< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Heineman to appoint Hastings lawyer Les Seiler to Dist. 33 seat.  (Read 1674 times)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/bdb3ab5b3fcf4571bd11eb6cce35d3c8/NE-XGR--Senate-Seat/

LINCOLN, Neb. — Gov. Dave Heineman has announced his appointment to fill an open seat in the Nebraska Legislature.

Heineman is scheduled to hold a news conference Saturday to announce that he has chosen Les Seiler of Hastings for
the vacancy.

Anyone have info on this person?  Good or bad for our cause?
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Heineman to appoint Hastings lawyer Les Seiler to Dist. 33 seat.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 05:59:02 PM »
Darn....I was hoping for Jane Kleeb.....NOT !!!!

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 08:23:52 PM »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 10:35:24 AM »
Too bad the governor didn't request an NRA grade report on the candidates before deciding.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 02:10:55 PM »
Too bad the governor didn't request an NRA grade report on the candidates before deciding.

A&H do you remember something about Les Seiler that would be a note of concern.  From what I saw of his history he has not held any kind of office in over 20 years so the NRA's gradeing most likely had nothing on him.

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 02:27:40 PM »
AAllen:

No, I have no relevant information about Seiler.  I was just saying it would have been nice if the governor could have somehow managed to get the NRA questionnaire completed by the applicants for the position so that he (and perhaps we) might have had some relevant info on them in that regard.  It won't probably come into play (the NRA rating) until Seiler runs for reelection, if he does.  Hard to say for sure from the info someone else linked to earlier what his stand on gun rights might be...former military, but also apparently a religious background.  Neither really means much for sure.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 07:49:36 PM »
No, I have no relevant information about Seiler.  I was just saying it would have been nice if the governor could have somehow managed to get the NRA questionnaire completed by the applicants for the position so that he (and perhaps we) might have had some relevant info on them in that regard.

Um, why would the governor have been interested in having people take the NRA questionnaire?  I can understand why _we_ would have been interested, but why on earth would the governor even think about doing so?   
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 08:19:22 PM »
I just thought that since the governor had an A+ rating himself, he might have a personal interest in the stance the candidates have when it comes to guns and gun legislation.  Don't you think the governor would care, if not for his personal interest, then perhaps for the political advantage, or disadvantage a particular appointment may have?

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 08:38:25 PM »
I just thought that since the governor had an A+ rating himself, he might have a personal interest in the stance the candidates have when it comes to guns and gun legislation.  Don't you think the governor would care, if not for his personal interest, then perhaps for the political advantage, or disadvantage a particular appointment may have?

Actually, I'm thinking that he would most likely much prefer to have that knowledge, but not have it be public in case that particular aspect became a liability.  While obviously we would all prefer our government folks to all be A+ rated, not everyone thinks so, and to stay in office, political types need to keep all sorts of people happy. 

If he knew what the people thought but it wasn't public knowledge, he could either release or keep hidden that knowledge for specific events and requirements.  Sometimes being pro-gun is helpful, sometimes it isn't for political types.  If he wants the gun vote, he later tells everyone he appointed A+ people.  If he needs the support of people who hate guns, he keeps that hidden and tells them something else.

So no, I'm not surprised that he didn't make any information like that public.  :)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 09:14:03 AM »
jthhapkido:

I agree with your thoughts on this, and I don't know what Heineman would have done if he'd had the background on these applicants.  I doubt there was even a possibility that the NRA would have provided their questionnaires to these applicants anyway, nor would they have provided their ratings (based on them) solely to Heineman.

I guess I should have left Heineman out of it and just said I wish "we" could have somehow gotten ratings of the applicants similar to those given by the NRA to candidates for regular elections.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 09:50:02 AM »
Ben Nelson had an A+ rating....draw your own conclusions, but sometimes the candidate/office holder's beliefs and values outweigh the NRAs thoughts whether I choose to support them or not. 

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 10:08:48 AM »
Yep.  Gun rights are important to me, but only one issue I look at when evaluating a candidate.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 03:28:57 PM »
Oh yeah?  That's nothing compared to Jane's qualifications... after all, she's BOLD!!!

::)

Jeez, go visit that BOLD site!  ACK!  Truly a gathering place for those who prefer to feel as opposed to think.

What tools.

Belligerent Obnoxious Liberal Democrats
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 05:17:03 PM »
Lorimor for Governor (and Clint for Lt Gov)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 07:26:31 AM »
Lorimor for Governor (and Clint for Lt Gov)

Can you imagine the heart attacks that would cause?  The Governor shoots guns!!  And he LIKES it!  He reads Rand!  And Cooper!  And Heinlein! 

He believes individuals should be held accountable for their actions! 

Nope, it'd never fly. 

:)
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 08:08:26 AM »
In Nebraska, it might.  The trick is to get past the liberal media hype that scares the undecideds and I-don't-cares into voting for the other guy.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 04:24:33 AM »
From what I've heard, Seiler "dabbles in guns" like Charlie Sheen "dabbles in intoxicants." He is an ally on the gun issue.