< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Toured the Hornady factory today.  (Read 5352 times)

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
Toured the Hornady factory today.
« on: January 18, 2012, 02:23:17 PM »
We all know about their reloading equipment but I was most interested in the heavy bullet making machinery and the process they used. If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them. I recommend it if you are ever in the area.  I toured in a large group prearranged. You would have to contact them on their touring info.
It was quite the process from casting 300# ingots and then churning out lead wire at the needed diameter in a 700 ton press. The wire squirts out very hot. Jackets are cupped from large spooled sheets of copper and then sent to the rows and rows of large presses along with the cores cut from the spools of lead wire.
Big game mounts from all around the globe fill the main lobby and offices. Final stop takes you past Steve H's office where a .50 Cal. Browning rests on a tripod as a reminder to get back to work! My father enjoyed it as well.
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Toured the Hornady factory today.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 02:59:07 PM »
That would be a neat tour. I would have a problem keeping my hands off stuff...

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 03:09:57 PM »
As a Hornady dealer back in 1969 I was given a personal tour of the place by Joyce Hornady himself.  Haven't been back since...  bet it would be like stepping through a time warp. 

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 03:58:25 PM »
Reminds me of touring the Weavers potato chip factory in Lincoln on a field trip when I was in 3rd grade.  The first question everybody asked was:

Did they give out any samples???

66BigBlock
I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 04:14:24 PM »
That would be a neat tour. I would have a problem keeping my hands off stuff...
Don't go then.  Molten lead is hot and large presses will eat your hands.  LOL
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 05:01:26 PM »
I went with a neighbor a couple of months ago, and it was pretty good.  Our guide gave us a 45 cal. bullet right out of the bucket.  Wanted to see where the bullets and brass come together, but that wasn't in the tour.  The tunnel was pretty neat though, where they test fire all the rounds.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 05:20:04 PM »
I just want to go and buy a bunch of factory seconds.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 07:10:07 PM »
Wonder if you can get factory seconds like that... Probably not, but if you could I would move to GI  :laugh:

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 07:14:55 PM »
Wonder if you can get factory seconds like that... Probably not, but if you could I would move to GI  :laugh:

Can't buy ammo, but can buy bullets (seconds), hats etc.  They were out of 45, 9, and 40 cal when I was there.  But then again I don't reload, if they had some I would have bought 'em and sold them to someone on the forum.

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 09:57:44 AM »
The seconds I've encountered over the years were usually good bullets.  You will want to see them in person before buying but they will reject bullets for very minor things like discoloration.  I have seen weight/size variances and misplaced canelures but that is rare.  You can buy these at the factory.  That target will not know what color the bullet was! LOL.  For hunting, their regular retail bullets are as good as they get.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 08:24:51 AM »
I've had very good luck buying factory second Hornady bullets.  I've heard (not sure if it's true) that they always cull the first "x" number of bullets produced in a run, just to make sure everything is consistent.  When I've bought them they've shot just fine.

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 11:04:30 AM »
I was lucky enough to score a nice supply of Honady 300gr. 405 Winchester factory seconds some time back. As these are pretty pricy bullets off the shelf they have made great hunting and informal target loads for my 1895 Winchester. 8)
An older gentelman sold them to Nebraska Gun and a firend of mine was there when he did it. My buddy gave me a heads up on it and I went down and bought the lot. 

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 08:16:26 AM »
metaldoc - that's impressive touring the plant with Mrs. Hornady.

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 02:24:24 PM »
metaldoc - that's impressive touring the plant with Mrs. Hornady.

Joyce Hornady was a he... and the founder of Hornady Mfg.