< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Donuts or Cookies ?  (Read 4586 times)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Donuts or Cookies ?
« on: December 12, 2011, 04:11:23 PM »
I'm not from NE, nor Omaha area, etc.  Am a Navy brat and moved around a lot as a kid.

The other day here at work, a conversation was going... and one of my coworkers mentioned "cutting cookies".  Naturally I was confused as all holy hell.

After taking a poll of everyone in the building, there are 3 people who say 'donuts' (one from eastern IA, and two wanderers including myself), 1 said 'brodies' (he's older though, and i may be the only person who recognizes the phrase here heh), and ALL THE REST said 'cookies'.

I've expanded my polling to out of state friends and family as well.  No one else has ever heard of 'cookies' and always laughs at it.

Sooooo.... NFOA .....

Cookies or Donuts ?

Also, any chance of getting where you're from as a comment ?

So far, from Omaha / Council Bluffs and more northward is 'cookies'.  Some people from Idaho have mentioned cookies, as well as South Dakota (although if you go towards the Quad Cities area, its 'donuts').  Chicago, TN, UT, CA, FL have all said 'donuts' so far.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Donuts or Cookies ?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 04:40:42 PM »
Well, down in Kansas we called it "whippin cat's A$$es".   
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 04:49:55 PM »
Well, down in Kansas we called it "whippin cat's A$$es".   

uhm... no **** ?
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 04:53:35 PM »
And 'Lazy Js' were my fav, with posi I could sign my initials.

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 05:01:26 PM »
And 'Lazy Js' were my fav, with posi I could sign my initials.

just makes it easier for the local fuzz to talk to you about it:)
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 06:19:09 PM »
i had to google this.  (is that sad?)

i say cookies, but not cutting cookies.  i call them spinning cookies.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 07:17:51 PM »
I can't imagine any one abusing a motor vehicle in that manner 8)
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Hermit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 08:19:25 PM »
Spinning cookies in the snow after swim practice was a time-honored tradition when I was in HS.  It warmed the car up nicely before the trip home, and in all seriousness, it taught me a lot about how to handle my car in the snow.  I could make that boat (a 1980 Bonneville) dance like...well, a boat, spinning around on the snow/ice.  But, yeah, spinning cookies!

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
Mom didn't buy my tires and insurance. I had to pay for it myself. Guess I was abused.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 08:43:58 PM »
I grew up in Northeast Nebraska and it was usually cookies, although people would occasionally spin a donut.

And a J turn was often referred to as a "cop turn" since that was how they would quickly turn around to chase you after catching you spinning a cookie.

Not that I ever did such a reckless thing.....

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 08:47:04 PM »
Spinning cookies in the snow after swim practice was a time-honored tradition when I was in HS.  It warmed the car up nicely before the trip home, and in all seriousness, it taught me a lot about how to handle my car in the snow.  I could make that boat (a 1980 Bonneville) dance like...well, a boat, spinning around on the snow/ice.  But, yeah, spinning cookies!

I learned more about driving by being an idiot with a car than most kids did by taking driver's ed.  Of course I also started driving on the farm before my legs were long enough to push in the clutch.  If my daughter ever drives the way I did she'll never see the driver's seat again :P

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 08:34:53 AM »
Looks like some of the Boys were..........

Driving Dad's Car.

sfg
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 08:45:10 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 04:43:51 PM »
Never had a reason to do doughnuts....... but we practiced 180's (180 degree slide/turns on straight gravel roads ...... essentially reversing the direction of travel without losing engine speed ...... involved a front wheel drive car and using the parking brake to lock the rear wheels...... ...
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 05:55:18 PM »
Really confused what was going on when I started reading this, thought this was originally a slang term for farts... after seeing someone say "spinning" cookies I understood. So that is my vote. I have replaced 6 wheel bearings on my car in 4 years while rarely spinning cookies so I try to avoid doing them despite how fun it is in an empty parking lot with ice. At least when I had to replace the most recent 2 bearings it was easy since they didn't even have time to rust on...

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 09:20:42 AM »
I grew up in northeast Nebraska, bought my own cars, tires, fuel, etc. ... and did both donuts and cookies.  There was no distinction between the two.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 12:39:36 PM »
Cookies is winning! :(

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 03:03:57 PM »
OK, just to clear my vote up, I am sitting at work eating some xmas cookies someone brought in, so naturally the answer was cookies.  And I like cookies more than donuts anyway.

After reading half the way down the thread I was hedging strongly towards "WTF", I really don’t get what the heck this one is about.

At the end someone cleared it up for me.  I am originally from California (Escaped at the age of 19, thanks to the USAF), and it was donuts everywhere there.  Cookies?  Really?  Dam you Midwest folks have some peculiar sayings.  There are times when I’m not sure who is weirder, Californian’s or Nebraskan’s. 

But Alabama beats them all, no contest. 

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 05:22:40 PM »
I call it a waste of good rubber!
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 06:11:30 PM »
but, see A&H, I never had GOOD rubber on my pick-up  ;D 
always take offs from dad's truck.

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 10:18:53 AM »
NE Bull:

So, you made slicks out of them?  :)
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.