< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: CCW holder nearly beaten to death  (Read 1969 times)

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
CCW holder nearly beaten to death
« on: December 31, 2011, 07:16:57 PM »
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/off-topic/2973355-brother-assaulted-prayers-for-recovery.html

A friend of mine came across this in a corvette forum. Long story short, CCW holder sitting in his car, beaten nearly to death with a crowbar and has his weapon taken. He never uses it.

No details have been posted as of yet. So of course we cant know exactly what happened. But, to throw out a couple of theories, he either didn't see it coming at all (no real defense against a properly executed ambush). Or if he did he was too slow to react (faulty mindset). Or he couldn't get to his weapon fast enough (faulty equipment/training). All it takes is one good hit to the head and your done. I hope he doesn't have any long term disabilities as a result.

Best strategy; stay alert, keep your windows up, doors locked and weapon accessible.

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Re: CCW holder nearly beaten to death
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 08:04:18 PM »
Indeed :(

Guess just a friendly reminder to CCW's to pay attention at all times and such.  To NOT be like those girls / women who think they're safe at all times simply because they have their cell phone.

Hope that guy recovers fully :(
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
As we mentioned on other threads, if you are caught by surprise, the best gun, best holster, and best training may all be in vain. 
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 09:29:25 PM »
As we mentioned on other threads, if you are caught by surprise, the best gun, best holster, and best training may all be in vain. 

I agree completely, if you are laid out or killed by the initial attack. But if you survive that initial attack with your wits intact you may need that better gun, better holster and some training to win.

For example, take a best case scenario; Your alone walking to your car late at night, you see a rather large dude change direction and begin walking toward you. You notice this because you were in condition yellow, now its orange. As you continue toward your vehicle you put your hand on your .22mag derringer in your pocket just in case. Scary big dude notices that you are alert, knows that Ne. is a CCW state, and decides to change direction again and leave. Whew, that was a close one. Other than being alert, your gun/holster/training didn't matter at all.

Now how about another scenario that may apply more to what happened to the victim in this thread; Your in your car sitting outside a bar, window down waiting for your buddy. Your cell rings and as you begin to read a text you are struck through the open window.

You are dazed as someone opens your door and pulls you out and onto the ground. Your head clears enough to see a stranger raise a crowbar.

You have a combat mindset, you have taken advanced shooting classes and you trained fighting from the ground. After that class you changed from a behind the hip IWB holster to an AIWB because you learned that having to draw from a standard IWB while fighting from your back was very difficult. You also carry a full size high capacity gun because you know that accuracy is everything and no one can know how many shots it will take to stop the threat.

You react how you have trained, kicking at your attacker knees as fast and as hard as you can. Simultaneously drawing your weapon and firing until the threat stops. You quickly get to your feet and move while scanning the area, you notice that several other males are running away. You check you weapon, top it off and do a self assessment. You are bleeding from the side of your head but it doesn't appear serious. Yadda, yadda you get the idea.

In the second scenario your training, gun and holster made all the difference. IMO close range suprise attacks are when you will need these skills and equipment the most.

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 09:54:06 AM »
This was posted on that forum by a local:

ViperPoison Location: Omaha NE

"Good luck. I know exactly what you are going through.

My little brother was sitting on the porch at a friend's house. A truck ran into his car at the end of the driveway. There was snow on the ground and no sidewalk, so my brother ran along the curb waving his hands above his head to flag down the driver. The truck pulled forward, ran him over, backed up and did it again. The driver had never met my brother.

He spent 8 days in a coma with swelling in his brain before he let go. This Christmas was harder than the last. I hope that everything goes well for you."

...........Did anyone hear about this story back when it happened? :o

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 10:21:17 AM »
Here it is.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100208/NEWS01/702089919

Man run over by truck Jan. 31 dies
By Juan Perez Jr.
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER
 Scott Limbeck, the 24-year-old Omaha man who was run over by a pickup truck outside a midtown Omaha housewarming party Jan. 31, died from his injuries Sunday night, police said.

The 24-year-old Limbeck's skull was fractured, and he had been in a medically induced coma at Creighton University Medical Center since he was injured, a brother said.

Authorities couldn't immediately comment about how Limbeck's death would affect the case against his alleged attacker, 28-year-old Travis Wolfe of Bellevue.

Prosecutors think Wolfe struck Limbeck with a pickup twice, then drove off. The incident occurred near 60th Street and Poppleton Avenue.

Wolfe was originally charged with first-degree assault but could face more severe charges following Limbeck's death.

Wolfe turned himself in last Tuesday at Omaha's Central Police Headquarters.

Limbeck was outside the housewarming party when Wolfe and two other men were kicked out of the party for trying to start fights, prosecutors allege. The prosecutor said Wolfe struck a vehicle as he was leaving and Limbeck ran out into the street and tried to wave Wolfe down.

Wolfe, whose truck was about 15 feet away from Limbeck, drove forward and ran over Limbeck, according to the prosecutor. Wolfe then backed the pickup up over Limbeck, then drove off, witnesses told authorities.

Mike Fabian, Wolfe's attorney, said he has talked to at least one other person who was there who disputes that account. Fabian said Wolfe had been at the party with others, left and then returned after a friend called to say he was left behind.

Members of the Limbeck and Wolfe families couldn't be reached for comment.

Limbeck's brother said Scott Limbeck was a senior at the University of Nebraska at Omaha with plans to graduate this spring and work in real estate.

www.88tactical.com

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 04:01:19 AM »
Another sad story...

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 12:13:56 PM »
sjwsti:

By all means, carry the best weapon, in the most effective manner, and train all you can.  I'm not saying it will never matter, just that in the right circumstances, in may not.  As you correctly pointed out in your first scenario, the gun, holster, and training did not matter (other than perhaps adding to your confidence and therefore the way you carried yourself).  However, they may not have mattered in the second scenario either if that first blow with the crowbar split your skull open and exposed your bleeding brain.

I'm all for carrying good firearms in an effective manner and training to use them.  If I were forty years younger, I'd probably be taking more training classes and becoming as good as I could be in that regard.  As it is, I don't have the time, the money, the physical ability, nor the inclination for it.  I'm hoping, that if I get attacked, it will be like the guy with the sword coming at Indianna Jones.  I'll have all the time I need and just pull down on the guy and blast him a few times. :)
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.