< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Let's see your deer season pics!  (Read 3088 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Let's see your deer season pics!
« on: November 14, 2011, 07:22:12 PM »
I'll start off.  Didn't see much this year, which is weird because I know the deer population where I hunt is really high.  Not sure if it was the warm weather or what.  I ended up taking this little buck on opening morning and I'm glad I did because I didn't get another shot all weekend.  I shot him once through the lungs and he acted like nothing happened, even though I could see blood gushing out of the hole.  So, I shot him a second time in the same spot, and he kind of just trotted off and laid down.

Here's a view from the stand where I shot him.  He was just below the horizon at the top of the hill on the upper right part of the picture.  Another 10 yards further and I wouldn't have been able to take a shot safely.  It was about 75 yards from my stand.

Another view from my stand, facing down the draw that I sat in.  There's not much cover, but the deer use this area like a highway to travel back and forth between feeding areas and cover.  It has really steep sides, so I was about as dead as my deer after I drug him all the way up from the bottom.

A picture of my rifle.  It's a 12.5" SBR in 6.8 SPC.  Hunting with an SBR was great, I highly recommend it.  It's a lot easier to lug around than a full size deer rifle.  Due to the lack of mags and hard to find brass I'm planning on changing this over to .300 BLK.  I had a weird malfunction when I tried to shoot my deer.  The first two rounds I tried to fire just went "click" and the primers weren't even dented.  When I tore it down later I found a piece of brass had lodged in the firing pin channel.

Oh, and by the way, the mag is blocked off to only hold 5 rounds.  C Products used to make 5 round 6.8 mags but they went out of business, so now you have to improvise.

I always get a chuckle out of driving around with legs sticking out the back of my pickup.  I guess it's the redneck in me.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 07:31:11 AM by bkoenig »

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Let's see your deer season pics!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 09:02:52 PM »
you're right.  WildGoose's Granddaughter did get a bigger buck:)

I might see what i can get next weekend, i have land to hunt with sole permissions.  (it's more about just getting away from people for me, but if something pops up and says shoot me, i'm gonna)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 09:05:10 PM by gsd »
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 07:53:05 AM »
I was hunting about 8 miles south of Clearwater and about all I saw was bucks about like your Brian.  I know they are in the area but must have gone nocturnal.  Oh well, we'll give it another shot this weekend.  Brian, are you hunting north or south of Clearwater?
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 09:55:43 AM »
I hunted our land about 60 miles south of Yankton this past weekend.  On Saturday morning I saw nine deer (some of them might have been repeat sightings) and took the buck in the picture below.  He had some interesting non-typical stuff on the left side of his antlers. 

Pretty much everything was moving at a liesurely pace.  I don't think the rut has started up at our place yet.  A buddy of mine who hunted down in Otoe county said that it looked like the rut was just getting started down there.

Saturday afternoon, my son and I went out but didn't see anything.  Our place isn't all that big (160 acres) and I think all the activity on Saturday morning had the deer pretty well hunkered down.  I went out again Sunday morning and saw one doe.  She was near the top of a rise with a neighbor's house on the other side of it.  It was a make-able shot but I was at the bottom of the rise and didn't want to shoot uphill in the direction of a house.  I tried to move around behind her as she headed down the hill.  I had almost no cover so she spotted me and took off before I could get in position for another shot.

Hopefully, next weekend the rut will be in full swing.   :D

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 10:20:52 AM »
I was hunting about 8 miles south of Clearwater and about all I saw was bucks about like your Brian.  I know they are in the area but must have gone nocturnal.  Oh well, we'll give it another shot this weekend.  Brian, are you hunting north or south of Clearwater?

I was northeast of Clearwater, probably about 8 miles as the crow flies.  If you take the Royal road north from 275 you go right past my family's place.  I think the rut is just getting started - my sister shot a nice 5x5 that had a swollen up neck, but mine didn't appear to be rutting.  I'm wondering if the unseasonably warm weather delayed it?  I don't know if that has an effect, but the deer were definitely not moving.  None of the guys I hunt with saw much.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 10:23:31 AM by bkoenig »

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 10:33:16 AM »
Here is my Minnesota buck, shot 11/5. I got another nice fat Doe 11/7. Used a .243 Federal 100gr.
Still working on my Nebraska deer for this year  :(
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 10:34:43 AM »
I was northeast of Clearwater, probably about 8 miles as the crow flies.  If you take the Royal road north from 275 you go right past my family's place.  I think the rut is just getting started - my sister shot a nice 5x5 that had a swollen up neck, but mine didn't appear to be rutting.  I'm wondering if the unseasonably warm weather delayed it?  I don't know if that has an effect, but the deer were definitely not moving.  None of the guys I hunt with saw much.

Off the Royal road, thats where my uncle's hired hand shot a really nice one with his bow I hear.  I think he owns the archery shop in Clearwater. The rut was getting going a week and a half ago but I think the unseasonal warm weather halted it a bit.  My brother saw a really big one mounting a doe on the neighbors property. 

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 11:21:55 AM »

Supposedly, the rut is triggered by daylight more than temps but my uneducated opinion is that there are multiple factors involved.  The bucks I saw were all strolling liesurely along ... as were the does.  No chasing, no mounting, no pushing.  In fact, when I went into the brush to get my buck, a doe jumped up and ran out of the trees about 20 yards away.  From watching my buck before I shot him, he didn't even act like there was a doe anywhere close.

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 12:49:57 PM »
Supposedly, the rut is triggered by daylight more than temps but my uneducated opinion is that there are multiple factors involved.  The bucks I saw were all strolling liesurely along ... as were the does.  No chasing, no mounting, no pushing.  In fact, when I went into the brush to get my buck, a doe jumped up and ran out of the trees about 20 yards away.  From watching my buck before I shot him, he didn't even act like there was a doe anywhere close.
Thats the strange thing, some of them we saw a couple weeks ago archery hunting looked like they were really getting into the rut, chasing doe out in the middle of a corn field in the middle of the day, nose to the ground, yet this weekend rifle hunting we only saw a couple that looked like they were rutting, like the one that my brother watched mount that doe, otherwise most didn't seem too interested in it yet. I also believe there are several factors involved with the rut. Daylight, temp, moon cycle, harvest I think can even effect it some in my opinion.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 08:38:10 PM »
Member Poor Man would like to post some pictures but is having problems.

Could one of you post a mini tutorial on posting pictures or attaching pictures to a post for me?

Kinda tied up right now
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 08:46:31 PM »
Poor Man - hit the "Preview" button at the bottom of the page to get to the advanced text editor.  From there you can either link to an image on the internet (say on your photobucket account if you have one) by clicking the little Mona Lisa icon and entering your image URL:

Or, if the image is stored locally on your computer you can click the "Attachments and other options" down below the text editor and browse out to an image on your computer.  Attachments are limited to 450KB so if it's a big image you'll have to go to www.photobucket.com and create an account to host your images:

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 12:46:06 PM »
I had a nice 8 pt walk within 6 paces of me and had to just watch him as the does seemed to be taking the weekend off. I saw 4-5 bucks desperately searching for female companionship. I figured if the bucks couldn't find them, they weren't there. I was in a "Earn a buck" area and this 10pt teased me for about 10 minutes. He didn't even mind me digging through my backpack to find my camera and was nice enough to pose for me. As far as I know he's still out there. I got an antlerless deer about an hour after this guy left. Never saw him again.

Here's another shot of him:

« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 12:55:36 PM by Waltherfan »

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 09:06:35 AM »
Here is the little guy I got this season, longest shot I've taken with my Benelli R1 300 win mag.  He was out around 250-300 yards.  I tried to clean the picture up a bit to get rid of the blood and especially my ugly mug.

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 01:17:15 PM »
Our season was a bit off too. Not nearly as many does around just like everyone else. I think that the fact that no one was hunting the other half of the section I have didn't help. This can tend to allow the deer to have a place to hang up in. My granddaughter shot the best buck we took. I have already posted a pic down in the Kids and Guns section if you want to take a look. She shot him at about as far from our stand as you can get. Right at 180 yards, it was a nice hit too. I got a small doe on opening day and went back out on Friday and shot two more for the old meat locker. OK season all in all. At least the weather was nice. I have included a couple of pics from our stand. Its a double that my granddaughter and I sit in together. I really get a kick out of watching her do her thing. And yes she guts her own kill. If  you look to the left of my truck all the way up in the corner of the frame that is where her buck was. The strange creature in the other pic is one of my hunting buddies who helps us put up our stand.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 01:20:29 PM by Wildgoose »

Online Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 07:47:14 AM »
I took an antlerless on Sunday of opening weekend.  It turned out to be a button buck that was about the size of a mature doe.  Actually, the antlers were more than buttons, they were 4-5 inches, but grew straight back along the scalp with the hair covering them.  I hunted a bid during the week, and took a good bodied buck with a rack like Brian's.

It is a good outcome.  It puts meet in the freezer and saves me any taxidermy costs.  One of these days, though, I'll get a nice wall hanger.

If the winter is as mild as the fall has been, I'll get out for does after Christmas.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 06:41:22 PM »
Here's my niece's deer....... 220 yard heart shot!

The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.