< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Any Hams on here?  (Read 3499 times)

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Any Hams on here?
« on: November 30, 2011, 07:41:52 AM »
I'm thinking about getting a Ham Radio license and buying a transceiver setup.  Are there any Hams on here that can give me some good general get-started advice?

Offline sparky0068

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Any Hams on here?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 09:40:47 AM »
Go to the library and get the 2011 ARRL handbook and read, read, and read some more.  Then go to QRZ.com and take the practice tests, once you are comfortable with those contact a club like Lincoln Amateur Radio Club or one of you choosing (Omaha has a few) and take the test(s). 

I am a tech in Lincoln and I am usually on 146.760MHz or 146.850MHz fm.

73's KD0LKT
KD0LKT

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 12:40:11 PM »
**coughgeekscough**

J/k
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline lefty

• Powder Benefactor
  • KC0DA, NRA, USAF 57-61
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 01:21:43 PM »
Been a ham for 33 years, Extra Class.

Drop me an e-mail and I am sure we can get you in
contact with a club to help you out.

KC0DA

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 01:22:03 PM »
**coughgeekscough**

J/k
We're going to need these geeks when the SHTF and the government shuts down communication!

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 07:06:43 PM »
We're going to need these geeks when the SHTF and the government shuts down communication!

That's kind of what I'm thinking.

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 07:46:17 PM »
W0CHF here. Bellevue Amateur Radio Club. General Class Operator.
WØCHF

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 07:41:18 PM »
KC0MXX, Technician class.  No club afilliations, but I do tend to hang out on the SWIARC repeater during loading sessions.

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 10:03:30 PM »
I've thought about it but not sure if I'm willing to invest the time and money.  I know people who have done it and have a lot of fun though.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 09:23:22 AM »
I've thought about it but not sure if I'm willing to invest the time and money.  I know people who have done it and have a lot of fun though.

Most of my offroad racing buddies use the same type of equipment I think.  They're always upgrading to the latest and greatest.  I figure I can find some used portable radios and a decent base station for not a lot of money.

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 07:35:16 PM »
For anyone who is interested in becoming an Amateur radio Operator, (read HAM): The Bellevue Amateur Radio Club will be conducting classes in January for the Technician level license. Classes will be held on the 14th, 21st and 28th of January from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM at the Midlands Alegent Hospital in Papillion. Go to  http://www.bellevuearc.org/  and click on the license classes item on the left side.
WØCHF

Offline flatwater_go

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 10:36:04 PM »
I will echo Sparky, but I recommend reading the manual dedicated to the first level license (Technician Class) rather than the general ARRL Handbook.

The Technician Class license study manual is here:  http://www.amazon.com/Ham-Radio-License-Manual-Arrl/dp/0872590976/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324181712&sr=1-2

Like Sparky, I recommend taking the on-line practice exams at QRZ.com.  The Technician exam is 35 questions pulled out of a pool of 350.  The questions are not secret, and the practice exams ask the exact same questions that will appear on the written exam.

If you are a little more ambitious, the next level of license is called General Class.  The study manual is here: http://www.amazon.com/General-License-Manual-Softcover-Amateur/dp/087259811X/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1324181624&sr=8-14

Offline Mike

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 07:13:53 AM »
I already have to many coals in the fire right now and am not interested in becoming a HAM operator, but I do feel that they would be very beneficial in communication if and when the Government would shut down communications.  One question is why wouldn't they shut down HAMS?  (I think I already know the answer).   Also !  can I listen to HAM with a SW radio and which one would you recommend ?

Offline flatwater_go

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2011, 02:12:19 PM »
I've got a wide band HAM radio made by YAESU.

This site may help you get started in your Short Wave research.

http://swling.com/Radios.htm

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 03:06:28 PM »
As for the government shutting down hams, it would be pretty much impossible unless they simply jam all frequencies.  If you have the equipment to send and/or receive, you can do so (legally or not).  Yes, they could come pounding on your door and confiscate your equipment, just as they could do with guns if the law allowed for it.  However, if it gets to that point, I'm sure both radio operators and gun owners would resist with whatever means are at their disposal.  As far as ham equipment goes, local communications are generally on the two-meter or 440 bands (with or without a repeater).  In an emergency situation, long-distance communication is probably not going to be of much value except to see what's going on in other parts of the world.  Your gun, and local communications are going to be your best bet to improve your chances of survival.  Stock some gasoline for your generator, and plenty of ammo!
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.