< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Marlin Model 36  (Read 2971 times)

Offline Rule#.308

• NFOA Full Member
Marlin Model 36
« on: January 28, 2009, 10:11:21 AM »
I recently purchased a nice little Marlin Model 36 (not 336) caliber 30-30 and I am having trouble finding info on the rifle.  As I understand it these rifles were made between 1935 and 1948 with production suspended during WW II.  On top of the barrel it says Model 36 rc ---------A.
The serial number begins with either a C or G 10144.  The rifle has been reblued nicely but some dolt stained the stock and forend green, which I have stripped back down and applied a new clear finish.  When they were stripping the wood, they also were a bit aggressive with the sanding as the tang is no longer flush with the stock but it still is very shootable and handles nicely.
My questions are; is the model 36 an offshoot or improvement of the 1894, a precurser to the 336 or both.  I know the 36 has a square bolt and the 336 has a round bolt.  Are there other differences? 
Lastly, my rifle has a full barrel band at the forend which seems odd to me since it covers the stamping of the model number and so on.  Is a full band the norm or did it originally have a half band?  I would appreciate any info anyone has.

Rule#.308
Don't pick a fight with an old man.  If he's to old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Offline 3oh8mx

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Marlin Model 36
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 02:53:11 PM »

Sounds like a sweet rifle. Post a pic!
Wish I knew more about the older Marlins, you might try the Marlin Owners forum as they are very knowledgeable. You can even post your serial # over there and get the exact date of manufacture.

I have a 308MX which is a 336 re chambered for the new caliber. I need to post a pic and description here under Lever Guns...

-chris

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 11:19:25 AM »
Does your rifle look like this? I paid $200 for it about a year ago. It had a little surface rust and the front blade was busted off but the action sound and the wood nice. I replaced the sight and cleaned it up a little, but it's shooter not collector piece. From the moderate research I did there are valuable variations- like an octagon barrel if I recall. It's a cool little carbine though.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline Rule#.308

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 10:21:27 AM »
yup, thats what mine looked like.  However, I have since traded it for a Winchester Model 95 pre 64.

Tom
Don't pick a fight with an old man.  If he's to old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 10:44:54 AM »
You want to trade back for one!?! I would love to have a '95 Winchester. What caliber is it? Post a pic.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud