< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Starting my first NFA project, wish me luck.  (Read 2080 times)

Offline Dtrain323i

• Powder Benefactor
Starting my first NFA project, wish me luck.
« on: January 06, 2012, 11:59:25 AM »
I'm going to be building an SBR in 10mm and hopefully suppressed. I'll be taking pictures as I go and posting them here. I'm probably going to go get the paperwork rolling next week.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Starting my first NFA project, wish me luck.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 01:00:44 PM »
sweet!  what kind of upper, lower, barrel length, etc are you planning on using?  you know you can register it in any caliber and use multiple short uppers as long as you store it in the original configuration?

i should have my Form 1 hopefully next month.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Dtrain323i

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 10:01:03 PM »
sweet!  what kind of upper, lower, barrel length, etc are you planning on using?  you know you can register it in any caliber and use multiple short uppers as long as you store it in the original configuration?

i should have my Form 1 hopefully next month.

It's a Palmetto State Armory lower (can't be $56 dollars shipped) and an upper from Ron Williams. I want to go short (like 7.5-8 inches) and slap a suppressor on it. But we'll see how it goes budget wise :P

Optics wise I want to go with an aimpoint CompM3 with magpul MBUS

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 01:08:03 AM »
going under 10.5 inches voids most (if not all) manufacturers warrantys.  im not sure how they can tell, but i guess the manufacturers can.

im doing just about the same things.  PSA lower and upper and a 11.5" barrel w/ MOE stock, grips, handguard, etc.  ill post pics as soon as i get approved.  "IF" i get a suppressor, it will be a 7.62 caliber.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 01:01:58 AM »
10mm since it would be supersonic will be as loud as a full power rifle.  You can do some custom downloads but that would be 40 SW.   Might want to look at 300 Blackout, in the AR platform will cycle super/subsonic, not have to use unknown custom magazines, flatter trajectory than a pistol caliber.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 01:07:40 AM »
Oh and luck is wished.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 11:53:10 AM »
Oh and luck is wished.

And patience. Stamps are taking over 5mos currently, I know this since I have two forms pending that I mailed in early August. I would guess the upcoming election will do nothing to help alleviate the nonsense. Sorry for being a kill-joy, you'll love it when it's done AND the wait will build character....how's that for making lemonade?

Btw, I have never seen/heard/read about a 10mm AR SBR (not that I've been looking) so you definitely have the rare aspect going for you.  As mentioned the .300 Blackout is all the rage now for suppressed purposes.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline Dtrain323i

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 09:30:28 AM »
And patience. Stamps are taking over 5mos currently, I know this since I have two forms pending that I mailed in early August. I would guess the upcoming election will do nothing to help alleviate the nonsense. Sorry for being a kill-joy, you'll love it when it's done AND the wait will build character....how's that for making lemonade?

Btw, I have never seen/heard/read about a 10mm AR SBR (not that I've been looking) so you definitely have the rare aspect going for you.  As mentioned the .300 Blackout is all the rage now for suppressed purposes.

I did actually think about going with a .300 Blackout. I may still end up going that route now since I discovered that grease gun mags are too wide for the AR mag well.

Offline m0par

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 05:09:58 AM »
I don't know if you're still considering either the 10mm or the 300blk, but...

I just recently tried a 45ACP build.

Most people who speak of RMW's pistol caliber uppers have nothing but praise. My experience has been less than stellar. Just my luck, I suppose, but I've given up for now. Its getting changed to a 300blk.

I don't think I'd try again without using a dedicated lower meant for unmodified GG mags, which would mean another 6+ month wait for the SBR stamp. I'm not sure I want one that badly.
"Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty."--John Basil Barnhill

Offline Dtrain323i

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 09:57:36 PM »
I don't know if you're still considering either the 10mm or the 300blk, but...

I just recently tried a 45ACP build.

Most people who speak of RMW's pistol caliber uppers have nothing but praise. My experience has been less than stellar. Just my luck, I suppose, but I've given up for now. Its getting changed to a 300blk.

I don't think I'd try again without using a dedicated lower meant for unmodified GG mags, which would mean another 6+ month wait for the SBR stamp. I'm not sure I want one that badly.

Well, I found out that a regular AR lower doesn't fit GG mags and I don't want to drop the $375 for the dedicated lower so I may end up going the .300blk route.