< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: LB430 UPDATE 5/13/09: LB430 Passes 45-3; thank the Senators  (Read 24599 times)

Offline WarHorse1961

• Powder Benefactor
Re: LB430 UPDATE 5/13/09: LB430 Passes 45-3; thank the Senators
« Reply #260 on: June 07, 2009, 03:08:45 PM »
First off, welcome to the NFOA!

Seeing as how you listed that you're in Bellevue, I think the consensus is that before September, if you plan on carrying the Walther in Omaha, you need to register it. After September you don't need to. If you lived in Omaha, you'd have to register it regardless.

The criteria for reciprocity is the same as Nebraska's requirement. Class and qualification.

Sorry, I haven't done the research to find out what other States have those requirements, anybody?

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #261 on: June 11, 2009, 11:04:53 AM »
The criteria for reciprocity is the same as Nebraska's requirement. Class and qualification.

Sorry, I haven't done the research to find out what other States have those requirements, anybody?

Does NE require qualification scoring?  I though it was just certificate of training, vision, and printing/background check?  Colorado requires a certificate of training class (or proof of military/LEO service) and printing/background check.  So, if there isn't a qualification score required in NE, then NE will honor the CO permit and by CO laws (CO honors any state's CCW - you must be a resident of the same state as your permit - that honors CO CCW) NE permits would then also be valid in CO. 

You can conveniently check each state's CCW requirements at CarryConcealed.net

Zombie
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #262 on: June 11, 2009, 02:35:13 PM »
To get the training certificate issued by a state-licensed instructor you must shoot a qualifier. 30-ish rounds. Short ranges.  You must show you can draw safely from concealment, handle your firearm without blowing a toe off, and not point it at your instructor.  
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 02:36:56 PM by Jesse T »
N0ZXR

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #263 on: June 11, 2009, 03:26:12 PM »
Roger that.  I misread it to be a quantitative qual (scoriing X pts from X distance) vs a qualitative qual of skills proficiency.  Good to know; thanks! 
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline AFVet1982

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #264 on: August 23, 2009, 03:21:33 PM »
First, a belated thanks to those who replied, I appreciate the advice.  I haven't seen any announcements or postings regarding the states to which Nebraska would grant reciprocity, if anyone has a link or other source, it's appreciated.  On a related topic, I don't know if there has been any movement on the Castle Doctrine research that had a funding request (by the same legislator who got LB 430 through, I believe).  I'm trying to track this through my state senator (Abbie Cornett) and am awaiting her reply to an email.  I'll pass along any useful info I can get back.
/ / / /  pkv  / / / /

"There are three types of people in the world:  those who learn from the mistakes of others, those who learn from their own mistakes, and those who feel compelled to urinate on the electric fence."  --  Unknown

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #265 on: August 23, 2009, 07:42:38 PM »
The Attorney Generals Office is working on the list of states. I checked with them this weekend and Mr Bruning says they are working hard to get that list established when the law takes effect

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #266 on: August 23, 2009, 08:51:12 PM »
Senator Christensen (who introduced LB430) was the one who also introduced LR191, which would have initiated a study by the judiciary committee into the current laws in NE, and laws in other states, regarding the use of force to defned oneself.  They would then provide their findings and recommendations to the rest of the legislature.  Unfortunately, I don't believe the resolution made it to a vote this session, so no study will be made unless it is brought up again next session.  Another alternative to having a study would be to simply introduce legislation that would create a "castle law" in Nebraska. We, NFOA, need to pursue this with great vigor.  Personally, I'd rather skip the study, if we can find someone to introduce a well-written bill that will provide protection for citizens who choose to use force to defend themselves or their property.  The home page of NFOA has a poll asking what we think is the biggest priority for us in the coming year, and so far, a castle law seems to be our choice.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.