< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Ar-15 mid-length Handguard question  (Read 2132 times)

Offline ComedianX

• NFOA Full Member
Ar-15 mid-length Handguard question
« on: January 11, 2012, 12:24:31 PM »
I'm looking to get a new quad rail handguard for my Mid-length. My question is, should I go with a free float, 2 piece free float or a 2 piece drop in?? I know the drop in is pretty easy, how difficult is it to put either free floats?? Thanks!

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Ar-15 mid-length Handguard question
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 01:11:13 PM »
Most free floats will require you to remove your front sight.  Not hard with the proper tools, but you will need some specialized gear. 

Offline ComedianX

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 01:16:28 PM »
How good are the 2-piece free floats?

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 04:34:43 PM »
I'm not sure, I've never handled one.  Maybe someone else here will have some experience with them.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 06:16:58 PM »
I've not seen a two piece that was worth much, especially of you are going to hang optics or a front backup sight on it. If you have a front sight / gas block all in one then you will need to do some work to get it off. Google and a dremel tool are your friends. If you decide to do this, get a free float and a new gas block, then put a front sight on top of the gas block. I think Palmetto State Armory has some YHM free float rigs that are reasonable priced. You'll need a barrel wrench too - borrow or buy  - they aren't very expensive.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 07:13:29 PM »
If your existing front sight is a pinned on A2 style you should be able to just drive out the pins with a punch.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 07:31:22 PM »
Daniel Defense Omega rail is a 2 piece  free float and requires no modification of the rifle. I have 2 and they are high grade equipment, very easy to install, weigh less than the plastic handguards they replace, and come with a free set of ladder rail protectors

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Daniel-Defense-Omega-Rail-Mide-Length-Free-Float-p/dd%2010002.htm
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 07:42:14 PM »
I have a used one of these coming in a few days.  It clamps to the standard barrel nut and is a 2-piece design.  I will let you know how it is when I get it. 

I paid about 35% of retail for it by getting it used from the ARFCOM Equipment Exchange.  That's where I buy almost all my AR parts, used and new.

http://www.samson-mfg.com/ar-15_html/product/STAR-M.html

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline ComedianX

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 09:49:31 AM »
Thanks everyone! I have looked at alot of them, but for some reason I keep going back to the DD Omega! Farmer, definitely let me know when you get it installed, i would like to know exactly what is needed to install it. Thanks!!