< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Longer slide release on a 1911?  (Read 2464 times)

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Longer slide release on a 1911?
« on: December 05, 2011, 01:14:24 PM »
I handled a 1911 the other day, and discovered that little stubby things  on my hands called thumbs were too short to reach the standard slide release.  I even tried a Kimber ultra carry 2. 

I know they make an extended slide release lever...

So my question is, anyone have any experience with an extended slide release lever?  Some of what i have read online is not good.

I'm not looking to jump on one right now, but in the future i would like to get one.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Longer slide release on a 1911?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 01:44:37 PM »
I also have smallish hands...... the first handgun I bought was a Charles Daly/KBI philipino el cheapo..... but it had an extended slid release.....  It's nice not having to shift your grip to manipulate any of the controls on the gun...... I still have that gun and it is fun to shoot...... It still has a nicer trigger on it than many guns that cost more than twice what it did!

Some of what i have read online is not good.

Such as?

The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 05:02:25 PM »
If it is going to be a self defense gun I wouldn't recommend it. I wouldn't use any extended controls on a gun I may have to fight with. Its too easy to get into the controls and cause a malfunction when your under extreme stress.

The slide stop is small and out of the way for a reason and shouldn't be used as a slide release ( I have seen students fumble this in every CCW class I have taught when forced to do a speed reload under stress when they are experiencing a loss of fine motor control).

To release the slide simply grab it at the rear, push forward with the hand gripping the frame and it will release.

If your concerned with split times on a pac timer this will cost you a few 10ths. But if your more concerned with what works in a fight this technique is much more reliable under stress and doesn't require any modifications to your gun.

- Shawn

"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 06:10:26 PM »
Also just to add to this, you may find it harder to find a holster that fits it correctly.  A leather and kydex are molded specifically for that gun with factory slide releases, safeties, and sights so changes to those things without having it molded to your specific firearm could cause fittting issues or hang-ups during your draw. FWIW
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 06:53:22 PM »
hmmm. perhaps its time to talk to someone with a 1911 and talk them out of it for a few rounds...

Thanks for the help!
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 08:30:30 PM »
Nope, no extended nuthin' on a carry gun. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline bbtech

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 06:11:34 AM »
sjwsti's advice is the best answer here. I never use the slide release on any of my 1911's to chamber a round. It can also cause failures to go into battery because the slide doesn't move as far as when you pull it back and release it. I believe John Browning put the release where it is for a reason, don't worry about it