< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Last two Multigun Matches of the year at ENGC...  (Read 3633 times)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Last two Multigun Matches of the year at ENGC...
« on: November 12, 2011, 12:24:14 PM »
We've got just two last Multigun matches this year at ENGC---and they are coming up soon.

Nov 20th Multigun:  One shotgun stage, one pistol/rifle stage, one pistol stage, and one all-three-guns stage.  For the shotgun stage, you are going to need at least four slugs, so remember to bring some! 

Nov 27th Multigun:  one rifle stage, one shotgun stage, one pistol/shotgun stage, and one pistol/rifle stage.  No slugs needed this time---but I'm thinking you are going to need to remember to bring plenty of rifle rounds.

...and after that, we are done with Multigun for the year!  Our proposed 2012 schedule has the first Multigun of 2012 on March 18th, so you have awhile to practice before then.  (And we get to wait until it warms up a little, too!)

See you at the range!

Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
Re: Last two Multigun Matches of the year at ENGC...
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 07:10:04 PM »
Nov 20th Multigun:  One shotgun stage, one pistol/rifle stage, one pistol stage, and one all-three-guns stage.  For the shotgun stage, you are going to need at least four slugs, so remember to bring some! 

That's tomorrow, for those who have trouble with calendars.  :)  Grab your guns and ammo and meet us at the range---should be a fun match!  Show up and get yourself registered early so that we can start shooting right at 9am.  Better yet, show up at 7:30am and help set up the stages---help is ALWAYS appreciated.

(And don't forget at least 4 slugs for the shotgun.  Birdshot on paper targets just doesn't work well....)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 07:56:52 PM »
Checked my zero with slugs tonight, I'm ready to go.  Looks like those flip up sights I installed are finally going to pay off.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 05:56:31 AM »
Checked my zero with slugs tonight, I'm ready to go.  Looks like those flip up sights I installed are finally going to pay off.

It just occurred to me to mention---when we say "bring at least four slugs" we actually mean "in addition to your regular amount of birdshot."  We'll still have plenty of steel to shoot, too.

Just in case I wasn't clear!

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 05:10:38 PM »

Apparently it worked for you, too----6th out of 22 shooters on the shotgun stage!

(And 4th out of 11 Tac Optics shooters for the match.  Nice job!)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 05:32:57 PM »
Yeah, that fubar I did on the pistol stage really killed me.  Forgetting to shoot one target kind of hurts your score.  I seem to have at least one mental mistake every match.  But hey, any day I get to shoot is a good day.

You had a pretty good day, though.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 07:12:14 PM »
Yeah, that fubar I did on the pistol stage really killed me.  Forgetting to shoot one target kind of hurts your score.  I seem to have at least one mental mistake every match.  But hey, any day I get to shoot is a good day.

You had a pretty good day, though.

Not too bad.  My shotgun sucks, compared to my pistol and rifle.  [sigh]  I really need to just spend some hours practicing reloading that thing.  My _accuracy_ and _shot speed_ are both just fine---but I still reload like an arthritic sloth. 

And hitting that no-shoot on bay 6 was annoying---that would have been an excellent run had I not shot a hole in a hostage's head.  Whoops.

Well, there's always next week's match.  :)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 12:33:10 PM »
Anyone from Lincoln want to car pool to the match tomorrow?

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 05:09:48 PM »
Anyone from Lincoln want to car pool to the match tomorrow?

It should be a good time, folks---four stages:
  • Pistol/Shotgun
  • Shotgun
  • Pistol/Rifle
  • Rifle
...and Doug is planning the rifle stage, and I'm planning the pistol/rifle, so be prepared for some seriously skewed rifle shots.    :o

It is your last chance until March to shoot Multigun in this area---so don't miss out.  Just make sure you are in Open or Tac Irons division, because I really don't need even MORE competition.  :)  (And somebody besides Dennis needs to shoot in Heavy Metal Optics, so pull out a .45, a pump-action 12 gauge, and your .308 and head out to the match!)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 07:16:52 PM »
Greetings,

Not sure if I can make it to this, but was considering it.  I have a new AR-15 with flip-up sights and 30 round magazines.  I also have a stock pistol and scabbard holster. 

I do NOT have any method to carry magazines or a rifle sling.

I have also read on the ENPS facebook Notes page that the following is suggested...
Equipment needed:
Pistol, holster, magazines, magazine pouches, good gun belt, ammunition.  It is strongly suggested that your pistol be a full-capacity type—while shooting revolver or single-stack is legal, it’ll be a lot easier on you to shoot something with a large magazine capacity.

Rifle, extra magazines, magazine pouches. Most competitors use some form of AR-15 variant for 3-Gun competition. However, people have shot rifle stages using a Garand.  Bring what centerfire rifle you have (semi-auto), and it’ll work out.

So should I wait and get some magazine pouches before I try this?  At least if there is some equipment that would be "nice to have" but not required, I could claim my poor performance was due to my lack of equipment.  ;D

Lastly, how many handgun and rifle rounds should I bring?

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 07:52:21 PM »
Your back pockets will work just fine for mag holders until you get something better.  No sense in buying anything until you have tried it a couple of times.  I've never needed a sling.

I generally bring 100 rounds for each gun.  I've never gone through that many but I like having extra.

You'll also need some way to carry extra shotgun shells.  I have a shotgun shell pouch made for trap shooting that you can borrow if you want.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 09:24:24 PM »
Your back pockets will work just fine for mag holders until you get something better.

Oh great! Now you are telling me I have to wear pants?! I was just going to show up in my tighty whiteys.  :D

You'll also need some way to carry extra shotgun shells.  I have a shotgun shell pouch made for trap shooting that you can borrow if you want.

Oh yes.  That was the other question I forgot to ask.  Can you just shoot handgun and rifle, or do you have to have all three because I don't have a shotgun that is even remotely suitable?

Thanks for the answers Brian.

Fly

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 10:04:46 PM »
You need a shotgun, but you can borrow mine if you want.  Just bring some 7.5 or 8 shot.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 07:48:55 AM »
Greetings,

Not sure if I can make it to this, but was considering it.  I have a new AR-15 with flip-up sights and 30 round magazines.  I also have a stock pistol and scabbard holster. 

I do NOT have any method to carry magazines or a rifle sling.
[snip]
So should I wait and get some magazine pouches before I try this?  At least if there is some equipment that would be "nice to have" but not required, I could claim my poor performance was due to my lack of equipment.  ;D

Lastly, how many handgun and rifle rounds should I bring?

Fly

You aren't going to need a sling for our matches.

A lot of people for starters just stick an extra rifle mag into their back pocket, and extra pistol mags into a coat pocket/front pocket somewhere.  Not a problem.  It is certainly slower for reloading--but for a first time out, being fast isn't going to be your goal. Having a safe, fun match will be your goal.  :)

Koenig is spot-on regarding the ability to carry shotgun shells, though---some sort of pouch will be necessary.  If you want to shoot all the stages, you'll have to have/borrow a shotgun and have a way to carry extra rounds.  (For example, the shotgun stage last week was a 25-round stage if you never missed.)  You can simply skip stages with shotgun---but you won't like it.  (This coming week, two out of the four stages require a shotgun---one is shotgun-only, the other is pistol/shotgun.)

Go buy a Federal 100-round package of 7.5 or 8 shot from Walmart, and come on out to the match.  If Koenig's shotgun isn't available, you can use mine. 

100 rounds of pistol and rifle ammo each should be more than enough.  I tend to bring a little more, but that is in case I need to reshoot something, or calibrate something, or someone needs to borrow some.    Never lost a match yet because I brought too much ammo. 

Regarding "suitable" shotguns:  I started with a 18" Rem 870 pumpgun, and it worked just fine.  I've seen people use shotguns with 3-4 round tubes, and while they were reloading a lot, they still had fun.  It would be interesting to see someone shoot this with a double-barreled shotgun....   ;D

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 10:46:19 AM »
Thanks guys and forgive all the questions, but is the final score a cumulative from all the stages (shotgun, shotgun/handgun, rifle/handgun, etc.) or are each of these stages a separate event? 

Also, I appreciate the offers to use your shotguns, but I feel very odd about doing that.  It kind of feels like borrowing another guys underwear.  I would be nervous enough about embarrassing myself, let alone doing something stupid with someones equipment.  I do have a pump action shotgun, but it is a Ithaca 37T.  Good gun, but with a low capacity tube (5 shells?) and a full length barrel, it would be kind of unwieldy.

Fly

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 11:06:52 AM »
Fly,

Coming from a 1st year rookie shooter, GO TO THE MATCH.

The guys there are great and they will guide you thru all the needed safety issues and will offer pointers on how to run the stages.

My feeling has been to expect to finish last, but so what. You are only competing with yourself.

Go to the match, be safe, do the best that you can, and figure out what you need on your Christmas Wish List.   ;D
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2011, 12:03:11 PM »
My other concern is that I have not yet perfected my combat roll with a firearm.   ;D

Seriously though, thanks for all the info.  I will get to one of these eventually if not tomorrow's match. My other concern is that I have to go back to work on Monday and my last day off is usually a crazy hectic day running around doing all the things I forgot to do before I leave town for a week.  Today is out due to family obligations.  Apparently my family thinks I should participate in their lives...sheesh! Kidding of course.

Fly

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2011, 12:23:11 PM »
Thanks guys and forgive all the questions, but is the final score a cumulative from all the stages (shotgun, shotgun/handgun, rifle/handgun, etc.) or are each of these stages a separate event?

Each stage is worth 100 points.  The match points you receive per stage will be based on how you do compared to the best score on that stage in your division.  (Ex:  You do the stage in 45.00 seconds, and the best time is 39.50 seconds.  That other guy gets 100 points, and you get 39.50/45.00 = 87.78 points.) 

All the match points from each of the four stages are added up, and whoever has the most match points (in your division) wins. 

There is one overall score for the match.  We do keep track of stage winners, but that is just for interpersonal commentary.  :) 

Also, I appreciate the offers to use your shotguns, but I feel very odd about doing that.  It kind of feels like borrowing another guys underwear.  I would be nervous enough about embarrassing myself, let alone doing something stupid with someones equipment.  I do have a pump action shotgun, but it is a Ithaca 37T.  Good gun, but with a low capacity tube (5 shells?) and a full length barrel, it would be kind of unwieldy.

That shotgun would work fine---people have shot with much worse.  It isn't optimal, but it'll be just fine.

As long as you don't try to use our shotguns as hammers or tent spikes, I don't think you have to worry about it.  :)

Just come out and try it---once you do, you'll realize that you can just relax and have fun.  As long as you are safe, everything else is just about having a good time.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2011, 12:46:35 PM »
Yeah, it's not like you're going to hurt a shotgun by borrowing it.  Mine has enough dings and scratches that I wouldn't notice any more.  It wouldn't be the first time I've loaned a gun at a match and it won't be the last.  Your Ithaca would be fine, though.  I started with an 870 my first year, but this year I moved up to an autoloader.  With shotguns it's more about how fast you can reload, though.  Like any other kind of shooting the software is more important than the hardware.  I'm still working on that. ;D

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 10:42:13 PM »
I just read on the ENGC calendar that there is a Multi-gun match on Sunday December 18th.  Is that correct?  According to jthhapkido the last two matches were in November?

Fly
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 10:44:25 PM by OnTheFly »