< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Baking bullets?  (Read 2267 times)

Offline gibbs459

• NFOA Full Member
Baking bullets?
« on: November 28, 2011, 06:29:50 PM »
Has anyone tried the KG Systems Bullet Kote? I am thinking about using it on my cast pistol bullets. I have seen several companies selling black bullets. This looks like the same stuff.
Kind of reminds me of powder coating. It should produce a hard moly coating on the bullet.

Offline gibbs459

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Baking bullets?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 06:02:18 PM »
nobody?..................hmmmm.............

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 07:09:29 PM »
The only thought I had was your better not eat outta that oven afterwards
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 09:07:47 PM »
I cast for my big bore rifles like 45-70 but I've never gotten into casting pistol bullets.  With my Graf's dealer account I can buy cast pistol bullets so cheap it's not worth my time to do it myself.  The leading is kind of a pain though, so I've been thinking about switching to Berry's plated bullets.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 10:23:46 PM »
I load a lot of Rainier plated, virtually the same as Berry's or Xtreme plated, but they cost a lot more than cast
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline gibbs459

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 12:21:51 PM »
The only thought I had was your better not eat outta that oven afterwards

Maybe that is where this weird twitch came from..;-)

I am thinking a toaster oven. I just need 300F for 1 hr.

With a good supply of WWeight lead, I cast all of my pistol bullets. Its relaxing! Or maybe its just the lead poisoning. But after a nasty day casting takes the edge off. Well that and a tall whiskey. They shoot great but I don't like the mess of the tumble lube I have been using.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 12:27:19 PM by gibbs459 »

Offline gibbs459

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 10:30:07 PM »
Results! Good!

I picked up a toaster oven on sale for $30, 1 quart of the KG Molly Gear Kote, and a Preval sprayer.

I coated 300 45acp bullets. Got them loaded up and fired. Absolutely no leading in the barrel! Going to put another 300-400 through it before cleaning. It looks that good! Now on too 9mm and 357mag!

This stuff is easy too apply. But it does smoke like a beast once the oven hits 300F for about 10 min. So make sure you have good ventilation.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 10:21:07 AM »
Sounds like a winner.  If the cast bullets i buy didnt have lube already on them i would consider trying this.