< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: So ...... what did YOU learn this Deer Season?  (Read 4825 times)

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
So ...... what did YOU learn this Deer Season?
« on: November 20, 2011, 11:27:59 PM »
Now that the work is done and the freezer is stocked....... I can take a minute to think about what I learned.

1. A 7mm 140 gr Hornady spire point bullet leaving the muzzle at 2400 f/sec, fairly well placed, will kill a deer just as stone dead as an equally fairly well placed 7mm 140 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip leaving at 2800 f/sec, at least at ranges less than 100 yards ...... and  will make a whole lot less mess of the deer in the process.

2. Eldest gets deer fever...... she can pop dozens of milk jugs at 150 yards...... 2 deer at the same range? 6 shots, 3 hits, only 1 lethal ....... needs practice.

3. Conversely, my niece "P", at the ripe old age of 12, seems to be a natural: her first deer was taken at 220 yards with a shot through the heart...... she had fired all of 6 rounds of (sort of-see below) live ammo through  the gun.....

4. Deer season, 280 miles from home is a bad time to figure out that you seated primers too deep, causing misfires...... I learned this second hand from my brother...... "P" got 2 clicks before she got the boom that pushed the bullet through her deer's heart at 220 yards.

5. I am not as good as I need to be at butchering deer: I spent 4 days out of the 9 day season processing 7 deer...... I have to get faster.

6. Wearing hunter Orange is no disadvantage when hunting turkeys, if the grass is tall enough: you just treat them as "Magnum Pheasants" ........ a dog would have been ideal in that situation, but we took 3 in less than 2 hours of hunting, walking in a mixed grass pasture.....

The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
Re: So ...... what did YOU learn this Deer Season?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 11:42:17 AM »
The draw length on my bow was too long. And deer can seem closer than they actually are.
"The Most Important Political Office Is That Of The Private Citizen"  Louis Brandeis

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 11:30:20 AM »
Not necessarily learned this year, but definitely reinforced this year ...

1. Sitting and waiting for deer to come to you - even if you know their travel patterns - is highly overrated.  I have yet to shoot a deer from the nice, comfy blind in the "perfect" position on my property.  Stalking is much more challenging and fun.

2. Somehow you can be warmer in 20-degree weather while a 20-mile per hour wind blows freezing drizzle that covers you than you can be in 12-degree weather with no precipitation and no wind.

3. Sometimes deer simply disappear.

4. Turkey show up when you're hunting deer and deer while you're hunting turkey.

5. There is no substitute for trigger time when it comes to improving accuracy ... except for trigger time that simulates real-world conditions.

6. A .30-06 round at 110 yards pretty much turns deer lungs into pudding.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 11:02:59 PM »

General Observations, FWTW:

Every deer [and antelope] that I've ever shot in the classic heart/lung spot just behind the front legs has run off a goodly ways after the shooting.   At least a run of some 50 yards.   Shot and killed, but still running.   Once a doe antelope ran downhill about 300 yards or so, w/.30-06 bullet classically placed.   Then down.   

Every deer [and antelope] that I've ever shot in the head or in the neck has gone down right on the spot without taking so much as a single step afterwards.   Lights out.   Period.

Spine shots are an entirely different category.    They can be ugly.    Hope I never do another one, ever again.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 08:03:11 AM »
Actually took my deer at around 250 yards this year with a neck shot right below the head and down he went.  So many nerves in the neck, along with that giant 300 win mag round took him straight down. 
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 04:57:48 PM »
First year I have done any hunting at all.

1. Public land is awful for deer. Saw more upland hunters than deer hunters at Yankee Hill WMA and their dogs like to run away from them and scare deer out of the bedding area my blind was overlooking at a dead sprint.

2. I need to scout more during late summer to find where deer are actually bedding.

3. You can never have too many deer rifles. Siting in my Remington 770 300wm the bolt handle broke off and it is impossible to find a replacement bolt, so I bought a TC Venture in .308. Just discovered my TC was recalled for defective sear so I probably won't have it back for late season doe. This forces me to use my AR and limit shots to 100 yards...

4. Cold weather camo is a necessity, had on 5 random layers of clothes one day with a bright blue winter coat and was still cold sitting still.

5. Ground blinds are OK but I would like a tree stand so I can see farther.

And on the note of #1 does anybody have some land that needs does taken in the Area 20 Season Choice zone? It is a good portion of the Southeast part of the state.

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 07:40:13 PM »
No matter how many times you ask permission, the ditch drivers will find you.  Sitting in blind, they park in the field on the hill behind you.  Too nervous to stay in blind.  Beer cans being thrown out of truck added to nervousness.  Sixth year using blind, sixth year having a strolling 50 yard shot.  4 Hunters, 5 deer (one nice eight pointer).  Made farmer happy, got rid of 4 does for him.  (Yes Mr.Farmer, I will shoot does if you want me to)

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 08:45:29 PM »
Cold weather camo is a necessity, had on 5 random layers of clothes one day with a bright blue winter coat and was still cold sitting still.

I just read an article on what deer see (latest issue of the NRA's American Hunter, IIRC) and it suggested deer see blue better than any other color......

as for 5 layers: was the layer closest to your skin cotton?  If cotton get damp (from perspriation or damp weather), it is less than useless- it will actually make you colder than not wearing it at all.  A A good polypro base layer is a great investment- I still use the stuff my Rich Uncle issued me nearly 20 years ago......

I don't think I'd ever hunt Public land in this half of the state- my private hideyhole in Furnas County is looking enough like a punkin' patch these days...... and I lost 1/3 of my deer dirt (and my only reliable turkey ground) to a lease this year....... :'(    I found some more places to hunt deer, but none as good as the quarter that got leased out.......

Having a place to hunt is the hardest thing- It is the reason I drive 5 hours to hunt deer: I have spent decades developing relationships with the landowners thereabouts ...... unfortunately, money talks louder than I can........  I don't blame the landowner: $2500 for no work at all is hard to pass up, especially to a small operator.......
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 07:46:56 AM »
4. Cold weather camo is a necessity, had on 5 random layers of clothes one day with a bright blue winter coat and was still cold sitting still.

Check out my Keeping Warm in the Cold thread: http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,4292.msg31125.html#msg31125  It might have some ideas for you.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 02:57:48 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys! I had on long johns and some cotton/denim camo pants from cabelas for my legs. My torso had an old under armour base layer, a cotton t-shirt, a big cotton sweater I initially bought for an ugly sweater party, a thin polyester long sleeve shirt, and the winter coat that has a fleece inner layer. Few days ago I ordered some bibs from cabelas that have 150gram insulation and Dry-Plus, a hooded jacket with 100gram insulation, and a microfleece balaclava that is supposed to block the wind. All I need now is a hand warmer that hangs from the hip like football players have and I should be ready. Hope to test it all out when I get over my flu and do some post-school pre-christmas bowhunting.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 10:58:43 PM »
No matter how many times you ask permission, the ditch drivers will find you.  Sitting in blind, they park in the field on the hill behind you.  Too nervous to stay in blind.  Beer cans being thrown out of truck added to nervousness.  Sixth year using blind, sixth year having a strolling 50 yard shot.  4 Hunters, 5 deer (one nice eight pointer).  Made farmer happy, got rid of 4 does for him.  (Yes Mr.Farmer, I will shoot does if you want me to)

The stand I shot my deer from is 50 yards off of a paved road.  About 1/2 hour after sunrise some guy pulls up and parks his car on the side of the road, right where the deer like to cross. :angry:

He then spends the next 15 minutes banging around in his trunk and getting his junk together.  Finally he slams the car trunk and wanders off to the property on the other side of the road.  He just stands there out in the open for about 5 minutes, then walks further in.

Luckily my deer came from the other direction so he didn't have a chance to scare it off.  My brother in law drove past later that morning and said the guy was just sitting next to a tree, out in the open just off the road.  I'm guessing he didn't have much luck that day.  I'm no great hunter by any means, but at least I have the ambition to get out to the field before the sun comes up, and I know enough to be quiet and hold still.

I hate road hunters.  If they don't have permission to hunt on someone's land, and shooting from the road is illegal, I don't know who they think they're fooling by driving around looking for deer.  Same goes for trespassers.  It's been a couple of years since we've had to run anyone off, but in years past it was really bad.  I don't get the mindset where people think it's ok to just walk onto land they don't own. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 11:03:55 PM by bkoenig »

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 09:29:22 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys! I had on long johns and some cotton/denim camo pants from cabelas for my legs. My torso had an old under armour base layer, a cotton t-shirt, a big cotton sweater I initially bought for an ugly sweater party, a thin polyester long sleeve shirt, and the winter coat that has a fleece inner layer. Few days ago I ordered some bibs from cabelas that have 150gram insulation and Dry-Plus, a hooded jacket with 100gram insulation, and a microfleece balaclava that is supposed to block the wind. All I need now is a hand warmer that hangs from the hip like football players have and I should be ready. Hope to test it all out when I get over my flu and do some post-school pre-christmas bowhunting.

The word "cotton" appears WAY too many times in that paragraph.  Replace "cotton" with "wool" and you'll be at least 50% warmer when you're dry and 1000X warmer when you're wet.

The hand warmers are God's gift to football players and hunters!  I think mine came from Cabela's.  My in-laws gave it to me for Christmas a few years ago.  Man, I have great in-laws.

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
I love the hand warmers.  I actually just got the cheap camo one from wal-mart and it allows me to wear my light archery gloves nearly year round in my tree stand.  I always bring my heavy ones along but really like to just wear light gloves. Highly recommend a hand warmer.

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 03:36:05 PM »
I didn't go this year.  Got laid off last year and couldn't really justify the license, permits, and all that.  Never really did any hunting specifically for deer, but I ran across so many while pheasant/quail hunting, that I finally decided I should get the permit just in case I had the opportunity.  I don't know of any private land to hunt, so I stick to the state parks and WMAs.  What are you going to do?  Still, I usually find something to shoot at.  Two years ago was the first time I got a permit for deer since I was kid.  Hunting behind the damn at Branched Oak for pheasants and quail during the deer season, I was carrying my S&W 500 8-3/8" barrel wheel gun just in case.  Wouldn't you know it, I see my three chocolate labs suddenly dart to the far side of a plumb thicket, headed toward the dam, and I get a brief glimps of a deer running ahead of them.  I knew the deer was either going to break to the right and cross the creek, or it would break left where the cover ended and cross an opening directly ahead of me.  I put my shotgun down against a tree, pulled my revolver, and basically started running to reduce the distance should the deer break left and give me a broadside shot.  With the dam as a backstop, I was ready when the deer cut across the 15-yd. wide opening in the brush.  Couldn't have asked for a better opportunity, unless maybe the 50-75 yard distance had been a little less.  Boom!  My ears were ringing (forgot my earplugs), and the deer was still running.  I looked to my left, and there was another small opening in the brush, so I prepared for another shot (even though it was a bit longer and I was afraid I'd never hear another thing).  Boom!  More ringing.  No deer.  Went and looked for signs of blood, but nothing.

I fully realize that to have a good chance of bagging a deer, it requires a lot of preparation (scouting, getting permission for a good place to hunt, tree stands or blinds, and all that).  I'm more of an opportunist, but that opportunity was worth the cost of the permit, even though I didn't bag the deer.  The year before, I had a much better shot at a beautiful buck, in a nearby area at Branched Oak, but I didn't have a permit.  I was again hunting pheasants when some deer hunters spooked the deer from across the road, and he trotted broadside to me about 35 yards away with no interfering cover.  Damn!

I didn't hunt at all this year due to my layoff, but I'm thinking about getting my habitat stamp and park permit so I can do what's left of the season and be ready for next fall.

By the way, I also ran across turkeys out there when I didn't have a permit.  The next year I got the permit and didn't see a one.  :(
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 04:25:44 PM »
Thats usually how it goes, go deer hunting to see only turkeys.  Go turkey hunting and see deer all over the place.  Been there many times!

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 11:24:31 AM »
Buying permit, Ammo, Gas is an awful expensive way to lose a few pounds.  but oh well, 'Tex' got to get out for some fresh air.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 01:12:51 PM »
Boom!  My ears were ringing (forgot my earplugs), and the deer was still running.  I looked to my left, and there was another small opening in the brush, so I prepared for another shot (even though it was a bit longer and I was afraid I'd never hear another thing).  Boom!  More ringing. 

I started wearing electronic earmuffs this past year during deer season.  They're awesome for hunting - they amplify all the squirrels running around within 50 yards so that you think the woods are FULL of deer.

If the Bureau of Aggravation, Trepidation, and Frustration ever approves my stamps I'll be hunting silent this fall.

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 01:34:08 PM »
I don't know if hearing all the squirrels within 50 yards would be a good idea for me.  I'd be tempted to plug 'em with my S&W500, and then I'd need magnifying glass to find the pieces!  :)
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 01:37:50 PM »
well i didn't hunt any deer this year, but while trapping a few days ago, i did learn this.... keep your pockets closed!  if it has a button on it, close it!  i dumped a box of 48 rounds of 22LR in the creek while setting a beaver trap.... i never did get those beavers, but they ruined my set every night.  good thing i had taken care of the raccoons before loosing my ammo.  live and learn.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 06:16:40 PM »
I'm imagining Robert having to take down an angry beaver with just his teeth and bare hands.  And it's hilarious.