< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: LB430 UPDATE 5/13/09: LB430 Passes 45-3; thank the Senators  (Read 24600 times)

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
LB430 UPDATE 5/13/09: LB430 Passes 45-3; thank the Senators
« on: January 27, 2009, 10:27:20 PM »
Folks, here is a direct request from Senator Christensen to voice support for LB430 to all members of the Judiciary Committee to get it out of Committee and onto the Senate Floor for debate/vote...otherwise it is dead in the water without getting out of Committee:

My e-mail:

• Dear Senator Christensen,

I want to thank you for your introduction of LB430.  My prayers are that the bill will make it out of the Judiciary Committee to have a full consideration from the other Senators.

If there is anything that I or my peers and friends can do to help support LB 430 so that it can proceed from the Judiciary Committee, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you again.

Regards,

XXXXXXXXXX

His response:

• Dear XXXXXXXX,

Thank you for your support and I would encourage you to voice your support to the remaining committee members to hear the bill and vote it out of committee and onto the floor for debate.

Sincerely,
    Senator Mark R. Christensen

I know that some of us have written to the Senators on the Judiciary Committee, and some of us have written to Senators not on the Judiciary Committee.  At this point, Senator Christensen is asking for the Senators on the Judiciary Committee to HEAR from pro-LB430 folks!!!!

Senators on the Judiciary Committee are the following:
     Ashford (chair)...............................[bashford@leg.ne.gov]
     Lathrop (vice-chair)........................[slathrop@leg.ne.gov]
     Christensen (author of LB430)...........[mchristensen@leg.ne.gov]
     Coash...........................................[ccoash@leg.ne.gov]
     Council..........................................[bcouncil@leg.ne.gov]
     Lautenbaugh..................................[slautenbaugh@leg.ne.gov]
     McGill............................................[amcgill@leg.ne.gov]
     Rogert..........................................[krogert@leg.ne.gov]

Edited by Randy LB430 not scheduled for 4.22.09
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 09:18:55 PM by Aldo »
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: LB430 action needed: contact Judiciary Committee
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 11:04:01 PM »
Hammer Time
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline WarHorse1961

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 04:36:50 AM »
Contacted. Took a whole 10 minutes.  :o

This is the first step folks. It MUST make it out of committee before it even has a chance to pass.

I've done my part, how about you?

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 09:25:03 PM »
Done. 
I did my part. Thanks Aldo for posting this.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline lefty

• Powder Benefactor
  • KC0DA, NRA, USAF 57-61
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 09:51:57 PM »
Mine are done!  They've been sent.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 10:00:05 PM »
Be prepared to send  mail more than once, and again right before the hearing takes place.

Back up your words with a written letter for the file if you have the time
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Aldo

• NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 09:36:17 AM »
I'm waiting upon a return response from Senator Christensen re the date/time of the Judiciary Committee's hearing of LB430....and will keep ya'll posted.

In the meantime, the NE legislature website posts each committee's agendas and upcoming LB hearings.  So far, through January 30, the Judiciary Committee does not have LB430 listed yet.

Soooooo, there's still time for contacting that committee's senators.  I concur with the others who have advocated both e-mail and written snail mail.

Important to contact all committee members; jury still out on Rogert, Coash, McGill, and Lathrop.  Getting LB430 out of committee and onto the floor of the whole senate could very well hinge on how those four vote in committee...since Ashford and Council will go anti- and Cristensen and Lautenburgh will go pro-.  Probably wouldn't hurt to contact any other non-committee senators who are definitely pro-gun so that maybe they can nudge the Judiciary Committee senators to get the debate out onto the floor so that ALL of the state's senators can speak for the people.
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

tonopah

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 10:46:22 AM »
I called all of the judiciary Senators offices this morning. Positive feedback from Senator Lautenbaughs office. His assistant said the Senator fully supported LB430. All the rest said they would pass my request along.

Offline Aldo

• NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 10:37:11 PM »
I have finally heard back from my district's senator (McGill) who sits on the Judiciary Committee.

My e-mail to her:

• Senator McGill,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my earlier e-mail.

Now that Senator Christiansen has introduced LB430, and you are on the Judiciary Committee, what is your opinion about the proposed legislation?  Have you been hearing from others in District 26 about this issue?

Also, would you keep me abreast of when the public hearing is scheduled?

Regards,

XXXXXXXXXXXX

Her response today to me:

• I will have my staff make a note of your request and inform you when the hearing has been set.  You can always check out the upcoming agenda?s on the Nebraskalegislature.gov as the hearings are set one week in advance. 

I will be honest with you that I am not generally in favor of conceal-carry, but I am not adamantly opposed either.  I certainly think that anyone with a legal permit should be allowed to drive through the cities that do not allow conceal-carry without having to jump through extra hoops like locking their guns in their trunk.  I look forward to the public hearing and listening to both sides of this issue. 

Amanda McGill
    District 26
    402-471-2610

So, I am still not sure how to completely interpret her position.  But it seems that at least she will listen and perhaps even consider allowing LB430 to get out of committee to the larger audience of the senate floor.  ???
www.everreadyccw.com

Offline Dtrain323i

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 05:35:25 PM »
In addition to emailing the members of the Judiciary Committee, we should also email the members of the rules committee. Every session in Illinois, a Concealed Carry bill is introduced. It makes it to it's 3rd reading before the legislature then gets shuffled to the rules comittee where it dies. I would hate to see that happen here.

Offline Aldo

• NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 07:30:02 PM »
In addition to emailing the members of the Judiciary Committee, we should also email the members of the rules committee. Every session in Illinois, a Concealed Carry bill is introduced. It makes it to it's 3rd reading before the legislature then gets shuffled to the rules comittee where it dies. I would hate to see that happen here.
It's my understanding that here in NE, once the reading is approved by the Judiciary Committee, then it gets out to the overall senate floor.  My only experience was years ago with a health bill, and that was to be the scenario.  Also, my communication from Senator Christensen on the Judiciary Committee was that approval would get the bill out there. But, hey, what do I know? I'm certainly not an attorney or expert on this unicameral stuff.
www.everreadyccw.com

Offline Aldo

• NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 10:35:39 PM »
Well, Senator Tom White sent a response:

• Dear YYYYYYYY,

Thank you for contacting me regarding preemption legislation .  I own three guns and am a supporter of the 2nd Amendment.  In general, I support eliminating provisions that create confusing patchworks of laws.
    This appears to be the case with current laws regarding concealed carry of firearms.

I do not serve on the Judiciary Committee, which has jurisdiction over LB 430, the bill concerning this issue.  However, I will monitor this bill closely and look forward to reading the version that advances from committee.

Thank you again for your message, and please don't hesitate to contact me again if I can be of assistance.

Best,

Tom

I'd like to believe that he is sincere in making public his position on LB430.
www.everreadyccw.com

Offline iiranger

• Forum Member
Unicameral Update. Re:contact Judiciary Committee
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 12:55:08 PM »
#1). There is a magazine put out by the legislature called Unicameral Update. It is free for the asking. Clerk of Legislature's office. Terribly brief and mailed 2nd class so it usually arrives a day or two AFTER the hearings have been held. Watching the newspapers is slightly more effective. And if you are on good terms with a senator, contributed to the campaign and that can be time more than money, they will keep you posted, especially if you represent a "group..." (or claim to). Now if the group has "hammerred someone" on something in the past, even better. Where's the NRA? Good question?
#2). "...hammer? time..." Tack hammer maybe... We need to build a sledge hammer.
#3). This is when letters to the editor need to flow. In a small state like ours a letter found by a staffer and mentioned to a senator is counted as representing maybe 100 votes, maybe 150.

Hatchet1961

Time for a Different Approach
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 01:42:42 AM »
Have a connection with one of Ashford's annual fundraiser sponsor's a money man in Omaha.
His brothers is a good friend of mine and PRO Firearms.
This Omaha person also enjoys Hunting and Shooting, hopefully no Elmer Fudd.
Was told that he carries.
Believe that I will make a phone call and see if he will talk to his brother about LB 430.

Sure can not hurt.

Offline Aldo

• NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 09:40:15 PM »
Believe that I will make a phone call and see if he will talk to his brother about LB 430.

Sure can not hurt.

Thanks, Hatchet1961.  Keep us posted on what you find out.
www.everreadyccw.com

Offline Aldo

• NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 03:19:44 PM »
Just checked the upcoming agenda of the legislature's Judiciary Committee, and so far LB430 is not slated through Friday, February 27.

We still have March, April, and May...and 1st week of June before this legislative session ends. If you haven't written yet to the Senators on the Judiciary Committee, there's still time to do so.  It will help keep the issue on the stove, so to speak.

However, slated for Friday, February 20th are the following legislative bills (first two appear related to "firearms", don't know about the third):

• Judiciary
    Room 1113 - 1:30 p.m.

LB35 Ashford: Adopt the Violence Prevention Act, prohibit certain gang activity, and change certain
    firearm provisions
    LB63 Friend: Change provisions relating to assault, firearms, graffiti, gang affiliation, juveniles, and
    jailhouse informers
    LB508:  Pirsch Prohibit certain gang-related initiations
www.everreadyccw.com

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2009, 03:51:54 PM »
Thanks aldo... we have updated the front page legislative updates as well as the forum legislative updates pages with this info already.
N0ZXR

Offline Aldo

• NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2009, 10:07:38 AM »
Thanks aldo... we have updated the front page legislative updates as well as the forum legislative updates pages with this info already.

Woops!  Sorry, Jesse T.  My bad.  I always go straight to the forums. Probably doesn't hurt to double-inform folks.  Again, I apologize for the duplication.
www.everreadyccw.com

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 11:51:46 AM »
No problem aldo thats what its here for.  Just wanted to let you know we are on top of things too :)
N0ZXR

Offline Aldo

• NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 11:37:18 PM »
 ;D :D ;D  IT'S GONNA HAPPEN  ;D :D ;D

A poster on my LB430 thread on ccwne forum received notice back from Sen Ashford that LB430 is slated for hearing at the Judiciary Committee on March 26.

NFOA BOARD: Do y'all have a plan of who all is going and who will say what, etc?

MEMBERS: If ya haven't written those committee folks yet, soon would be a good time to do so.

This is cool! It will finally make the table for discussion.  8)
www.everreadyccw.com