< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Cabelas Black Friday Ad  (Read 1248 times)

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
Cabelas Black Friday Ad
« on: November 24, 2011, 12:17:07 AM »
Have you seen this year's BF ad for Cabelas? Out here it has a Bushy with a red-dot sight on top for $599. I'm brand new to the AR thing but just want one for varmint shooting and plinking. Can anyone tell me if this would be a decent rifle for that? I'm really not looking to modify it or drop a bunch of cash into it later. I just want a reliable, pretty accurate rifle for prairie dogs and coyotes.
That which does not kill us was not trained properly.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Cabelas Black Friday Ad
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 08:08:42 AM »
It's a pretty good buy for an AR, at least at today's inflated AR prices.  Bushmaster has a good product (TX DPS trusts it).  Note it does not have front or rear sites.

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 08:12:41 AM »
It's a pretty good buy for an AR, at least at today's inflated AR prices.  Bushmaster has a good product (TX DPS trusts it).  Note it does not have front or rear sites.

I saw that, but with the red-dot, wouldn't that be pretty decent? I would also put a 3x9 or something similar on it - just a reasonably priced, reasonably accurate gun for prairie dogs and coyotes and the like.

Here's a clip from the ad, for those who may not have seen it -

Offline Bigtony

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 08:18:17 AM »
If I remember right from last year the bushmaster has a carbon lower.  Something that's a big deal to some but not to others.

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 08:27:38 AM »
If I remember right from last year the bushmaster has a carbon lower.  Something that's a big deal to some but not to others.

Yes it does. In fact, I think that's part of the name. Like a carbon 16 or something. Is there a particular reason that the carbon lower is undesirable?

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 09:12:51 AM »
Yes it does. In fact, I think that's part of the name. Like a carbon 16 or something. Is there a particular reason that the carbon lower is undesirable?

Don't know about the carbon lower, and my Bushmaster is from before they made those---but about Bushmaster in general, I love mine.  It feeds everything (EVERYTHING!), runs all the time (even back when I only cleaned it every 5000 rounds), and is more accurate than I am (note:  that isn't hard).

I use mine for shots from 5 yards out to 300.  No, it isn't a precision rifle or anything for those who will shoot it at 600+ yards (maybe it could be? never tried) -- but for that 0-300 range, it is spot-on.  I used to shoot irons, had a 4x on it for awhile, now I've got a TAC30 1-4x illuminated on it, and I love it.  Use it in Multigun, among other things.    (I have their Shorty AK version.)

Only thing I ever had to do to it was put anti-walk pins in the trigger assembly. 

Bushmaster makes good guns.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 08:13:20 PM »
Well, my boy and I are going for it. We're gonna try to get to Cabela's in Sidney. I have no idea what to expect though. Have any of you gone to Cabela's for Black Friday? If so, what was it like? Is there really that huge of a line? Store opens at 5am, what time should we be there? Any input?