< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: BerrysBullets Wadcutters  (Read 1584 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
BerrysBullets Wadcutters
« on: December 15, 2011, 01:36:44 PM »
As Y'all might know, BerrysBullets makes plated .38cal 148gr wadcutters in both DEWC [Double-ended Wadcutters] and HBWC [Hollow-based Wadcutters].

I've been reloading .38cal hole-punching target ammo with Hornady #10208 148gr HBWC dry-lubed lead bullets.   They work nicely.   Bullets are more accurate than I am.   Make nice round holes, all that.

But....even with mild loads at 4grains Win@231, the S&W Model 19 tends to lead up somewhat.   The inside-cylinder lead and bore lead can be scrubbed out OK.   All it takes is elbow grease and vigorous brass brush application.     

However, the outside leading on the cylinder flutes and muzzle end is a pain.    Don't want to brush too hard and remove the bluing along with the lead.    Further.....Haven't found a good lead-removing chemical for the outside of the revolver, also for fear of removing the bluing.

So---plated BerrysBullets might be the solution.

Now, the Operative Question:
Any reason for using HBWC vs DEWC, in anyone's opinion?

HBWCs require orientation [hollow end goes in first].   DEWC's, either end in first, no matter.   [So the Lazy Reloader doesn't have to visually check the bullet end-orientation when inserting into the cartridge case.]

Does the plated HBWC have a better gas seal than the plated DEWC??    Does it make any difference?

Any feedback from experienced HBWC/DEWC BerrysBullets users would be helpful.

[Before I order 1000 non-returnable bullets by mail.]

sfg

« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 01:42:30 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Re: BerrysBullets Wadcutters
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 02:50:26 PM »
Can't answer your operational question, no experience.

----

There is a lead cleaning cloth thing that looks like sheep skin.  Sells for about $4-$6.  I cut 1" squares off.

It pretties up my s&w 686 real pretty with minimal effort... but it's not a blue'd gun.

-----

I noted in another thread that experimenting with a variety of charges in my sig p229 that with that particular lead I was using, I actually got the least amount of leading with a higher charge rather than a lower one.  Have ya tried doing a full gamut of charges to see if one of the higher ones might do better ?

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: BerrysBullets Wadcutters
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 04:41:08 PM »
UNFY:

I noted in another thread that experimenting with a variety of charges in my sig p229 that with that particular lead I was using, I actually got the least amount of leading with a higher charge rather than a lower one.  Have ya tried doing a full gamut of charges to see if one of the higher ones might do better ?

Actually, since it's just hole-punching, I normally use a charge which will barely dribble the bullet out of the barrel.

Which--when using Win231--actually results in a larger cloud of smoke and soot than if a hotter, heavier charge were used.

Once I get the current question resolved, it might be informative to try a range of charges.    [But I hope to solve this leading situation w/plated bullets.   Less lead contamination in the way of little residual lead particles flittering around my reloading area.]

Already, the Iron that used to be in my Blood has since turned to Lead in my Butt.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer