< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Been bit by the Mosin Bug!  (Read 9090 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Been bit by the Mosin Bug!
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 01:33:50 PM »
Not really.  There were fewer made by Tula so sometimes they go for a little more, but both arsenals made millions of them so it really doesn't matter.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 02:41:37 PM »
Not really.  There were fewer made by Tula so sometimes they go for a little more, but both arsenals made millions of them so it really doesn't matter.

Thanks again!

I guess I have one more question...is this Classic Arms a good place to buy from?  I was thinking about paying the $10 for the hand picked rifle if I decide to jump in.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2011, 03:21:04 PM »
Classic Arms has been very accurate in their descriptions of condition from my experience. 

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2011, 07:05:48 PM »
How about the Ishevsk or Tula? Either one better?

I have a theory on why Tula seems more popular:  1)- The Tula Star (around an arrow) looks "cooler" than the Ishevsk Triangle (around an arrow) ........ and ....2) Americans cannot easily pronounce "Ishevsk".

I have a 1943 Ishevsk ...... outer finish is atrocious, but it works great, and I can reliably  hit an orange at 50 yards without "kentucky windage".....
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2011, 07:22:16 PM »
I have a theory on why Tula seems more popular:  1)- The Tula Star (around an arrow) looks "cooler" than the Ishevsk Triangle (around an arrow) ........ and ....2) Americans cannot easily pronounce "Ishevsk".

I have a 1943 Ishevsk ...... outer finish is atrocious, but it works great, and I can reliably  hit an orange at 50 yards without "kentucky windage".....

Ishevsk, Ishevsk, Ishevsk, Ishevsk, Ishevsk, Ishevsk...It's not so hard.   ;)

Thanks guys.

Fly

Offline gwilly

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2011, 07:55:16 AM »
One thing is certain.........I'm gonna be at this for awhile!! :P

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2011, 08:16:11 AM »
What's crazy is I can see a couple variants missing from that chart.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2011, 10:14:32 AM »
Ishevsk, Ishevsk, Ishevsk, Ishevsk, Ishevsk, Ishevsk...It's not so hard

You don't know how bad we mangle it until you hear a native pronounce it......
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Eagle1

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2011, 12:31:04 PM »
Altheman2, I had the same thing happen in my safe. Thinken GSD had a bad influence on the situation.
USN 83-87, American Legion

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2011, 06:27:11 PM »
Altheman2, I had the same thing happen in my safe. Thinken GSD had a bad influence on the situation.

I have NO idea what you are talking about...
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline gwilly

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2012, 08:24:02 AM »
I was able to feed my .....uh......'habit' yesterday! I came across this gem at a local pawn shop.....
It's a 1924 ex-dragoon with a 1909 receiver in what looks like decent shooting condition. I 'll clean & do a thorough check of it this afternoon.  :D

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2012, 09:34:42 AM »
Very nice!  The ex-Dragoons are a little rarer than the run of the mill 91/30's.

I need to get one or two more 91/30's.  I actually have only one, and it shoots minute of barn door even though it has a pristine bore.  You never know what you're going to get with one of these.  I'm thinking of buying another and keeping the old one around just for parts.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2012, 11:35:27 AM »
Sights on my Mosin don't even line up straight and I don't think they can be adjusted by someone with as few tools as I have  :(

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2012, 12:08:30 PM »
eh, it russian, all you need is a hammer:)
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2012, 02:27:00 PM »
eh, it russian, all you need is a hammer:)
Hey, gsd knows what he is talking about here. A hammer and a punch may well be just the ticket depending on what you mean by not lining up.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2012, 04:46:28 PM »
Very nice!  The ex-Dragoons are a little rarer than the run of the mill 91/30's.

I need to get one or two more 91/30's.  I actually have only one, and it shoots minute of barn door even though it has a pristine bore.  You never know what you're going to get with one of these.  I'm thinking of buying another and keeping the old one around just for parts.

I was thinking about buying one or two from ClassicArms.us, but your statement above has made me a little nervous.  Would I be better off buying it from someone face-to-face so that I could verify it is not one of the lemons?

Fly

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2012, 04:55:15 PM »
I was thinking about buying one or two from ClassicArms.us, but your statement above has made me a little nervous.  Would I be better off buying it from someone face-to-face so that I could verify it is not one of the lemons?

Fly

Honestly, pretty much all of the Mosins out there have been arsenal refurbished and have more or less perfect bores, so you'll get something in decent shape no matter where you buy it from.  The one I have was bought locally and looked perfect, it just doesn't shoot worth a darn.  Sometimes you just get a lemon.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2012, 07:58:18 PM »
Honestly, pretty much all of the Mosins out there have been arsenal refurbished and have more or less perfect bores, so you'll get something in decent shape no matter where you buy it from.  The one I have was bought locally and looked perfect, it just doesn't shoot worth a darn.  Sometimes you just get a lemon.

I thought you might offer to sell me yours.   ;)

Fly

Offline gwilly

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »

Thanks, I like the older MNs.....this is the oldest I've found so close to home......just goes to show that they are out there!

I did get it all cleaned up but ran out of daylight to try it out. It will be interesting to see how it does. It was counter-bored 1.75" at the arsenal....the rest of the bore appears bright shiney & sharp.

I've been told that they shoot high & to the right without the bayonet on. I'll do some experimenting with this one to see if that holds true.

What caught my eye & appears unusual on this one is the stamp on the receiver. It's got both the communist hammer, sickle & wreath along with the czarist eagle. I thought that the eagles were normally ground off........kinda cool!! :)

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 08:03:17 PM by gwilly »

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2012, 08:08:39 PM »
im jealous!!
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official