< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Nice little Kitty!  (Read 1487 times)

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
Nice little Kitty!
« on: February 01, 2009, 09:29:16 PM »
So Kim and I aren't real big Football fans, so we got bored at the end of the first half (can't say the same about the 2nd half!) and decided to run into town to pick up some junk food. About a quarter mile down the road from the house from out of nowhere this bobcat comes darting across the road right in front of us. I nailed the brakes at the first sign of movement in the ditch before I even knew what it was (2nd nature when you live in the country and drive at night) or we would have probably nailed it. Just thought we'd share since that is the first bobcat either of us have seen in the wild. I had the wonderful fortune of seeing a mountain lion many years ago, so to now see a bobcat is really cool, even though both views were only for a couple of seconds.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Nice little Kitty!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 09:17:58 AM »
I saw a bobcat up close and personal once.....
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 09:40:17 AM »
.... they look a lot lot bigger than they are when they are coming at you fast...... this one mistook my gloved hands for a prey item (I was cammoed up and calling for turkey, and my freezing hands were the only part of me that was moving)....... I did not see the cat at all until it was preparing to pounce, less han 30 feet away.......  He pounced, and I screamed ("like a litlle girl", I am told- my hunting buddy was set up just behind me a bit, saw the cat come in, and nearly peed himself from laughing at me......), and tried to back up through the tree I had set up against........ the 'cat stopped about 6 inches from the business end of my shotgun, eyes bugged out as big as mine...... hissed, turned and ran back to the point he had pounced from, looked over his shoulder, and dissapeared like smoke on a breeze....... I was still screaming, curse words beginning to form, and my buddy was rolling, slapping the ground, laughing hysterically.........
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 11:08:16 PM »
Wow, I love this country.
Definitely a rare sight.

Thanks For the report and Jim's story.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline Racecarl

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 11:15:16 PM »
I was tromping through a creek bed attempting to cross from one field to another in order to get the loader tractor.  I stopped short of stepping on a bobcat about 3 feet away.  It was VERY cold and he was curled up at the base of a tree attempting to soak up a little sunshine.  All I had for any kind of self defense was 2 layers of clothes and my pliars.  He jumped up an ran away--boy was I glad.  I sue wouldn't want to tangle with one of them.