< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Constitutional Carry in Nebraska! ~~POLL~~  (Read 3971 times)

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
Re: Constitutional Carry in Nebraska! ~~POLL~~
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2012, 12:31:39 PM »
There are no government hoops to jump though in order to open carry in Nebraska(I know, except in Obamaha), why should I be forced to jump through hoops if I want to cover my weapon with a shirt or jacket?

Hear hear! Great argument.

Either human beings have a natural right to self defense or we don't. Being forced to pay the state to get a "permit" to exercise a basic human right is an affront to justice.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2012, 12:36:53 PM »
Hehe yes indeed you are  ;)
Here's the deal. We have a constitutional right to carry weapons and asking the government for permission in order to exercise my rights makes those rights nothing but privileges. Then on top of asking permission they charge us a $100 fee to exercise said right along with mandating costly training that not everyone can afford. This comes pretty close to the Jim Crow laws don't ya think? Poll taxes in order to exercise your right to vote, Intelligence test to exercise your right to vote (all aimed towards poor blacks). In the same way the govt is discriminating against the poor and discouraging many from carrying firearms here in Nebraska today. This is one of the main reasons why I think our CCW numbers are so low here.......cost. And many of my gun owning friends have told me that is one of the main reasons they have not sought the permit.

In short........the Nebraska Handgun Permit Act really is a violation of our constitutional rights, however it is an improvement over the conditions we endured before this law was passed, so we took what we could get..........for now.

To address some of the points you raised, some states don't even let you own "self defense" bullets (hollow points). New Jersey would be one that comes to mind and if i remember correctly its a felony just to possess these. Obviously those laws are wrong, but my point is bullets are bullets. They are dangerous no matter what, over penetration is less of an issue if you can't even make every shot hit the target which police forces are well known for. And I do believe that several agencies out in the northeast states don't use hollow points but round nose but i could be wrong on that. Same thing I think is the case in all of Europe and most of the world. Again, please correct me if i'm wrong.

Even our well trained ex security guard Walgreen's hero (God bless him) fired 8 rounds and made 4 hit the gunman, course we could say 5 since an additional round went into the shotgun barrel, but regardless 3 bullets went to whatever was behind the bad guy.

As i have said in another post we need to recognize people's rights and allow no permit carry. If people break the law and hurt someone then we should punish them, but leave people alone that are minding their own business and not harming anyone by carrying concealed. To mitigate the accidents society needs to promote gun education/safety from an early age (including stuff like Eddie Eagle in Elemenatary), making Gun Safety 101 mandatory in High School and College/University. That's what I believe, take it or leave it  ;)

Heroic comment! Poor people are the ones who are likely to live in the more dangerous neighborhoods, and thus they are the ones who most need to have a defensive firearm handy.

Reducing the fee (to say, $20, like most counties in Alabama) would mitigate this problem to some extent, but the issue there is that the permit legislation requires an FBI background check that costs a lot of money (I think $45?) and so then we would have an unfunded mandate to State Patrol. An intermediate reform, short of constitutional carry, would be to change the background check requirement and reduce the fee to applicants accordingly.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2012, 06:45:12 PM »
Last time I checked The Second Amendment said...... " THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR".
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, 09:43:01 PM »
I voted the third option as I think we need to focus on the Castle Doctine.  I am fine with the concept just think we have bigger fish to fry.
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan

Offline jimburnetto

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2012, 02:28:52 PM »
we have this already.  just need it to be recognized...

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2012, 03:54:58 PM »
jimburnetto:

I agree, if you read the state constitution, there is little doubt.  Unfortunately, certain places in Nebraska feel they are above the law, and the state itself has "infringed" by passing the CHP act, or banning concealed weapons in the first place.  This law would, hopefully, override any state or local authority in this regard.  While I already have my permit, and I don't truly expect to ever have to renew it at my age (although I'd like to), I would agree and support a measure that forces a literal interpretation of the state (or federal) constitution.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2012, 09:09:23 AM »
I voted no, but not for the reason in the poll.  I don't think we'll get a bill out of committee anytime soon, let alone passed by the unicam.  I think our efforts would be better placed on other issues first.

Offline doublegg

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2012, 07:18:37 AM »
YES!-If one can legally own a firearm they should be able to carry it anyway they chose.

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2012, 10:51:46 AM »
What bill needs to be passed? The people of Nebraska voted for Constitutional Carry as a ballot measure nearly 25 years ago.

Nebraska has been a Vermont "style" carry state since 1988.
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM