< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Holster for action shooting  (Read 1472 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Holster for action shooting
« on: December 11, 2011, 03:37:07 PM »
For the competitions where you are required to draw from a holster, would a Blackhawk Serpa holster be a good or should I be looking for one without the retention button?

Thanks,
Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Holster for action shooting
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 04:43:56 PM »
I just started this year and chose the Blackhawk CQC for my Sig 226R.
It used the passive retention and has worked ok for me so far. No issues. IMOP, if you are going to use a Serpa for CC, go ahead and use it in competion. I believe that the reason that most people shoot a competion is to practice with the equipment that they have and hopefully can  improve their ability to use that equipment.

Koz
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 06:49:46 PM »
For the competitions where you are required to draw from a holster, would a Blackhawk Serpa holster be a good or should I be looking for one without the retention button?

Thanks,
Fly

We've had plenty of people use them, and they work just fine, as long as the person using it doesn't try to go faster than their skill level.  (Meaning, if you hammer your forefinger into the release and draw as fast as you can, there have been instances in other states where people popped one off into the ground.  Or their leg.)

No matter how they are marketed, SERPA holsters aren't for quick draws.  If you use a SERPA while carrying, then yes, you should probably use it for competition.  It will slow you down, but it'll be useful practice under stress, and it'll tell you pretty quick if it is something that is going to hang up on you.

Minor personal comment:  I don't use level II retention holsters for any sort of daily carry unless I'm open-carrying.  (Which is rare for me.)  Most holsters have perfectly good passive retention systems that'll keep the gun in even when doing rolls on the ground.  (I say that from personal experience.  :) )

And while I don't have anything against SERPA holsters myself (I own several) there are a number of pistol instructors now who do not allow them in their classes, as some people aren't careful enough on the draw with them.    (And while I own some SERPA holsters, I must also admit that the Safariland ALS belt holsters are much better, in my opinion.  Not only faster, but easier, more intuitive, and yes, safer to use.)

As koz said, the Blackhawk CQC (the non-SERPA version) is a great holster---works for carry (in winter, at least), plus works perfectly well for competition.  Adjustable passive retention keeps the gun secure.  Since it is generally around $30, tends to be fairly popular.

Looking back over your post, it occurred to me that I was answering from the point of view of USPSA competitions.  If you are planning on participating in a Steel Challenge match---that holster will slow you down significantly, and you will be drawing 25 times per match.  It will make a difference.  In USPSA, while it will make a difference, for most local matches the draw doesn't define winners and losers.  :)  In a Steel Challenge match, though, an extra half-second per draw can make a significant difference---an automatic extra 10 seconds in your total (out of a 100-second total match time) will move you several places in the rankings.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 09:23:11 PM »
Thanks guys.  I found a Serpa on sale for $27, so that is the reason for the question.  I think I will pass on it since I am only looking for one to use during competitions.  I am trying to move out of the last place ranking into the second from last ranking.   ;D

Just a question about the Serpa...I am surprised that "...if you hammer your forefinger into the release and draw as fast as you can, there have been instances in other states where people popped one off into the ground.  Or their leg."  If you are drawing the gun up, shouldn't anything that gets in the way of the trigger be moving in the wrong direction?  That is, essentially pushing forward on the trigger as opposed to pulling the trigger to the fire position?

Fly

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 09:42:22 PM »
Thanks guys.  I found a Serpa on sale for $27, so that is the reason for the question.  I think I will pass on it since I am only looking for one to use during competitions.  I am trying to move out of the last place ranking into the second from last ranking.   ;D

Don't know what kind of gun you have, but MidwayUSA has Blackhawk CQCs for about $30 in general...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/142735/blackhawk-cqc-holster-right-hand-glock-19-23-32-polymer-black

Just a question about the Serpa...I am surprised that "...if you hammer your forefinger into the release and draw as fast as you can, there have been instances in other states where people popped one off into the ground.  Or their leg."  If you are drawing the gun up, shouldn't anything that gets in the way of the trigger be moving in the wrong direction?  That is, essentially pushing forward on the trigger as opposed to pulling the trigger to the fire position?

Fly

The SERPA is made so that to operate the release, you SHOULD just have your trigger finger straight, and pressed against where the slide would be if the holster wasn't in the way.

Some people, however, (in their brilliance) instead crook their finger so the point pushes the button in, and under stress they keep pressing, clenching their hand, so that when the gun comes sufficiently out of the holster their finger slips right into the trigger guard as their hand continues to clench.  This ends badly.

There have also been other people who just don't have good trigger control (and nor good safety practice) who put their finger on the trigger immediately as the gun clears the holster on the first part of the draw, instead of waiting until the gun is pointed towards the target.  Using the forefinger once for pressure to unlock the retention, and then having this type of safety issue, tends to also make for negligent discharges as the person tends to apply more pressure on the trigger than they initially meant to.

[sigh]  With expected results. 

We've had plenty of people use SERPA holsters perfectly safely at the USPSA matches at ENGC.  That being said, it certainly isn't a good competition holster, and as a retention holster (for open or duty carry) there are several others I would suggest first.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 09:49:45 PM »
Some people, however, (in their brilliance) instead crook their finger so the point pushes the button in, and under stress they keep pressing, clenching their hand, so that when the gun comes sufficiently out of the holster their finger slips right into the trigger guard as their hand continues to clench.  This ends badly.

Aaaah! I get it now.  I thought it was some component of the holster pulling the trigger.  I think I will pass on this type of holster.  Regardless, I don't think this would happen to me since I always draw the gun and spin it a couple of times on my trigger finger before I aim at the target.  I learned that from this cool guy I saw on YouTube.  ;)

I like the part where he said "...my training took over.  I called my parents...".  Seriously though, kudos to him for admitting his error and using it to educate others.  I'm glad he was not seriously injured.

Fly
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 09:55:31 PM by OnTheFly »