< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Question on hand gun carry  (Read 1659 times)

Offline RANGER 01

• Powder Benefactor
Question on hand gun carry
« on: January 03, 2012, 09:48:12 PM »
I go to my granddaughters basketball games about 125 miles away and they are at night and I like to have my Glock 17 with me. My question is if before I get to the school grounds I take the clip out and place the pistol & magazine in a key locked box with a cable securied to the under seat frame and I and my wife both have NE CCW permits, am I with in the law as far as having a weapon on school grounds. If I understand the law I would be ok.Other wise what do I do with the pistol, lock it in the trunk. I would think in a steel locked box secured to the car with a cable would be the best option.
Any other comments would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Dick
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 10:00:55 PM by RANGER 01 »
My Oath, taken in 1959, to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic,still STANDS

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
Re: Question on hand gun carry
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 09:54:44 PM »
I believe that you are completely within the law doing this.
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 10:13:42 PM »
In NE, while you are in your vehicle you are fine.  If you lock it in your secured and hardened container as you say (chain wrapped around base of seat) you're fine.

If you have the weapon on you, and you step out of the vehicle to get to the trunk to store the weapon - the entire time you are walking from the driver's seat to the trunk, you are breaking the law.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline RANGER 01

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 11:47:54 PM »
Thanks Guys
Dick
My Oath, taken in 1959, to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic,still STANDS

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 09:43:40 AM »
You should be okay with that procedure as long as you don't work for the school.  :)  Don't forget to take that round out of the chamber if you're one of those guys!  :)
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 07:21:16 PM »
Why do you place the gun in your lock box with the clip out? I store mine when necessary in the same condition I carry it in. If its safe on your person to carry about it is safe to store in a locked and secured box. It least I believe so. Not that I feel its a bad idea, just curious.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 07:34:10 PM by Wildgoose »

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 04:32:46 PM »
Federal laws give you the right to carry pretty much anywhere if the gun and ammo are separate and locked away inaccessible to driver or passengers.  Actually, that my not cover you however if you stop somewhere where local restrictions are stronger.  The Federal law is intended to allow transport from one place where you can legally possess the firearm to another.  Some state laws echo this, as in Missouri (at least several years ago) where you could drive through the state without worrying about Missour law, but if you stopped anywhere (other than for gas or something) you would be governed by applicable Missouri laws.  In other words, if your destination was in Missouri you had to follow their rules, if you were simply passing through, federal law was accepted.  However, in Nebraska, with a CHP, you are okay to leave ammo in the gun as long as it meets the other stipulations (locked in a secure compartment within the vehicle...glove box, trunk, secured gun safe, etc.).
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline wrenrj1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 07:51:46 PM »
69-2441 (1)(a) A permitholder may carry a concealed
 handgun anywhere in Nebraska, except any: Police, sheriff, or
 Nebraska State Patrol station or office; detention facility, prison,
 or jail; courtroom or building which contains a courtroom; polling
 place during a bona fide election; meeting of the governing body of a
 county, public school district, municipality, or other political
 subdivision; meeting of the Legislature or a committee of the
 Legislature; financial institution; professional or semiprofessional
 athletic event; building, grounds, vehicle, or sponsored activity or
 athletic event of any public, private, denominational, or parochial
 elementary, vocational, or secondary school, a private postsecondary
 career school as defined in section 85-1603, a community college, or
 a public or private college, junior college, or university;
place of
 worship;...

This would indicate that you cannot have a weapon in your vehicle while on school grounds.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 08:04:54 PM »
Nebraska Revised Statute 69-2441
...(3) A permitholder carrying a concealed handgun in a vehicle or on his or her person while riding in or on a vehicle into or onto any parking area, which is open to the public, used by any location listed in subdivision (1)(a) of this section, does not violate this section if, prior to exiting the vehicle, the handgun is locked inside the glove box, trunk, or other compartment of the vehicle, a storage box securely attached to the vehicle, or, if the vehicle is a motorcycle, a hardened compartment securely attached to the motorcycle. This subsection does not apply to any parking area used by such location when the carrying of a concealed handgun into or onto such parking area is prohibited by federal law.

You can have the firearm secured in your car while on school property.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 08:22:42 AM »
Isn't it a ***** that the laws can be so confusing, vague, and often seemingly contradictory?  I think they write them that way in order to provide jobs for lawyers.  My son's a lawyer, so I guess I should be thankful.  :)