< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Flashlights?  (Read 1910 times)

Offline Hermit

• NFOA Full Member
Flashlights?
« on: November 26, 2011, 01:30:22 PM »
I'm asking for a flashlight for Christmas, but I am not having any luck narrowing down all the choices into something that I feel comfortable asking for (price-wise) but that would be a good flashlight to have for emergencies and general use around the house (spotting critters in the backyard at night, potential use if someone tries to break in, power outages, stuff like that).  I know that brightness is good, and that simple controls are good, but there are SO many choices that I'm just floundering about on the internet with nothing to show for it.  So, I would appreciate any recommendations or info that anyone can share with me.  Thanks!

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Flashlights?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 05:40:56 PM »
The brands I have the most personal experience with are Surefire and Streamlight. I carry both in my turnout gear and they get used regularly in some pretty harsh conditions.

As I'm sure you already know Surefire makes an excellent product but are quite expensive. I have used their incandescent and LED handhelds. They both worked well but when used frequently I was going through batteries pretty fast with the incandescent. After switching to an LED (U2 Ultra) I have spent way less in batteries. LEDs are definitely worth it in my opinion if you are concerned with battery life. It is my backup light for fire use and my primary for med runs.

The Streamlight I have is also an LED (Survivor Model), is very bright, uses AA batteries and has been very reliable as my primary light for use at fire scenes. And its was only $50. For the money Streamlight makes a very good light. http://www.streamlight.com/default.aspx

The only downside I have found with the LEDs is that you get very little warning that the batteries are getting low. With an incandescent it will just get dimmer and dimmer, the LEDs just seem to quit.

- Shawn

"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline gibbs459

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 07:45:27 PM »
Streamlight or Fenix lights are the best bang for the buck IMO. I use Streamlight's daily at work. The Stinger and Strion LED models are darn near bullet proof and they are rechargeable. I have ran both of these lights over with cars and pickups. Dropped them on concrete from 6ft in the air. And have them on a carbine and 45acp handgun. They work great! We even had a Stinger get hit by a car traveling at 70mph, kicking it off a 100ft drop 2 years ago. Still used daily in the tow truck.

Have friends who swore by the Fenix brand lights. I have no first hand use. But they feel the same quality as Streamlight. The price is reasonable on them.

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 11:06:47 PM »
I've been carrying a Fenix PD30 for a year and a half now. Great led flashlight. They have improved them a couple times since then. I use mine daily, batteries last a long time on low setting. Price is very reasonable. I will buy another when this one wears out or is lost.
I've had more expensive lights, but this is my favorite. Price was $60.
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 07:54:29 AM »
I have a variety of flashlights and I'm most impressed with the Streamlight Polytac LED.  They're under $40.00 and worth every penny.

Offline jshan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 04:49:15 PM »
i have 2 of the fenix LD20 flashlights (amazon for $50) and i love them. super bright, adjustable, good battery usage (2 AA's) and small enough to fit in any pocket.

http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-LD20-180-Lumen-Flashlight/dp/B004CXNY3G/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1M823LKK21CYX&colid=3RGG8PHD8OE8C

Offline Hermit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 12:20:26 PM »
Thank you all!  That is /exactly/ the type of information I was looking for!