< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: I've got a question about barrel length and avoiding SBR status  (Read 1342 times)

Offline 44Dave

• Icon of Sin
  • NFOA Full Member
I've got a question about barrel length and avoiding SBR status
« on: November 08, 2011, 06:16:28 PM »
I'm looking at a 14.5" barrel for an AR build.  My flash suppressor is 1.75" long.  If I combine them (solder) do I end up with 16.25" or is some of that 14.5" the threads that disappear into my flash suppressor, effectively making my barrel too short?

Newb

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: I've got a question about barrel length and avoiding SBR status
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 07:11:59 PM »
you can have a 14.5" barrel on your rifle as long as it has a permanently attached flash hider/suppressor and becomes at least 16".  and make sure you attach it correctly and per ATF specs.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline 44Dave

• Icon of Sin
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 07:17:21 PM »
Yes, I was just wondering if the threads at the muzzle were generally counted as part of the measured barrel length or if they were over and above the 14.5" length.  Is there a standard way of measuring, or will different manufacturers do it differently?
I suppose I should call the manu in the morning and just ask.

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 07:24:50 PM »
A barrel is measured from the closed bolt face to the end of the barrel. Use a wooden dowel.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 07:29:22 PM »
i don't think the threads are counted until you permanently attach a muzzle device on.  a good way to measure barrel length is this:  put a cleaning rod or dowel down the barrel with your BCG in the upper receiver.  drop the rod down, mark it off and then pull it out and measure it.

but i think someone else should comment to clear up any confusion.

ETA: JSG beat me to it.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 08:00:19 PM »
Straight from the horses mouth. (So to speak)

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-chapter-2.pdf

The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to
the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of
attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver
soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod
into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the
furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and
measured.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius