< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: A Question for the Experts  (Read 3108 times)

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
A Question for the Experts
« on: December 17, 2011, 07:45:03 PM »
So, my wife use to work in one of those payday advance places and has told me that they are required to adhere to many of the nations banking laws.  It si my experience that few of these places (none that I have seen) have "No CCW" signs. 

Are they off-limits as banking institutions? 

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

A-FIXER

Re: A Question for the Experts
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 08:21:02 PM »
A thought: To me if they were backed by the F.D.I.C. then they would be regulated by the Federal guidelines/ and or/Laws other than that as you stated....

they are required to adhere
must be a company policy but again this is just my point of view.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 10:03:41 PM »
Not an Expert, by Any Means, but Here's What it Sez in the Bible:

TITLE 272, NEBRASKA ADMINISTRATIVE CODE, CHAPTER 21

018 PROHIBITED PLACES AND PREMISES
018.01 A permit holder may carry a concealed handgun anywhere except [among scores of other places as well...]
018.01G Financial institutions as defined by Nebraska Revised Statutes § 8-101(12);

And Here's What it Sez in
8-101(12) Financial institution means a bank, savings bank, building and loan association, savings and loan association, or credit union, whether chartered by the United States, the department, or a foreign state agency; any other similar organization which is covered by federal deposit insurance; or a trust company;

Wouldn't appear that the Check Cashery is covered as a Prohibited Place and Premise.  FDIC-regulated organizations usually have an FDIC decal pasted on the window.   Never seen one at a Check Cashery.   But then, I don't actually GO there....Just drive by.

What's Your Own Interpretation??????

[By the way, Nebraska State Patrol sez we should always consult a lawyer to resolve these issues.

I'm not a lawyer...
      Never been one.....
          Never wanted to be one......]

sfg

« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 10:08:17 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 01:25:41 PM »
As I read the Administrative Code, the FDIC has nothing to do with whether or not an organization is a "financial institution".

FWIW, I work in banking and check-cashing businesses are categorized as "money service businesses" (MSB's).  Also, FWIW, FinCEN - one of the many government bodies with which bankers must deal - does not consider banks, as described by FinCEN's 31 CFR 1010.100(d), a MSB.

Clear as mud?

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 03:41:13 PM »
I agree, if it's not a federally or state chartered bank I would not consider it a financial institution covered by the CCW laws.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 06:05:21 PM »
Semper fi guy nailed it

banned places...

018.01G Financial institutions as defined by Nebraska Revised Statutes § 8-101(12);

And Here's What it Sez in
8-101(12) Financial institution means a bank, savings bank, building and loan association, savings and loan association, or credit union, whether chartered by the United States, the department, or a foreign state agency; any other similar organization which is covered by federal deposit insurance; or a trust company;

organization which is covered by federal deposit insurance; or a trust company;

how could this not mean FDIC?
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 06:08:52 PM »
I see nothing disallowing CHP carries in the "Check Cashing" facilities.  Remember, banks are disallowed by our (Nebraska) statute.  This does not apply to all states e.g. Texas.  I would assume the "adherence" to banking laws would apply to usuary rules, loan paperwork, Dodd-Frank, etc. 

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 07:58:11 PM »
Whew! I hope so, I have been known to use one of these 'legal check floating' businesses (for gotta have purchases, well, such as guns, motorcycle, ;) ) I always felt 'nervous' walking in/out of there. I mean anybody whose anybody knows you are either walking IN with cash, or OUT with cash. And I know for a fact a couple here in Lincoln have been robbed before. 
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 08:09:57 PM »
The NAC very clearly and plainly says, in everyday American English............

".........covered by federal deposit insurance"......

As in FEDERAL DEPOSIT INSURANCE CORPORATION

So---If there's an FDIC sticker in the window, on the door, or an employee's forehead, DON'T PACK IN THAT PLACE!!!!!.

It's as clear as what the meaning of IS is.

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 08:25:22 PM »
Check cashing places are loan sharks, not banks. You can deposit money into a bank and get it back later.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 07:53:30 AM »
Semper fi guy nailed it

banned places...

organization which is covered by federal deposit insurance; or a trust company;

how could this not mean FDIC?

Are you asking me?  If so, re-read what I wrote.  Federal Deposit Insurance is a program offered to federally-chartered banks but it does not make them a bank (or financial institution).  There may be a correlation but it's not a causal relationship.

Moreover FDIC coverage is one of several qualifying criteria - not the only one.  So, a "similar organization" (similar to the list of organizations preceding the 'similar' statement) that is covered by the FDIC is added to the list by the statement following the semi-colon.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 07:56:40 AM by Mudinyeri »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 08:22:59 AM »
Whew! I hope so, I have been known to use one of these 'legal check floating' businesses (for gotta have purchases, well, such as guns, motorcycle, ;) ) I always felt 'nervous' walking in/out of there. I mean anybody whose anybody knows you are either walking IN with cash, or OUT with cash. And I know for a fact a couple here in Lincoln have been robbed before. 

I know a guy who worked at one in college.  He was pretty much always on edge expecting to be robbed.  You're behind bulletproof glass but that doesn't mean they can't wait by the back door for a shift change.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 08:48:42 AM »
If FDIC is one of several inclusive criteria defining an institution where CC is prohibited, then a check cashing business would not be considered such...IMHO.  To have FDIC you must accept deposits, and these businesses are only loaning money.

On a side note, when I worked as a consumer credit counselor18 years ago, these types of "check cashing" businesses had a very hard time collecting on bad checks.  The attorney (general, county, state?) would resist filing charges against people who wrote the checks.  Normally when a check is written, the legal assumption is that the check is backed by funds in the account.  However, the checks written for a loan were accepted knowing that there was not sufficient funds in the account.  Not sure how/if that has changed over the years.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 09:52:38 AM »
On a side note, when I worked as a consumer credit counselor18 years ago, these types of "check cashing" businesses had a very hard time collecting on bad checks.  The attorney (general, county, state?) would resist filing charges against people who wrote the checks.  Normally when a check is written, the legal assumption is that the check is backed by funds in the account.  However, the checks written for a loan were accepted knowing that there was not sufficient funds in the account.  Not sure how/if that has changed over the years.

Fly

Yet another reason why they charge high interest at those places. They are making high-risk loans!

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 11:06:59 AM »
Lest We Stray Too Far From the Initial Operative Question............

Which appears to be:   Can a CHP/CCW holder carry a concealed handgun in a check-cashing facility???

All information presented so far seems to indicate that concealed carrying is permitted at a check-cashing facility.    [Unless they are otherwise properly posted NO CCW according to NSP recommendations.]

And--based on input from some of the later forum posts on this topic--probably a good idea.

sfg

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 11:26:53 AM »
Always keep in mind that oft quoted phrase....."Concealed mean concealed"

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 03:49:06 PM »
Q:    Are you Packin'?

A:     If you Can't tell, I'm Not Tellin'.

sfg

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 07:51:19 PM »
I know a guy who worked at one in college.  He was pretty much always on edge expecting to be robbed.  You're behind bulletproof glass but that doesn't mean they can't wait by the back door for a shift change.

It was a major worry for me.  The one my wife worked in had no armored glass, no steel doors, just a counter and a time-lock safe.  I nearly had her talked into getting her CHP, but then the boss pissed her off real bad and she quit.  So much for that idea.  I taught her to shoot when we first got married, and she is a dam good shot, but honestly has no interest in guns. 

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX