< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: +NEWBIE TO BLACK POWDER  (Read 699 times)

Offline wahoo_t

• NFOA Full Member
+NEWBIE TO BLACK POWDER
« on: January 01, 2012, 11:40:05 AM »
HEY GUYS I JUST PICKED UP A CVA 209 BIGHORN FROM A GUY NEEDING A 100.00 SO I GAVE HIM A HUNDRED.IT HASN'T BEEN SHOT.ALL I HAVE IS THE GUN WHAT DO I NEED FROM HERE.BEEN DOING A LOT OF READING BUT I WANT YOUR IMPUT ON WHAT I WILL NEED TO SHOOT A DEER. THANKS
The Wahoo_T

"No Gun is a Danger to the Innocent When Held by a Man of Morals"-unknown author_

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: +NEWBIE TO BLACK POWDER
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 12:33:54 PM »
A local muzzle loading club would be a good place to start. Many members here shoot black powder. Arrange time with an experienced someone at the range for some hands on familarization. Good luck with it and welcome to the BP fraternity.
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: +NEWBIE TO BLACK POWDER
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 10:25:50 PM »
Read your manual.  Pick up the recommended powder and correct caliber bullets.  My father in law only shoots with sabots, although I used to shoot only a lead projectile.  A bullet starter.  Cleaning supplies.  Whatever caps it takes... something to hold a couple extra charges of powder and bullets and you should be good to go.  I've probably forgotten something, but I'm sure someone else can jump in.

Shoot some target practice before going and don't clean between shots... most likely you won't clean in the field if you miss your deer.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.