't made up my mind yet, but when I do, I will post it on here for sure! Once again, Thank You!