< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Plattsmouth City Council Meeting 11/19  (Read 5556 times)

1hickey

Re: Plattsmouth City Council Meeting 11/19
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2008, 03:58:45 PM »
Sorry I couldn't make it down for a show of support.

Seems like there is some overwhelming support for this in Plattsmouth.  Perhaps "overwhelming" is a bit too optomistic.  Anyway, are we still expecting the mayor to veto anything that comes across his desk just because it's about guns?  Will this be a long fight you think?

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2008, 05:10:21 PM »
I wouldn't say "overwhelming", but there have been more testimonies to the council in favor of concealed carry than opposed, not to mention the arguments in favor of have been much more professional in my opinion.

I have no idea what the mayor would do. I still hear many people talking like they expect a veto, but I have heard nothing about it from the mayor himself so it is anyone's guess.

On a side note, do you remember the gentlemen that spoke before the board at the meeting two weeks ago against concealed carry, and basically against firearms in general? Well, I contacted him, and after some debating of the issues, I offered to teach him the very basics of firearm safety and, after feeling comfortable that he is ready, to give him some range time with some of my firearms so that he could base his opinions on facts and personal experiences as opposed to myths and emotions. I told him eventually I would even spend an afternoon with him open carrying so he can experience the feelings of responsibility that go along with doing so. To my surprise, he accepted. He is going to go to the Sheriff's dept. this week and apply for a handgun purchase permit to prove to me that he is legally able to handle a firearm. This does not guarantee that he will change his mind in regards to firearms, and even if it did it is only one person, but every single person counts. I keep preaching that if we can change the mindset of the public, the laws will follow.

No matter what the outcome, I do have to give the guy credit for being open minded enough to give it a try.

1hickey

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2008, 05:17:43 PM »
Bravo, Jay.  Very professional and open minded of yourself.  Stuff like this can go a long way to killing the misconceptions.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2008, 12:56:30 PM »
Just looked at the agenda for tonight's meeting, and there is still nothing regarding the ordinance, the sub comittee or any names that might have expressed interest in sitting on the committee:

http://www.plattsmouth.org/asps/agenda.htm

I think it is time we speak up again during Citizen Delegations to let them know we will not allow them to sweep us under the rug.