< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Big Bore Rifle Gong Match at Ikes  (Read 1993 times)

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
Big Bore Rifle Gong Match at Ikes
« on: January 28, 2009, 09:42:59 PM »
Just a note to advertise the match at Ikes in Lincoln. The shoot is the first Sunday of the month starting in April to October. I get to the range around 8:00 am or so and we go until every one has completed the course of fire. Most of the guys shooting are black powder cartridge rifle folks but the match is open to those using smokless as well. Basic format is single shot rifles of .32 calibler and up shooting cast lead bullets at 200 and 300 yards. The targets are four steel swingers, chicken shot standing off hand at 200 yds., pig shot off crossed sticks in the sitting position at 300 yds., turkey and ram shot from crossed sticks sitting or prone at 300 yds. Ten shots each for a total possible score of 40. Who ever hits the most wins. Its really just for fun and a bit of a challange. Most of the folks that are regulars are shooting Shiloh Sharps, Pedersoli Sharps, Ballard and Remington Rolling Blocks in every thing form .32 to .45 Caliber. Most use black powder but not all. I would say the most popular round is the good old .45-70. We will supply you with a spotter to call your shots and score for you during the match and there is a sighting in period before evey match to get you on target if you dont have sight settings for 200 and 300 yards. Any quesitions or comments just reply to this post. We have been doing this for the last couple of years and having a good time so join in if you think you might want to give it a go. 

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Big Bore Rifle Gong Match at Ikes
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 12:45:17 PM »
Just a follow up on this, we had our first match of the year last Sunday and had a blast as usual.  I didn't shoot worth a darn but it was still fun making smoke!

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 11:47:21 PM »
Thanks for attending and glad you had fun. I had to miss this one as I was out in Alliance, NE at the Long Range and Buffalo Creedmore matches. Looking forward to next month. Hope to see you then.

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 11:07:37 AM »
soooo wish these things would be on Saturdays... it's like one massive conspiracy against church!

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 04:44:42 PM »
soooo wish these things would be on Saturdays... it's like one massive conspiracy against church!
I usually make it to church for the Saturday service on shoot weekends but I know not all have that option. We wound up with the Sunday slot due to about all of the Saturdays being booked for other events. I also shoot out of town on two other weekends so the choice was limited there too. Hope you can make it sometime, we can always use more shooters.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 08:30:52 PM »
It's that time again...May 2nd at 8:00.  If you have a big bore single shot stop over and kill some steel critters with us.