< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: LB430 UPDATE 5/13/09: LB430 Passes 45-3; thank the Senators  (Read 24600 times)

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
Re: LB430 action needed: contact Judiciary Committee
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2009, 10:47:29 PM »
In actuality it is not a pod cast but a Live Flash Stream from NE Educational Television.
Here is the web site http://www.netnebraska.org/publicmedia/capitol.html

Finger tapping was a nervous proponent who did a great job speaking.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2009, 08:28:06 AM »
Thanks to everybody who came, was great to see a room full of proponents and 3 opponents. 
N0ZXR

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2009, 08:48:37 AM »
The lack of information on this subject is disturbing.  As an important issue as this is to all of this on the forum, someone that went should be posting their impressions of the senators, questions asked, etc..  An organization such as this one only grows and becomes powerful if it provides the information to its members in a timely manner, sorry rant mode off...

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2009, 08:59:55 AM »
The way I saw it:

How do I think we did?

Council- She did not even stay in the room to hear testimony by the Pro- side.

Ashford- Like last time, he tried to turn "patchwork" concerns into a transportation issue. He does not like guns, feigns ignorance on the issues at hand and is unwilling to enlighten himself. Willful ignorance = stupidity. RINO.

Latthrop- Lathrop asked decidedly slanted questions of witnesses..... wanting to know how often instructors and CHP holders had to "qualify" ..... seemed to subscribe to the "Only Ones" mindset that Cops were the only ones proffessional enough to use a gun to defend themselves or others.... seemed horrified that "an untrained permit holder" might have anything other than a hymnal to defend himself and his family "in a church with 1,500 people in it". I don't go to such a church. I'm just supposed to think happy thoughts and hope the deranged gunman runs out of bullets before he gets to me and mine? My church usually has 50 souls on an average Sunday....... and why is it that I can defend myself in Church in Colby, but not in Kearny? If this bill passes, I can leave my gun in its holster at Mass in Castle Rock, but must leave it out in the parking lot in Columbus? Why is that?

Coash- Did not say much while I was there....... supposed to be on our side.

Rogert- ? I don't know..... he asked a couple of questions of the "pro" witnesses.

McGill- Looked bored and played with her hair most of the time....... she does not like boomsticks. I have the distinct feeling she would think call them "Icky".

I used the time taken up by the first two bills to drop a note in support of lb430 at Pankonin's office and talk w/ Sen. Ken Schilz about it. He's definitely on our side: One of our "No Guns = No $" cards was on his bulletin board, under a great big GFZ- Criminals Welcome sign ........

I had to leave at 5, so I did not hear the "Against" Witnesses- Marty Conboy (surprise, surprise, surprise.) Chief Cassidy (duh), and some woman from the League of Municipalities.

How's that?

« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 09:01:06 AM by JimP »
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2009, 09:17:06 AM »
The lack of information on this subject is disturbing.  As an important issue as this is to all of this on the forum, someone that went should be posting their impressions of the senators, questions asked, etc..  An organization such as this one only grows and becomes powerful if it provides the information to its members in a timely manner, sorry rant mode off...

Sorry, I took the day off work yesterday so that I could drive to Lincoln and sit through the whole afternoon of testimonies, and testify myself. The hearing did not get over until 5:30 pm. By the time I drove back home, met my wife for dinner, and got back to the house it was late and I did not feel like typing. I had to get up and be at work early in the morning this morning and now I am faced with the work I missed yesterday and don't even really have time to be typing this.

I apologize for having a job, but I will post my views tonight after work. I'm sorry that the next night after the event is the earliest that I can post something.

Offline PhilK

• NFOA Full Member
  • xxx
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2009, 09:53:03 AM »
Thank you to everyone from NFOA and the public in general who made the effort to travel to Lincoln and express their opinions on LB430.

I listened and watched the hearing as best I could from work.  Great job!  The only one I thought that was a bit confused was the guy who didn't know that Elkhorn had been annexed by Omaha.  He was obviously not one of NFOA's guys.

The gentlemen from the military stationed at Offutt put a reasoned and responsible face on CHP holders and I thank them for their testimony.  Hopefully someone got some NFOA information in their hands.    :)

The frightening thing was that, by appearances and questions, many of the members of the Judiciary Committee had little knowledge of the very subject that they are responsible for legislating. 

Offline ranger04

• Valued Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2009, 11:04:01 AM »
Philk, I had the same impression with the members of the judicary. Overall, I thought it went very well. It was great to see such a good turn out . I believe that I counted like 47 proponets and 3 against. I beleive that the bill will progress to the floor. It even seemed like Ashford was interested in some of the mucked up rules. Council spent most of the time in the powder room, I think guns gets her irregular. Again it was good to see such a good turn out and meet some fellow members of the NFOA. The little get togather with Christensen out in the hall after the hearing kind of boosted my hopefulness on this bill. Next step is to put as many gun owners on the steps of the capitol as possible when this goes to the floor.

Offline minnowmaker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2009, 11:41:36 AM »
Thanks for the reports.  I am in "Greater Ne." and appreciate all that you guys do who are closer to Lincoln.  If I can ever be of help, please let me know how.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2009, 12:46:11 PM »

Sorry, I took the day off work yesterday so that I could drive to Lincoln and sit through the whole afternoon of testimonies, and testify myself. The hearing did not get over until 5:30 pm. By the time I drove back home, met my wife for dinner, and got back to the house it was late and I did not feel like typing. I had to get up and be at work early in the morning this morning and now I am faced with the work I missed yesterday and don't even really have time to be typing this.

I apologize for having a job, but I will post my views tonight after work. I'm sorry that the next night after the event is the earliest that I can post something.

Same here. 

The members that were in attendance yesterday did so because we were able to take all or part of the day off from our jobs, drive to Lincoln, and sit through the hearings for 4 other bills in order to participate in the hearing for LB430 which did not start until 4pm. You may want to remember, we are volunteering our time for NFOA and are not paid in any way.  The only reason I was even able to make it yesterday is because my Mother, who is on medical leave from work with a breathing condition, was able to sit at my house all day with my daughter who had a 102* fever.  She knew that attending the hearing was important to me, so she drove the 20 miles to my house at 7am yesterday morning so that I could attend.  After getting home from Lincoln around 6:30 pm, helping my other 2 kids with their homework, eating some dinner, getting my kids in the shower, folding 2 loads of laundry, and putting them in bed...I was ready to sit down and relax for about 20 minutes before I got ready for bed.  I'm very sorry that taking care of my family was my priority when I got home, and my lack of "providing the information to its members in a timely manner" has "disturbed" you.

I guess that I just need to try harder.

EDIT: Thanks to Jim(who had his very well behaved daughter with him at the hearing ;) ) for posting his summary of the hearing. Well done, and I concur with all of it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 12:52:58 PM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2009, 02:38:23 PM »
Am I seeing this correctly, did Sen. Fulton just make LB 430 his priority bill????????

Sen Christensen seemed to elude to something like this after the hearing last night...

I don't have time to investigate further right now (can't afford to get fired!) but this looks like great news!

Offline PhilK

• NFOA Full Member
  • xxx
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2009, 02:52:29 PM »
confirmed: http://www.unicam.state.ne.us/bills/view_bill.php?DocumentID=6960

Fulton makes LB430 his priority bill.

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2009, 02:58:06 PM »
ZOMG!!!!! Somebody buy that man a beer! I always knew fulton was good on guns but did not expect that at all.
N0ZXR

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2009, 03:19:08 PM »
Was was the impression from Sen. Amanda McGill.

Was she present and did she ask any question?
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2009, 03:25:04 PM »
It is not perfect, but it is way better than we have......

I had a thought while driving this AM:  Have anyone noticed that the CHP Law prohibits carry pretty much anywhere ideas are shared (except for the intarwebz!)?  No Church Carry, no CCW in bars, no pocket pistols at political rallies, courthouses, libraries ....... it occurs to me that folk that  take it upon themselves to provide for their own security are kinda socially marginalized by the very law we struggled to get passed!
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2009, 03:31:07 PM »
Sen. McGill was present, she did not say much at all.  In my personal opinion, her body language was poor, she spent the entire hearing twirling her hair and slouching in her chair, and I got the feeling she may as well have been rolling her eyes.  I know this is not indicative of how she will vote or anything. It is just my personal feeling/observation.

At least she is a step above Sen. Council, who left the room for probably 90% of the proponent cases.

I also notice that LB35 and LB63 were picked up as priority bills by The judiciary committee and Ashford, respectively...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 03:33:51 PM by Jesse T »
N0ZXR

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2009, 03:41:33 PM »

"EDIT: Thanks to Jim(who had his very well behaved daughter with him at the hearing ;) ) for posting his summary of the hearing. Well done, and I concur with all of it. "

She was an Angel, compared to her behavior at her sister's Spring Concert..... we nearly had a major problem, when we got to the top of the Capitol Building (burning off some lunch energy!) she announced she had to "go potty real bad" .....  ever try to find a bathroom when you really need on in an unfamiliar building?

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2009, 03:46:03 PM »
I sent Sen Fulton a quick email to thank him for selecting this as his priority bill. Also asked if he would explain to me the basics of what priority bill guarantees.  Here is his reply:

"Jesse,

Thanks for the email. The Speaker has the ability to schedule or not
schedule bills for debate. Any bill with a priority designation is
guaranteed Floor debate assuming it makes it out of committee. When I
prioritized LB430 it was to allow it see the light of public debate.
Hopefully it means it will become law.

Have a good week and weekend!
tony

Senator Tony Fulton
Nebraska Legislature, District 29 (Lincoln)
Office 2107
402-471-2734"

I am so Glad he's my senator!
N0ZXR

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2009, 05:16:07 PM »
Ok, Let's get along. LOL. This group is just getting started so I think we can give those that went to the hearing a little bit of a break.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2009, 05:16:25 PM »
First of all....many, many THANKS to all of you who attended the LB430 hearing and for those who were able to testify!!  That is great news that y'all were able to sacrifice your time away from family and work to do what you did.  I was not able to do so and wasn't able to follow on the live podcast, but my heart and prayers were with y'all.  Greatly appreciated from the depths of my heart. :) :) :) :)

Second, I was able to locate a definition of "priority bill" on the NE Legislature website in their section called "Glossary of Terms"....http://www.nebraskalegislature.gov/about/glossary.php

• Priority Bill - a bill that has priority status and generally is considered ahead of other bills in debate. Each senator may select one priority bill, each committee may select two priority bills, and the speaker may select up to 25 priority bills.

Sen Fulton certainly did a huge favor of support by using up his one "chip", so to speak, in making LB430 a "priority bill".  I'm sure he wouldn't mind a thankful e-mail as JesseT did!!

And Sen Fulton is not even on the Judiciary Committee!!  I don't know if that committee has any other priority bills, but if it does have more than two, I hope that the committee selects LB430 as one of their "two chips".  And then, it seems that it is up to the Speaker to pick up to 25 of those.

Hey, every little bit helps........it all started with Sen Christensen introducing the bill, then a whole bunch of communications to the Senators from supporters, then what appears to me to have been a great showing and testifying by supporters yesterday, and now with the priority bill status by Sen Fulton.

Woo-hoooo!! :) :) :) :) :)
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline WarHorse1961

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2009, 06:28:53 PM »
I thought it was interesting when Chris was speaking, he said something similar to "Everyone was concerned that blood would run in the streets. But that hasn't happened yet." As soon as I heard the word yet, I went "Ooh!" and happened to be looking right at Chief Cassady. Sure enough, he mouthed the word too. There ya go Chief, instead of concentrating on the "it hasn't happened" part, you focus on the "yet" part. Let's see, it's been 3 years. How much longer before the "yet" part doesn't matter?

I almost jumped up when Senator Ashford said "I think what they're saying is that they're law-abiding citizens, and they don't want to break the law." BINGO! I'm not sure it really matters to him, but it was nice to see that he "gets" it.

I had to leave almost immediately after the hearing. I was able to introduce myself to Chris. It was a little awkward in that a lot was happening right after the hearing. It was nice to finally put a face to a name though.

Chris, was that Senator Lathrop who asked about attending one of your classes?