< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: CMP Rimfire Sporter match (bring your kids!)  (Read 3340 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
CMP Rimfire Sporter match (bring your kids!)
« on: January 21, 2012, 12:18:53 PM »
Ok, as we mentioned in another thread Sparky0068 and I are starting up a CMP Rimfire Sporter match in Lincoln.  The whole idea behind this match is to create an affordable and easy way for people to participate in competitive rifle shooting.  The rules are specifically written to limit the gear that can be used and prevent it from turning into an equipment race.  People have taken medals at the Nationals at Camp Perry with a $150 Savage bolt action and a $20 scope, so there's no need to spend a bunch of money.

Anyone who can handle a rifle safely is welcome to compete.  We especially would like to see a lot of kids involved, so please spread the word and bring those junior shooters along!  This is a great low pressure and low cost way to get kids involved in competitive shooting.  Entry fee is $10.

Here's a quick rundown of the rules.  The official rulebook can be downloaded at http://www.odcmp.co/Competitions/rimfire.pdf.

Equipment needed

Note:  the requirements below are for the official CMP sanctioned match.  We will eventually be holding sanctioned matches, but if your rifle does not meet the criteria feel free to come out and shoot with us.  You can still compete, we just won't be able to submit your scores to the CMP.

1.  Rifle - any safe rifle chambered in .22LR.  Maximum weight is 7.5lbs (weighed without sling attached).  No fluted barrels.  Peep sights and scopes up to a max of 6x magnification compete in Telescopic (T) class.  Open sights compete in Open sight (O) class.  Minimum trigger weight is 3lbs.

2.  A shooting sling is not required but is highly recommended.  Either a leather or fabric GI type sling will work well.  I will have some extras for people to borrow.

3.  Eye and ear protection - All spectators and competitors must have adequate eye and ear protection.  No exceptions!

4.  Empty chamber indicator - Whenever a rifle is not being shot it must be grounded and have a chamber flag.  We will have extras to loan out if you do not have one.

5.  A spotting scope is allowed but not required.

6.  Some sort of shooting mat (a blanket or foam camping roll will work) is not required but recommended to keep you out of the dirt.

7.  Shooting coats, shooting boots, etc are NOT allowed.  You may wear a long sleeved shirt or sweatshirt to keep the sling from rubbing on your arm.  Elbow/knee pads are NOT allowed.  Special shooting gloves are also NOT allowed, however you may wear a regular work glove on your off hand.

8.  60 rounds of .22LR ammunition, plus extra rounds for sighters before the match starts.

Course of Fire

We will start every match with a safety briefing which will include a review of the course of fire.  After the safety briefing we will have a 10 minute sight in period.  You are allowed to fire as many rounds as you wish during sight in.

1.  Sighter Stage - 10 minutes, unlimited rounds at 50 yards (not for score)
2.  Stage 1 - Prone, 10 rounds in 10 minutes at 50 yards. 
3.  Stage 2 - Start standing and transition to prone.  2 series of 5 rounds each (mandatory reload) at 50 yards.  25 seconds for semi auto rifles, 30 seconds for bolt action.
4.  Stage 3 - Sitting or kneeling.  10 rounds in 10 minutes at 50 yards.
5.  Stage 4 - Start standing and transition to sitting or kneeling.  2 series of 5 rounds each (mandatory reload) at 50 yards.  25 seconds for semi auto rifles, 30 seconds for bolt action.
6.  Stage 5 - Standing, 10 shots in 10 minutes at 25 yards.
7.  Stage 6 - Standing (start with rifle at your hip).   2 series of 5 rounds each (mandatory reload) at 25 yards.  25 seconds for semi auto rifles, 30 seconds for bolt action.

Schedule

All match times are set for 11:00 and from start to finish it should take roughly 2 hours.  We will follow the Vintage Rifle Match that is held on the same day, so if that match ends early we can start the sight in process early.

April 14th
May 19th
June 9th
July 21st
August 18th
September 15th
October 20th

If you have any questions let me know!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 02:06:48 PM by bkoenig »

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Re: CMP Rimfire Sporter match (bring your kids!)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 12:26:08 PM »
I've got an awesome Winchester Model 52, but I think the trigger weight is less than 3 lbs and the rifle weight may be over 7.5 lbs too.  I have have to check it out.  It is one of my favorite guns...accurate as snot, beautifully preserved, and a beautiful old gun.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline sparky0068

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 01:15:09 PM »
I've got an awesome Winchester Model 52, but I think the trigger weight is less than 3 lbs and the rifle weight may be over 7.5 lbs too.  I have have to check it out.  It is one of my favorite guns...accurate as snot, beautifully preserved, and a beautiful old gun.

Fly

Yes the 52 is too heavy for a sanctioned match.  I will have weapons for loan if you supply ammo.
KD0LKT

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 01:17:15 PM »
Yes the 52 is too heavy for a sanctioned match.

Meps!

I will have weapons for loan if you supply ammo.

Thanks for the offer.  I also have a Marlin 60, but I was just hoping the 52 would work.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 10:40:32 PM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Bigtony

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 01:54:04 PM »
Do you have to be an Ike's member to partipate or watch?

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 02:05:59 PM »
No, it's open to everyone.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 02:07:16 PM »
Edited original post to add entry fee.

Offline dkarp

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 11:32:50 AM »
Open to all ages, correct? Maybe I could talk my wife into this, I am sure she would enjoy it. My son is too young, only 4 years old......

But I do have a nephew that is in the 6th grade, would be perfect for him.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 11:44:54 AM »
Yes, all ages are welcome as long as they can safely handle a firearm.  If you'd like to be on the line to help coach your son that would be ok.  We'll also make an effort to help out new shooters if they need some pointers.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 10:22:20 PM »
Ordered the targets a couple of days ago....just a little over one month until the first match.  It's getting warmer, so it's time to get out to the range and practice your position shooting.  Bench shooting is for sissies  :laugh:  :P ;D

Offline sparky0068

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 10:50:55 PM »
Bench shooting is for sissies  :laugh:  :P ;D

What he said!
KD0LKT

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 10:53:21 PM »
Bench shooting is for sissies

No, bench shooting is impractical.  Tough guys can shoot off a bench or with a bipod...... but so can gear geeks..... for practical purposes, you can't always rely on a bench.... somtimes, you must rely on you.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 11:26:38 PM »
Yeah, just joking - benchrest just isn't my thing, except when testing a load for accuracy.  I will admit it definitely amplifies recoil though.  I have a 45-70 that is a pussycat to shoot from prone, seated, or standing, but kicks my butt when I've tried it from a bench.

My view is that in the real world, whether it's hunting or self defense, you won't have a nice solid concrete bench to shoot from, so why practice with one?  To each his own, though.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 12:03:10 AM »
My view is that in the real world, whether it's hunting or self defense, you won't have a nice solid concrete bench to shoot from, so why practice with one?  To each his own, though.

I share that with you: Benches and rests are for proving the accuracy of systems (rifle/sights/loads) and after that, the shooter should strive to shoot up to the capabilities of his equipment....... too many, esp. young shooters, get caught up in gear these days, spending thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours getting a sub MOA rifle, a ginormous moonscope and a handload that has unobtainium as a prime component, when they can not hold to 8" @100 yards if made to stand on their own two feet......

Jeff Cooper wrote of it 20+ years ago, and it is still true today: "What good is it to redouble your efforts after you have lost sight of your goal?"
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 09:37:15 PM »
Speaking of benchrest, I tried out my new barrel today to find what ammo it shoots best.  I think it likes Ultramatch....

At $15 for a box of .22 I think I might shoot something cheaper though. 

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 10:02:16 PM »
How many feet was that?
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 10:11:05 PM »
5 shots at 25 yards.  That was the best group of the day, measured about .215" center to center.  Most of them were more like .25".

In reality, that is way overkill for this match.  A stock 10/22 is more than accurate enough to clean the target and take first place.  I just like a heavy barrel for shooting offhand since it's a lot steadier.  The shooter is definitely the limiting factor here.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 10:32:42 PM by bkoenig »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 10:38:41 PM »
Ok, good news everyone.  I am apparently really bad at reading comprehension, because Jesse pointed out to me that the rapid fire stages in this match are two SEPARATE strings of 5 shots each.  I had read it as 10 rounds in 25 or 30 seconds, with a mag change.  That's doable if you have a detachable mag, but it would make the tube fed guns virtually useless.  The way it actually works is you shoot a string of 5 rounds with 25 seconds for autoloaders and 30 for everyone else.  Then, you have a 1 minute prep period to reload, and then you shoot a second 5 round string.  That's more than enough time to load a tube magazine.

So, if you have a Marlin 60 or Remington 572 bring it out.  You just might school us 10/22 guys.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 08:40:34 AM »
Sweet, Marlin 60s for Everyone! I've got one for me, one for the daughter, and one for the son. :P
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane