< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Plattsmouth City Council Meeting 11/19  (Read 5555 times)

Offline Kim

• Powder Benefactor
Plattsmouth City Council Meeting 11/19
« on: November 08, 2007, 10:12:45 AM »
We are on the agenda for Monday, Nov. 19th to try to get the city's concealed carry ordinance amended. The meeting begins at 7:00 pm at City Hall in Plattsmouth.

We need to have as many people there as possible to support our side. Anyone that can carve out some time to attend would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe one evening next week after dark and deer hunting is done for the day we could get together to critique each other's testimony and make sure we are not all just repeating what someone else has already said. Let us know ahead of time when everyone can free up an hour or two.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 10:21:26 AM by Kim »

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Plattsmouth City Council Meeting 11/19
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 10:38:50 AM »
Are we getting together? When and where?
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 08:41:06 PM »
See the Goin' Shooting thread under events.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 12:26:20 PM »
Thanks to all that made it to the pre-council meeting meeting (huh?) last weekend to help get organized, as well as those that made it to the city council meeting last night. We will be working on getting the wording ironed out and submitted for the agenda for the next meeting, 12-3-07. We will definately need as much support at that meeting as we can get.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 09:52:48 PM »
I'll be there. Are we getting together beforehand? Going shooting? I've got milk jugs to get rid of......... Saturday looks crappy, weatherwise, so maybe Sunday?
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 09:54:11 PM »
Wife just told me Sunday is booked..........

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 09:19:09 AM »
I got a call from Randy. He said the city administrator asked if we could postpone the discussion until the following meeting because the police chief was going to be unavailable this coming Monday. Apparently, one of the council members that is on our side also asked if we could cooperate and postpone the discussion, so I guess that is the plan as of right now. I am working hard on trying to come up with some statistics, so a little more time won't hurt my feelings anyways to be honest. We are definately going to have to get together and get our ducks in a row before the council meeting. I am also in the process of trying to smoke out some supporters in Plattsmouth that have so far remained silent on the issue. This is going to be very interesting.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Plattsmouth City Council Meeting 12/03
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 02:18:05 PM »
Methinks this gives the antis time to marshal their forces....... don't be suprised when we are finally scheduled and walk in to standing room only............. with every square foot in the place taken up by Mrs. Fauntelroy's Society For The Preservation Of Everything.......  every bleeding heart Libtard in the County will be there, with Nebraskans For Peace and The Brady Bunch Sending Speakers........

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 02:46:59 PM »
Yeah, that is exactly what I am afraid of, but what's a guy supposed to do? Even the most supportive council member we have asked us to postpone, so I'm afraid we don't have much of a shot either way we go. I guess where I am at now is if they are going to use the time to rally, we had better do a better job of it than them.   I am hoping to have a mountain of stats and info and enough people to present it. I think not alienating the council members any more than they already are is probably the best way to go right now even though every ounce of me wants to push ahead and jam it down their throats next week.

In the meantime, I am making it a point to go to Plattsmouth every chance I get before we get on the agenda and open carry all over that town.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Plattsmouth OC
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 06:47:22 PM »
I get worried looks there, whenever someone notices at all............ condition White is more common........

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 05:36:33 PM »
The latest information I have is that the council has asked the Police chief to speak at the first council meeting in January and our group to speak at the second meeting in January.

Plattsmouth City Council meetings are the first and third Mondays each month, so that should mean:

1-7-08 Chief of Police presents information

1-21-08 Concealed carry supporters speak.

Hope to see a big turn out at both meetings.

Offline Kim

• Powder Benefactor
Plattsmouth City Council Meeting 01/07
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 08:38:22 AM »
Just a reminder that the Plattsmouth Chief of Police will be addressing the City Council Monday January 7, regarding the current concealed carry policy in Plattsmouth. Chief Paulson will give his opinions and recommendations, our turn is in two weeks.

We need to have as many people there as possible so spread the word!

I would like for us to get together and plan our statements and rebuttals as we did last time. This ensured that we had all of the issues covered and did not duplicate to much.  What's everyones schedule like? Do you want to meet after the council meeting or do it another day?

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 09:58:55 PM »
Please post whatever the Chief says please!

I have class Monday night, so cannot attend this meeting. (However I may possibly be able to attend the 1/21 meeting)

Offline Kim

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 10:35:07 PM »
Due to a teenager trying desperately to get ready for finals this week, we just now were given the computer.

We have a lot of information to go through and will post what the police chief discussed tomorrow and Wednesday for you all to see. There is a lot to go over.

We had several people at tonights meeting and have decided that next Wednesday, January 16th we will be getting together in Plattsmouth to discuss and formulate our plan of speakers and rebuttal's to tonights meeting. I know this sounds like a lot of meetings, however we need to be prepared and organized. We need to have any and all people present at the next council meeting and enough people to speak to cover many many subjects. Each speaker only gets 3 minutes to speak and between Jay and I, we can come up with an hour of topics. Please pass the word and I will let you know a time and place for Wednesdays "pre-meeting".

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 07:17:20 PM »
Just got back (last night, 2230hrs, to a flooded basement!) from skiing in CO....... WHERE are we meeting next Wednesday? Godfather's worked well last time...............

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 11:26:28 PM »
Well, I just now secured access to the computer.  >:( My stepson will not be the only one in the house who will be glad when finals week is over!  :'(

The abbreviated version of the meeting was that is was about what I expected, however it was not nearly as bad as I feared it had the potential to be. What we need to focus on for the upcoming meeting is FACTS and STATISTICS.

I will give credit to Chief Paulsen for making it a point to note that gun control is not behavioral control and is not the answer to stopping criminal acts. He also said that places displaying no gun signage were invitations to criminals for a free lunch.

The Chief stated his biggest problem with the Nebraska CHP is the training requirements. I do agree with him that the training required to get a CHP is not anywhere in the vicinity of the ballpark as what police officers are required to receive, but I do not agree with him that it is a downfall of the permit. In my opinion, common sense would dictate that most officers should probably expect to have to at least unholster if not fire their weapons at some point in the course of their careers while most CHP permit holders will live their entire lifetimes without ever having to actually pull their weapon in self defense. Also, I do not have any statistics on this, but I would be willing to make the statement that most CHP holders train more with their firearms than they are required to by law.

My biggest problem with Chief Paulsen's presentation was that his focus seemed to be that this was going to big a big hassle for both the City and the Fire/Rescue Dept.  He said that there would have to be numerous meetings and several ordinances that would have to be passed in order to bring Plattsmouth's ordinances in line with state law to ensure that permit holders who violated the terms of their permit would be subject to revocation. He seemed fixated on the fact that a state issued permit could not be revoked due to a violation of a local ordinance. What I don't understand is why he can't see that if the towns ordinance mirrored the state's, then if a town ordinance was violated, then the state law would be violated as well. In fact, the town does not even need an ordinance as the state law already dictates the guidlines a permit holder must follow. All we need to do is exempt permit holders from the town ordinance and all is well. He also made a big point about how big of a problem it would be for the rescue squad to handle a firearm in the event that the emergency room would not accept it upon arrival. Honestly, this argument was so lame that it is hard for me to make an intelligent comment on it. As a former Asst. Fire Chief and driver of a rescue squad for a department outside of Plattsmouth, I can tell you that it took about 5 minutes in one of our meetings to address our protocol on this. It is a non issue. And another thing, as a former town board member myself in my town, I will say that the purpose of the town board, and the Fire Department for that matter, is to serve the wishes of the people of the community, and I don't care if it takes 50 meetings and 100 ordinances, if it is the will of the people and in the best interest of the community, then that is what needs to be done.

As far as the organizational meeting, we do not have a specific time or location set yet. I did mention that Godfather's worked out well last time, but whatever works out best for all that can make it is fine with me.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 11:34:22 PM by Jay »

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 04:15:12 PM »
I don't know about Paulsen, but I'd be willing to bet that I train more often than the average LEO.

"Close enough for Government work." comes to mind................. the paid proffessional works for "good enough". It is the passionate amatuer that works for excellence.

Offline Kim

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 09:41:41 PM »
We have just returned home from our "organizational meeting" in Plattsmouth regarding the upcoming City Council Meeting on Monday the 21st.

Thanks to everyone who made it out tonight. I think we have a great plan.

We need to have as many people as possible show at the council meeting on Monday. The meeting begins at 7pm in downtown Plattsmouth. If you need directions, please email or call us and we will provide them to you. You do not have to speak, just have your presence known.

See ya Monday!

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 09:35:16 PM »
Well, I thought things went well tonight. All three scheduled speakers did an outstanding job! Kudos to all. There were also two other speakers that got up and spoke in favor of getting rid of the ordinance, and one anti guy that made about as much sense as most antis do.  ???

Sounds like it goes to a committee made up of three council members and two citizens, which will give a recommendation to the council. I am fairly optimistic at this point, but we still need to make sure we stay on top of things.

Also, thanks to those that attended to show their support that did not speak. We definitely did not need any additional speakers. 

We would have stuck around afterwards to say hi, but we had two kids itchin' to get home and get homework finished up.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 09:37:32 PM by Jay »

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 09:58:07 PM »
I was sick as a dog, but I made it. You'll have to forgive me for not introducing myself, Mr. Zeeb. I have heard a lot about you, and read quite a bit, too. I just wouldn't wish this bug on any fellow freedom fiend. It did cross my mind to go give that anti a big sloppy kiss..................................