< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Kearney Repeals Concealed Carry Ordinance!!!!!  (Read 3387 times)

Offline allcd88

• NFOA Full Member
Kearney Repeals Concealed Carry Ordinance!!!!!
« on: January 27, 2009, 08:46:34 PM »
My brother just returned from the Counsel meeting in Kearney and said they voted 4 to 1 to repeal the ordinance prohibiting concealed carry.
The only vote against came from Randy Buschkutter.
Jos 24:15  And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve;.............. but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Kearney Repeals Concealed Carry Ordinance!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 08:55:23 PM »
That is great news. 

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline allcd88

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 10:39:07 PM »
http://www.nebraska.tv/Global/story.asp?S=9744272&nav=menu605_1

Kearney Lawmakers Repeal Concealed Weapons Ban

Posted: Jan 27, 2009 09:31 PM MST

Updated: Jan 27, 2009 09:31 PM MST

After more than 50 years on the books, Kearney erased its concealed weapon ban Tuesday night.     

By a vote of four to one, council decided to follow the Attorney General's opinion and
repeal its ban.

The state's law allowing people to carry concealed weapons went into effect in 2006.  Recently, the senator from District 44, Mark Christensen, asked Attorney General Jon Bruning to take a look.    Bruning issued an opinion saying the state law overrules local bans.

The majority of council members say they trust the Attorney General and don't want to chance
getting taken to court.

Stanley CLouse, the mayor of Kearney, says "It potentially create a situation where law abiding citizens become in violation of the law and it's just a matter of time until were facing some litigation. So, in my view, I think we should repeal the ordinance."

Councilman Randy Buschkoettter was the only one who voted to keep the ban. He says the legislature purposely left out wording that makes the state law supreme.

Randy Buschkoetter, vice-president of the Kearney city council, says  "They didn't forget it.   They meant to leave it out and left the door open for us to make those decisions and nothing has changed since the last time we addressed this two years ago."

Folks will be able to carry concealed weapons with a permit in Kearney in 30 days.

Only about 4,700 Nebraskans statewide have gotten those permits so far.

Jos 24:15  And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve;.............. but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 10:47:26 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D Raise the roof!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Can't stop here.  Need to be very pro-active for LB430...big time!!  Check out my recent thread on "LB430 Action Needed".....a direct request from Senator Christensen (author of LB430) for folks to contact the Senators on the Judiciary Committee and voice their support for LB430 so that the bill can get out of committee and onto the senate floor for debate and vote.  The thread includes the listing of senators on that committee along with their e-mails.
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 10:54:30 PM »
http://www.kearneyhub.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=20250018&BRD=268&PAG=461&dept_id=577608&rfi=6

By: SARA GIBONEY, Hub Staff Writer
01/27/2009
Updated 01/27/2009 08:40:57 PM CST
Email to a friendPrinter-friendly
KEARNEY - The Kearney City Council voted to repeal the city's ban on carrying concealed weapons.
Advertisement

At Tuesday's meeting, the city council voted 4-1 to adopt an ordinance repealing in the ban on carrying concealed weapons.

Randy Buschkoetter was the only councilman to vote against the adoption of the ordinance.

The city of Kearney has had a ban on carrying concealed weapons since 1958.

The council was considering changing the ordinance because Nebraska Attorney General Jon Bruning recently questioned whether or not local governments have the authority to place their own restrictions on carrying concealed weapons.

"The attorney general's opinion is advisory in nature," said City Attorney Mike Tye. "It does not have the force of law."

For more on this story, check back here and see tomorrow's Kearney Hub print edition.

e-mail to:
sara.giboney@kearneyhub.com
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 11:27:57 PM »
Great news! Too bad it was in response to the possibility of a law suit instead of wanting to do the right thing for law abiding citizens, though. But hey, we'll take it!

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 11:42:54 PM »
How about email campaigns to the rest of the banned cities.
Letting them know that they may be facing a lawsuit if there
CCW Ordinance is not changed.

We can research are member data base for members that live in these towns.
Notify them of need to talk, write, email and attend there City Council Meetings.

Opinions Thoughts Welcomed
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 10:56:44 PM »
Yay!

Plattsmouth, check.  Kearny, check.  What's next on the list?
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 09:15:23 AM »
Plattsmouth, check.  Kearny, check.  What's next on the list?

The whole state!!!....through LB430!!!  Let's keep truckin'  8)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 09:16:39 AM by Aldo »
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline lefty

• Powder Benefactor
  • KC0DA, NRA, USAF 57-61
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 10:05:04 AM »
NTV had a report last night that interest in CCW permits has increased in the Kearney area since they repealed their band.  I don't know where they got their information.

They also did a good story on the time and cost on involved to obtain a CCW permit. I was surprised they went fairly in depth how the Highway Patrol was involved also with the finger printing and background checks. They interviewed CCW holder and also an instructor.

I am not a resident of Kearney but live fairly close by.

Offline lefty

• Powder Benefactor
  • KC0DA, NRA, USAF 57-61
Kearney Concealed Carry Ordinance Signs Finally Coming Down!
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 09:41:20 AM »
I contacted the City of Kearney and here is my e-mail and their response.............

Mr. XXXXXXXX,

Thank you for informing us that the signs have not been removed.  Staff has been notified to take them down immediately.

Julie Steffensmeier
Administrative Assistant
City of Kearney
18 East 22nd St.
Kearney, NE  68848-1180
(308) 233-3214 (office)
(308) 234-6399 (fax)
www.cityofkearney.org

To:  <citymanager@kearneygov.org> 
Date:  04/28/2009 06:17 PM 
Subject:  Concealed Carry Weapons

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In January/February the Kearney City Council voted to remove the ban on concealed carried weapons.

Today, I noticed that the City of Kearney still has the "Not Allowed Signs/Concealed Carry" in place at
the city limits.  When will these be removed?  These only tend to continue to confuse the issue!

Thank You.

XXXXXXXXX
Minden, Nebraska

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 01:06:22 PM »
Good on ya' Lefty!
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 08:08:29 PM »
Good job.  Ever vigilant.  ;)
NRA Life Member.