< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Utah Permit  (Read 1404 times)

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
Utah Permit
« on: December 05, 2011, 03:23:50 PM »
 I finally sent in my application for a non-resident carry permit from Utah. I wasn't sure if I wanted one,as I only go to Pennsylvania once or twice a year. Having to go through Illinois and the accompanying BS of disarming and storing a handgun at a rest stop or gas station to get through made me hesitate. Screw 'em,it's worth it,hehehe. I had to decide before my one year anniversary of training was up,and I did. That was 56 days ago. Today's mail included a white envelope from Utah with my ccw permit. WooHoo! I was told by Chris Z and Roger T. that it would take pretty much the full 60 days so it was easy to be patient.  RJ

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
Re: Utah Permit
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 06:42:16 AM »
I finally sent in my application for a non-resident carry permit from Utah. I wasn't sure if I wanted one,as I only go to Pennsylvania once or twice a year. Having to go through Illinois and the accompanying BS of disarming and storing a handgun at a rest stop or gas station to get through made me hesitate. Screw 'em,it's worth it,hehehe. I had to decide before my one year anniversary of training was up,and I did. That was 56 days ago. Today's mail included a white envelope from Utah with my ccw permit. WooHoo! I was told by Chris Z and Roger T. that it would take pretty much the full 60 days so it was easy to be patient.  RJ

To cross IL, simply put the (unloaded) gun in the trunk in some kind of case. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 05:37:55 PM »
I just read on another forum that Utah has changed it requirements to obtain a Utah Permit, you must hold a permit from your own state first to get a Utah Non-Resident permit...

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 09:31:37 PM »
I just read on another forum that Utah has changed it requirements to obtain a Utah Permit, you must hold a permit from your own state first to get a Utah Non-Resident permit...
Yeah, I forgot about that. I read the requirements before I sent in the app and made a copy of my Ne. permit and sent it with the other stuff. That satisfied them. Not a big deal. Glad you mentioned it as a heads up to anyone else, Info from six months ago is outdated.  RJ
BTW--- back to the going through Illinois thing. The procedure, as I see it,  is to have two lockable cases. One for the unloaded gun,the other for clips and ammo.  The tricky part is finding a place that's away from prying eyes to do all this without a hoplophobe calling the authorities and reporting a "man with gun". Any help from others who have done this and figured out the easiest way would be appreciated.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 08:09:26 AM »
omaharj,
It is really not that complicated.  I called the ISP about 3 years ago as there was a course I wanted to attend.  I was put through to a SGT who was VERY helpful and thorough.  Also, sent me their "official" brochure.  As has been stated, firearm unloaded, locked and separated from ammunition.  Keep in mind they got to have a reason to search your vehicle, etc in the first place.
Now, Chi-Town is a different story......

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 09:33:15 AM »
Utah changed their law this past May to require residents of other states (who honored UT permits) to first get their own states permit. This was in response to New Mexico yanking reciprocity with Utah because the majority of NM residents were just getting UT permits and bypassing the NM permit.

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 03:42:27 PM »
Illinois was my biggest concern on a bike trip to the east coast earlier this year.  I actually emailed the AGs in all the states I would be traveling through to get the straight scoop on any gun laws that might affect me.  I was mostly concerned about the fact that locking my gun in a saddle bag might not be considered much different than a glove box (which is not allowed in some states, especially Illinois).  I was assured that locking my firearm in one saddle bag, and my ammo in the other would suffice as far as Illinois was concerned.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.