< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Cooper on Attitude  (Read 745 times)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
Cooper on Attitude
« on: January 09, 2012, 06:57:15 PM »
I have often preached that the proper antidote to fear is anger, and I see no reason to change my opinion on this. However, there is another mental condition that serves as well or possibly better, and that is concentration.  I have discussed this matter at great length with people who are in a position to know, and I am not without experience of my own, and I can state positively that when you find yourself facing deadly danger, your ability to concentrate every mental faculty upon doing what needs to be done to save yourself leaves no room for fear. If it happens that return fire is the best solution to your danger, you are fortunate, because if you have organized yourself properly your total preoccupation with your front sight and trigger control will have become automatic; and therefore you cannot fear your enemy's bullet since you are simply too busy concentrating on hitting him. I think this truth is incontrovertible, but we certainly see that large numbers of people who get involved in street fights, on either side of the law, have never heard of it.

-Jeff Cooper-
    Jeff Cooper's Commentaries
    Vol. 1, No. 6
    2 September 1993
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Cooper on Attitude
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 06:59:58 PM »
Good stuff,as always!
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 08:27:22 PM »
Very good reading, thanks for sharing.
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 10:06:40 PM »
I remember reading Col. Cooper when I was growing up.  They just don't make gun writers like him anymore.