< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Guns and Faith  (Read 2189 times)

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
Guns and Faith
« on: February 01, 2009, 07:30:35 PM »
Please don't misread me when I mention the word Christian on a firearms site.  Actually, my wife and children at one point asked me to explain how I can be a Christian and yet an ardent supporter of gun rights, concealed carry, etc.

So, just in case there's anyone else in that boat, here's a good website to start with:

http://www.christiangunowner.com/index.html

That site has several good reads.  This one is on the negatives of "gun control":

http://www.christiangunowner.com/gun_control.html

And then the fam asked me how I can justify shooting someone in self-defense and yet profess the Christian faith.  This article from that same site helps out:

http://www.christiangunowner.com/christian_first.html
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Guns and Faith
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 08:53:41 PM »
Bookmarked.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Rule#.308

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 10:42:27 AM »
I guess I have to mention the instructor I took my conceal carry instruction from.  He told my class that he has given conceal carry class to a group of Nuns who had been robbed when their car broke down.  The Nuns were granted permission from the Arch Bishop to obtain their conceal carry, their reason being they were often in charge of children and what may have happened if children had been present when they were robbed.
The NRA publication American Rifleman ran a story about the Von Mar shooting here in Omaha and how a conceal carry holder was there but had gotten to the front door, saw the sign banning conceal carry, so he returned to his car to leave his weapon before going in.  When the shooting started he said he was close enough to see the shooter smile.  Now the question I ask myself here is what if he had his firearm and was able to put the shooter down and in the process had saved only one life?  One would have been worth it of course, the real question is how many more might he have saved.
The bottom line is, "You have the right to defend yourself" and God knows this and I think approves of it.  If He did not and we all took the stance of cowing to bullies, we would all be hostage to a few insanely violent people.
Don't pick a fight with an old man.  If he's to old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 09:53:42 AM »
On the question of "How can you be a Christian and carry a gun?", I explain it like this:

I believe in free will.  God works through people, and so does the Other Side.  If The Enemy sends one of his minions to kill me or those I am responsible for, I would be dishonoring the gift of Life God gave me to allow that to happen.  I will not allow that to happen, so I carry the hardware and skills to facilitate that.

Offline iiranger

• Forum Member
As the song puts it... Re: Guns and Faith
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 12:31:49 PM »
"I will lay down my sword and shield, Down by the riverside, Down by the riverside..." etc. that is before crossing the river into glory land where guns will not be needed but the master will have a "rod of iron and rule with it for 1,000 years!"

Offline Aldo

• NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 09:28:13 AM »
Rule, see Joe's Crabby Shack here .......

http://joemerchant24.blogspot.com/2007/12/firsthand-account-of-von-maur-shooting.html

and here....

http://joemerchant24.blogspot.com/2007/12/update-on-firsthand-account.html

Whoa.  Powerfully moving account....I am a very visual person, and even though "seeing" in my mind doesn't come close to what he experienced and felt, my heart began pounding more and more as I read that account.

Thanks for sharing, JimP.

I wonder if VonMaur still has its no carry sign up?

On the question of "How can you be a Christian and carry a gun?", I explain it like this:

I believe in free will.  God works through people, and so does the Other Side.  If The Enemy sends one of his minions to kill me or those I am responsible for, I would be dishonoring the gift of Life God gave me to allow that to happen.  I will not allow that to happen, so I carry the hardware and skills to facilitate that.

Great explanation!  I am jotting that one down. Thanks again for sharing.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 09:32:25 AM by Aldo »
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 11:32:17 PM »
You are welcome.  I wrestled long and hard with that, until I came to the conclusion that if I believed I had no alternative- kill or be killed- I would not be responsible for the attacker's death.  The guilt would lie with the attacker. 

As my Very Catholic Aunt puts it: You do the best you can in the situation you are in with the resources you have to work with.  If you are still alive at the end of the day, there is time for reflection and/or contrition. 

Offline Aldo

• NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 09:23:43 PM »
As my Very Catholic Aunt puts it: You do the best you can in the situation you are in with the resources you have to work with.  If you are still alive at the end of the day, there is time for reflection and/or contrition. 

Very wise advice from your Aunt.  Back East I was raised Catholic, and my folks didn't believe me when I would come home from catechism and tell them that the nuns were beating the bejeebees out of me with rulers and big metal rings on their fingers.  Nothing against Catholics, but that was my only (and last) exposure; so I went to the "wild side" for about 2 decades, and then came to find my path in Christian faith back in '95.

But I do like what your Aunt said!!!  Way cool...and very applicable to the issue at hand!
www.everreadyccw.com

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 09:31:01 PM »
Hey Rule, What issue of American Rifleman was that story about Von Maur in??? I missed that one. My bad. I never heard there was a conceal carry holder around there. It doesn't surprise me though that I didn't hear about that knowing our local media.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Rule#.308

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 09:58:16 PM »
I'll have to look and see if I still have it but I think it was somewhere between July and Oct.
Don't pick a fight with an old man.  If he's to old to fight, he'll just kill you.